GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a check engine light that came on last week. I took it to the Grossinger Autoplex (GM Service in Chicago) yesterday. They state, "FOUND CODE P0D22. FOLLOWED SI DIAG TO REPROGRAM HPCM2. REPROGRAMMED HPCM2 W/ LATEST CALIBRATION. RETESTED. NO CODES SET. 2810265/0.4.

I took it on the drive home, and noticed immediately that my gas engine was coming on for at least 1/2 the way home despite having plenty of battery life.

I called back immediately and they said, "let's see if it washes itself out and call us back."

I have two pictures posted, one showing that I am averaging 210mpg (since I've owned the car - 2nd owner), and now from a simple drive to the grocery store where I'm getting now 18mpg.

Any ideas? I haven't filled my gas tank since 9/6/2014 -- so I'm not sure if this is just part of maintenance, but it honestly JUST HAPPENED RIGHT on my drive home from getting "reprogrammed". Is this normal? Do you think they screwed up? I made an appt for next week , but anyone recommend some other dealership in chicago that may be a bit more proficient in volts?

Photo Nov 27, 1 05 04 PM.jpg Photo Nov 27, 1 25 11 PM.jpg

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
If you have a 2013 - 2015 Did you check your engine running due to temperature settings? After being reprogrammed your car may have defaulted back to the higher temperature setting. Did you see a message on your DIC when the engine started?

High temp (labeled low temp) setting is 36F. Low (labeled very low) temp setting is 14F.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes it said, engine running due to temperature. You're probably right! I didn't know that there are two settings. How do I set it to be at the Low? Is that something that is recommended in colder weather (chicago).

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Config - Climate and air quality - Engine assisted heating.

Depends how warm you want to be. The gas engine is very good at making heat. The electric heater in the Volt uses a lot of power.

In Chicago which has a very similar climate to myself even on the very cold setting you are going to see some engine assisted heating this winter when the temperature dips below 15F.

I normally keep mine at very cold. However on longer trips where I know for sure I will be going well beyond my EV range I will step it to the normal cold setting. That way my gas engine is making heat and my stored electrical energy is what's moving the vehicle.

As an added note when you change the setting it doesn't immediately take effect. It will take effect after the car is re-started.

·
Registered
1,409 Posts
And yes, my experience with stop and go CS mode driving in less than optimum driving environments results in 18-20 MPG.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I would let the dealership know so that (a) they become educated and (b) they can share the tip to the next person. Otherwise for the next person that has this experience it becomes a "my dealership has no clue about Volts..." kind of thing. We can clue them in. I am doing that with my dealership on things like this. I will on this as well. They may know, but I rather mention in the event they do not.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Config - Climate and air quality - Engine assisted heating.

Depends how warm you want to be. The gas engine is very good at making heat. The electric heater in the Volt uses a lot of power.

In Chicago which has a very similar climate to myself even on the very cold setting you are going to see some engine assisted heating this winter when the temperature dips below 15F.

I normally keep mine at very cold. However on longer trips where I know for sure I will be going well beyond my EV range I will step it to the normal cold setting. That way my gas engine is making heat and my stored electrical energy is what's moving the vehicle.

As an added note when you change the setting it doesn't immediately take effect. It will take effect after the car is re-started.
I agree, note that when the reporgrammed the module they likely reset this to factory default settings.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts