GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Volt has 62 miles on it. Two days ago the Check Engine Light lit up and has stayed on. I find I am able to drive without any problems, the only issue is I cannot remote start. On the key fob I press Lock and then Start (holding it down until the lights flash, which they do) but there is a click and no starting (it worked fine at the dealers). I have spoken to Onstar twice and they have found no error conditions at all. I have made an appointment to visit the dealer but it is an hour drive and I wondered if any of you have a suggestion. Thanks!:(

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
It will not remote start by any method if there is a check engine light activated.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
It will not remote start by any method if there is a check engine light activated.

This is true. If any of the conditions listed below occur, a remote start event may be aborted or cancelled:

• Vehicle doors are ajar
• Rear compartment lid is ajar
• The bonnet is open
• The doors are not locked
• The hazard switch is ON
• Vehicle power mode is incorrect
• Vehicle speed is greater than 0
• Transmission is not in P
• Excessive engine coolant temperature
• Low oil pressure
• The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) is commanded ON
• Engine crank time is greater than 30 seconds
• Excessive engine speed
• Accelerator pedal position too high
• Remote start timer equals 0
• Immobiliser system indicates a theft attempt
• Vehicle propulsion system fault conditions
• High voltage battery fault conditions

·
Registered
3,101 Posts
Stop by your local autozone or other parts store. Most will check the code for free. If you can provide us the code, we may be a little more help.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
My Volt has 62 miles on it. Two days ago the Check Engine Light lit up and has stayed on..... I have made an appointment to visit the dealer but it is an hour drive and I wondered if any of you have a suggestion. Thanks!:(
a check engine light should show onstar a code, more likely 2. Ask them again. Also you don't need to go to the selling dealer if there is a chevy dealer closer to you. I bought at one, but have had all my service done at another.

have you had any trouble opening or closing the charge port door with all the snow/ice?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
a check engine light should show onstar a code, more likely 2. Ask them again. Also you don't need to go to the selling dealer if there is a chevy dealer closer to you. I bought at one, but have had all my service done at another.

have you had any trouble opening or closing the charge port door with all the snow/ice?
I have already asked Onstar twice with the same (0) result. I did have a bit of trouble opening the charge door after a snow storm but I just pushed it a little harder and the ice seal broke, and now it works fine. My Onstar advisor assures me that it is not the charge door. Believe me, my dealer is the closest. Well, at least I enjoy traveling in the car.

·
Registered
743 Posts
The CEL will probably clear soon since most of them involve charging hiccups or gas caps not properly tightened. This is especially true if OnStar can't get a code. I'd give it a few more days unless you want to go into any dealer to get the CEL cleared earlier.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
You can take it to the dealer if you have time on your hands. Otherwise it will likely just clear. You can get a CEL for many reasons including a bad charging experience or gas cap.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Taking your suggestions I bought an ODBLink LX Bluetooth and using their App i found the following error codes: P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected, and P145E Manufacturer Defined. What do you suggest? Shall I simply clear these codes and see if the MIL/CEL lights again, or shall I leave them for the Service Department? The Service Mgr says not to clear the codes so that the mechanic has a "pathway" to work from.

·
Registered
59 Posts
Seems we've come across a common issue with the 2016 that may be related to cold weather starts. I'll ask more questions when I get in later in the week for my misfire issue. Unfortunately I don't know the actual codes I got. After several on/off cycles the CEL went out and luckily I could remote start this past weekend.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
For General Information, P145E is defined in the Volt error code manual (available on this site): "EVAP System Leak between Vent Control Valve and Leak Detection Pump (Sealed Fuel System)".

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Service Manager has ordered a replacement hose for P145E and will upgrade the software for P0300 (even though my VIN is outside the range which requires it). I will report on the result when the service is done. In the meantime I am driving with the CEL but without noticeable effect.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, got the hose replaced. Apparently there was no need to upgrade the software as my construction date included it already. The P0300 code has not repeated. Will update you all if necessary. Thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts