GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Y'all, I could cry right now. On the way driving home from the dealership, I got a check engine light. I drove SIX HOURS to get this thing from a dealership. I ran the OBD at the dealership and no codes. The KWh since the last charge was great (over 13!) and the lifetime ranges were great. So excited, I scored! The electric range was like 2/3 full so we decided to start off towards home. On the way home (while still on electric) we stopped to eat and I recharged to full while we were eating. Everything was still great...

Then the electric runs down and it switches to the ICE. I happened to be coasting to a stop at the time - no issues as the engine turned on. Then the light turns green and I barely touch the gas pedal and WHAM. It throws like a dozen codes and the check engine light. Coolant temps started to rise so we limped to a hotel. It looks like the codes are for the EGR valve that blew a fuse (P0030, P0031, P0403, P0443, P0458, P0489, P0597, P0598, P06DA, P06DB). Salesmen says they "can't do anything until Monday" .... what do I do? I've got another 3-4 hour drive home down country back roads with crappy service. It's like 3 hours back to the dealership. I'm panicking. Any help, advice, or just words of encouragement?

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
All I can offer is sympathy. I just got my Volt back today. It sat at a dealer 350 miles from home for 9 weeks after a failed EGR valve. I had to rent a car to get home, then had to hire a car transport trucking company to bring it home when repaired. Some have had good luck by just unplugging the EGR and replacing the fuse and driving it until the new EGR comes in.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
All I can offer is sympathy. I just got my Volt back today. It sat at a dealer 350 miles from home for 9 weeks after a failed EGR valve. I had to rent a car to get home, then had to hire a car transport trucking company to bring it home when repaired. Some have had good luck by just unplugging the EGR and replacing the fuse and driving it until the new EGR comes in.
I’m so sorry to hear that and thanks for the input man.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
712 Posts
Same here. I bought my 2012 used hoping it was going to be a reliable car, it has been a constant battle and some days I am ready to get rid of it.

To the OP, keep your head up, hopefully it’s a simple repair, and be sure to post back often if you ever seem to get stuck. We have many good people on this forum.

As far as getting a tow or ride, maybe someone local to you could chime in.

·
Registered
87 Posts
The pull the EGR connector and replace the fuse technique sounds like a good temporary fix. But which specific fuse does one replace for the Gen 2 EGR failure? The manual lists "emissions" fuses but not the EGR. .

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
480 Posts
is it still called the "non-walk home" fuse?

·
Registered
2011 Premium, Nav (added back-up camera! :)
480 Posts
non walk home fuse maybe? this is from the 2017 manual online
Circuit component Rectangle Font Audio equipment Gadget

Font Material property Number Parallel

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Update: we just got home. The fuse trick worked enough to get us home, but the valve is definitely shot. Praying the dealership will do the right thing and help get this fixed, but since I’m 6+ hours away I don’t have high hopes.

·
Premium Member
2012 Volt Premium (Cyber Gray Metallic) - Stock
712 Posts
Update: we just got home. The fuse trick worked enough to get us home, but the valve is definitely shot. Praying the dealership will do the right thing and help get this fixed, but since I’m 6+ hours away I don’t have high hopes.
I too hope they do the right thing for you, as you just bought the car. Fingers crossed…

·
Registered
342 Posts
Year and mileage?

The EGR valve is part of the emissions system, so has a (somewhat) extended warranty, which is even longer in some states like California.

-Charlie

·
Registered
389 Posts
There have been numerous threads discussing whether the EGR valve is covered under the emissions warranty. I believe the final conclusion was that it is covered under emissions in Canada and in California but in other states is covered by the less-extensive powertrain warranty. This seems ridiculous because the whole purpose of the EGR valve is to reduce emissions. Here's one such thread: Another EGR Victim on 2017 Volt

·
Registered
13 Posts
Ten days ago my EGR valve was replaced after waiting 12 weeks. My Volt is a 2017 Premier, with 48 K miles. My understamding is that GM is not making new valves; rather they are rebuilding damaged ones. It's a rotten situation. Hope you find a way home and have a shorter wait than many of us have.

Raymond in MS

·
Registered
39 Posts
Guys there are 10,000 posts on this, not to be an ass, but read the other threads. Been there done that. My Saga started in March and ended in may. I wrote in there what you need to do. Put the car in the shop and if it's under warranty and they're telling you it's going to be more than 4 weeks, file a case with GM customer service. I sat there with mine waiting for 8 weeks and at 8 weeks and one day I filed a case and my car magically had an EGR come in and get replaced at 8 weeks and 3 days. It's not an accident. In GM totally kissed my ass and gave me tens of thousands of reward points and free services to boot for the next 2 years. Warranty claims are getting pushed aside in favor of cash paying customers and squeaky wheels. Be a squeaky wheel do not rely on the dealer to put you first. Trust me, there are egrs out there, they're not an inventory they're probably sitting under some service manager's desk in a shoebox for situations like this, taken out of official inventory. But that's my conspiracy theory

·
Registered
4 Posts
Then the electric runs down and it switches to the ICE. I happened to be coasting to a stop at the time - no issues as the engine turned on. Then the light turns green and I barely touch the gas pedal and WHAM. It throws like a dozen codes and the check engine light. Coolant temps started to rise so we limped to a hotel. It looks like the codes are for the EGR valve that blew a fuse (P0030, P0031, P0403, P0443, P0458, P0489, P0597, P0598, P06DA, P06DB). Salesmen says they "can't do anything until Monday" .... what do I do? I've got another 3-4 hour drive home down country back roads with crappy service. It's like 3 hours back to the dealership. I'm panicking. Any help, advice, or just words of encouragement?
Just as I had to do in June 2022 while 4 hours from home on a weekend:
1. Shut the car off.
2. Pull off the the 6 pin connector on the EGR valve and tuck it in above the valve.
3. Replace blown fuse (#3 blue 15 amp "no walk fuse") in the fusebox under the hood which also supplies power to the cooling fans.
4. Go to and stay on the "coolant temp" screen on your display to closely monitor for coolant temps going above 216 degrees.
5. Drive with the car in "hold" mode to force the ICE to run and heat back up (and if this works as it did for me, cool back down in a cycle every few minutes) in short distance (less than 2 mile) loops in the direction of or near the nearest auto parts store or Chevy dealer which has a volt tech (some dealers do not have Volt techs in their service department and will avoid working on Volts) in case you need to so you can limp to one of these locations if problems persist and get service or a tow home (which I avoided by this process).

If you don't have an extra 15amp fuse immediately on hand, you can borrow a fuse from one of the auxiliary systems that is not essential to the function of the car. I have 2017 and 2018 Volts and each one now has a couple of spare 15 amp fuses in the glove compartment for when and if I need to do this again (which I assume I will.)

The car runs fine with this work around until you need to pass an emissions test. My car passed the VA state inspection a month later without a hitch after I replaced the EGR valve with a new one I purchased on line for about half the dealer quoted price. The check engine light can be reset (yes all those codes) with a decent OBD tool with the exception of a single permanent EGR fail code which you can still see with a scan tool but will not turn on the CEL.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts