GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 2013 Volt with 22K mi on it a three weeks ago. Operates fine. The check engine light has come on three times in the last two weeks. Same two codes every time. P0D22 and P0CD2. The CEL goes out on its own after a day or so.

Didn't have the problem until I started charging at 240vac. Use a Turbocord. Could the codes be related , or maybe just a coincidence?

I am reluctant to take it into the dealer for diagnosis because I may get into a wild goose chase at my expense. $100 to read the codes for example.

Anyone have a suggestion oh what I do next?
Thanks
John

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Are you by any chance unplugging the car while it is charging? This would be the case typically if you are preconditioning in the morning and the car is charging to make up for the precondition charge loss. If I unplug during this time period, it almost always throws a CEL. I use my tool to clear it when this happens. Nothing is wrong if this is what you are experiencing.

·
Registered
524 Posts
P0CD2 refers to the operation of the charge port door. Push the button. Does the charge port door open correctly? If not try a small amount of non-solvent based silicone lube on the charge door hinge and gasket.
P0D22 refers to the output of the on-board charger, This could be affected by bad wiring or interruptions in the 240v circuit charging your car. Maybe a bad connection in the house or a need to check the voltage with a meter. You could always try charging with the 120v on a known good circuit.
If the CELs keep going away it can't be too bad.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Are you by any chance unplugging the car while it is charging? This would be the case typically if you are preconditioning in the morning and the car is charging to make up for the precondition charge loss. If I unplug during this time period, it almost always throws a CEL. I use my tool to clear it when this happens. Nothing is wrong if this is what you are experiencing.
That should not be happening. Is the push button on the plug broken? When you push the button to release the plug, the charging should stop before you remove the plug.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I wondered about the possibility of my home circuit being intermittent. Don't think it is. Also wondered about my Turbo Cord being bad. The charge port door does not pop open. Will put some lube on it. Thanks.

Over the weekend we traveled to a hotel that had a charging station. Clipper Creek. I believe 240 vac. Charged over night and had a check engine light on in the morning. I think this eliminates my Turbo cord and home 240 v circuit.

Will go back to 115 v charging for a while to see if it fixes the problem.
Could there be a 240 v on board charge circuit that is not right somehow?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
CEL on again

CEL came on again.. Two codes: P1E00 and P0D22
I read them myself with a code reader I just bought. Have reset them.
P1E00 has to o with one of the control modules. Anyone now what?

Tnx
John

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Throw those codes into the search box at the top of this page. See what comes out. I bet it's not nothing, and that it'll make PERFECT sense for your situation. Then you'll know what to tell the person you're going to call about it, and (don't worry) it's not the dealer.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE...
Fault codes P1E00 and P0D22....
The Check Engine Light issue went away with the cold weather. It was fine all summer. Now it's back. It has been on essentially constantly for two weeks or more. It used to turn off after a few successful re-charges with no faults detected. So it must be seeing a fault a lot to keep it on. Charges and operates just fine except for two fault codes and frequent tripping of the GFCI breaker in the house electric panel.
The AC GFCI breaker tripped last night at 2:30 AM. The car was fully charged at the time.
Any ideas?
If not, how do I find a competent dealership to look at it? Akron/Cleveland Ohio area.
Thanks
John

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
UPDATE...
Fault codes P1E00 and P0D22....
The Check Engine Light issue went away with the cold weather. It was fine all summer. Now it's back. It has been on essentially constantly for two weeks or more. It used to turn off after a few successful re-charges with no faults detected. So it must be seeing a fault a lot to keep it on. Charges and operates just fine except for two fault codes and frequent tripping of the GFCI breaker in the house electric panel.
The AC GFCI breaker tripped last night at 2:30 AM. The car was fully charged at the time.
Any ideas?
If not, how do I find a competent dealership to look at it? Akron/Cleveland Ohio area.
Thanks
John
My guess is that you may have a hairline crack in the charging port. Possibly covered under the Voltec warranty.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Another data point.
CEL on and showing a P0D22 code.
Car fully charged, plugged in, and running.
Reset code. CEL out.
Shut car down. Restarted. No CEL.
Shut down and left plugged in overnight.
Next day CEL on again with P0D22 code.

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
It may be an issue with the charger (located behind front bumper, passenger side). Sounds like it's producing too much current.

P0D22 Battery Charger Output Current Performance

This DTC sets when current control degrades to the point where actual current exceeds an acceptable deviation (threshold) from the target or desired current.

Malfunction Criteria: Charger HV Output Current Deviation

Secondary Parameters - Enable Conditions - Time Required
Charge Control Mode - Constant Current - 150 failures out of 300 samples
Desired Current - >0.5 A
Delay Time after start of constant current control - 10 sec - 100 ms rate

charger.jpg Charger-vs.-EVSE 2.jpg

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Another data point.
CEL on and showing a P0D22 code.
Car fully charged, plugged in, and running.
Reset code. CEL out.
Shut car down. Restarted. No CEL.
Shut down and left plugged in overnight.
Next day CEL on again with P0D22 code.
At this point, you've got a choice: You can ignore the code and do nothing about it, or you can take it to a Volt-certified dealer and get it fixed. It's well beyond "some random glitch" territory, and P0D22 doesn't tell us anything other than "there might be a problem charging. Take it to the dealer."

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Problem appears fixed....
Took it into the Chevy dealer.
They reprogrammed one or more of the controller modules. Seems OK now after 4 days.
My guess is the program change widened out the limits on the fault.

John

1 - 13 of 13 Posts