GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I may have one of the older Volts out there with 55,000 miles. Starting last year but compounding in December, the car has been in for service four times without success. The service engine light comes on. OnStar comes up with diagnostic codes P0AC4, P0AB9 and P0CD2.
On three of the incidents I was able to get the car to the dealership before the car quit running. On one occasion I did not. I got stuck waiting for a wrecker in 30 degree weather with wind chills around 20.
So far Volt nor the dealership has come up with a solution. Now I have no confidence I can drive the car any distance without the possibility of getting stranded.
Let me know if you have experience similar problems.
:mad:

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Have you contacted your Volt Advisor? Sounds like they need to get involved. Let us know what they uncover.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Please keep us posted or PM me. If you have to pay for the services I would like to know how much. I started to deal with issues with my unit and I am debating if I should keep the car. It seems the long term repair cost is very high for a a car that is so complex.

I started to notice some silly repairs for the Volt could cost hundreds more than other cars.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
It seems the long term repair cost is very high for a a car that is so complex.

I started to notice some silly repairs for the Volt could cost hundreds more than other cars.
What parts/components are you specifically refering too? The Voltec powertrain is covered by the 5 year 100K mile warranty, so if you are talking about things like power windows etc they should be no more expensive than any other car.

And anyone nearing the end of their Bumper to Bumper warranty should consider buying a GMPP if they intend on keeping the car and are worried about such things.

·
4,879 Posts
What parts/components are you specifically refering too? The Voltec powertrain is covered by the 5 year 100K mile warranty, so if you are talking about things like power windows etc they should be no more expensive than any other car.

And anyone nearing the end of their Bumper to Bumper warranty should consider buying a GMPP if they intend on keeping the car and are worried about such things.
Actually, the Voltec parts are covered by an 8 year 100k mile warranty.

Then the drivetrain (?) is 5 year 60k mile, and of course the usual 3 year 36k bumper to bumper.

So, to your point, the "specialized stuff" is really warrantied for a very long time to give peace of mind.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
hi EWD1949, welcome to this forum. Thanks for posting codes, I don't have a reference to explain them but some here do.

Did you mean to say that your dealer has done nothing, and the car has driven out just fine, only to fail later?? (that's how I read your post) or did they try something, which got the car working, but only to have it fail again later?

Please keep us posted on what your dealer has done- what solutions they tried but failed. There are a couple of "normal" causes for low power operation:
extreme cold soak without plugging in (below -20f during the overnight I think);
low battery coolant liquid level and
no gasoline in tank
being the 3 that I know of, but there may be others. whatever the direct problem causing the low power operation, there is usually a specific item that caused this problem.

Please let us know a little more history.

·
Registered
6,677 Posts
Actually, the Voltec parts are covered by an 8 year 100k mile warranty.

Then the drivetrain (?) is 5 year 60k mile, and of course the usual 3 year 36k bumper to bumper.

So, to your point, the "specialized stuff" is really warrantied for a very long time to give peace of mind.
My bad for UNDER stating the GM warranty. Folks concerned shouldn't be.

3,608 Posts
I may have one of the older Volts out there with 55,000 miles. Starting last year but compounding in December, the car has been in for service four times without success. The service engine light comes on. OnStar comes up with diagnostic codes P0AC4, P0AB9 and P0CD2.
On three of the incidents I was able to get the car to the dealership before the car quit running. On one occasion I did not. I got stuck waiting for a wrecker in 30 degree weather with wind chills around 20.
So far Volt nor the dealership has come up with a solution. Now I have no confidence I can drive the car any distance without the possibility of getting stranded.
Let me know if you have experience similar problems.
:mad:
Good Morning Ewd1949,

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for your recent experience with your Volt. We are aware of your service visits, and it was against our engineers' recommendation to return the vehicle to you until the problem was better understood. Part of the issue is that your dealer was unable to duplicate the problem, making it nearly impossible to properly diagnose.

To restore part of your lost confidence in the vehicle, let me explain how to recover it the next time you see an "engine unavailable" message. That way, you will not need to be bothered by the tow truck process.

1) Drive to a safe location nearby.

1.5) Shift into Park.

2) Push the power button without pressing the brake pedal. (Do not call OnStar or use your hazard lights during this brief process)

3) Open and close the driver's door.

4) Wait until the overhead dome lights extinguish. (about 20 seconds)

5) Start the vehicle again.

Have you changed where you fuel your vehicle or plugged anything into the data port under your steering wheel?

-Ian Chevrolet EV Customer Service

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
This is news to me. Please list the silly repairs and the cost, hocaspocas. In other words, please back up your claim with facts.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
Good Morning Ewd1949,
...1) Drive to a safe location nearby.

2) Push the power button without pressing the brake pedal. (Do not call OnStar or use your hazard lights during this brief process)

should he put the shift lever in "P" between 1 and 2?

3,608 Posts
should he put the shift lever in "P" between 1 and 2?
Afternoon Paulacton84,

Yes you are correct, and I have updated the post.

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
Good Morning Ewd1949,

First and foremost, I would like to apologize for your recent experience with your Volt. We are aware of your service visits, and it was against our engineers' recommendation to return the vehicle to you until the problem was better understood. Part of the issue is that your dealer was unable to duplicate the problem, making it nearly impossible to properly diagnose.

To restore part of your lost confidence in the vehicle, let me explain how to recover it the next time you see an "engine unavailable" message. That way, you will not need to be bothered by the tow truck process.

1) Drive to a safe location nearby.

3) Open and close the driver's door.

4) Wait until the overhead dome lights extinguish. (about 20 seconds)

5) Start the vehicle again.

Have you changed where you fuel your vehicle or plugged anything into the data port under your steering wheel?

Ian, I'm glad that you monitor this site and give guidance to us.

If the OP (and any of the rest of us who lose motive power and are stranded) cannot drive the car, step 1 cannot be accomplished (unless "engine unavailable" does not affect battery motive power and the car is drivable for a short distance).

As another poster commented, it will be assumed that the shift lever must be in Park prior to pressing the Power Button.

I always chuckle over the chicken dance required to accomplish what ctrl-alt-delete keys or reset buttons do for our desktop and laptop computers. It's understandable to require the chicken dance for a car, given how upsetting it is for some drivers to inadvertently shut down their Volts when blindly reaching for the Drive Mode switch and then having no clue of the restart procedure.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I am currently dealing with a repair right now on changing the the turn signal assembly... Only labor was $200 dollars. You are amoderator... aren't you working for GM?

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

·
Administrator
21,042 Posts
You are amoderator... aren't you working for GM?
I'm a moderator but I do not work for GM. I volunteer my time. GM does not own this site either.

You claim "I started to notice some silly repairs for the Volt could cost hundreds more than other cars." You have yet to back this with a list that supports the claim. You may be correct, but it's hard for me to know when you don't provide facts. So where is your list of silly repairs and how much they cost? Also might be good to know what makes a repair silly in your book. Maybe we agree.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That cost sounds pretty right on to me for any dealer (GM or whoever) especially if the bumper cover needs removal etc.

If you dont want to pay those prices go to a local indy or do it yourself - this has NOTHING to do with the Volt specifically.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Steerino... thanks for your time as volunteering. I am glad there are people like you doing good for the community. What do you do in your day job?

Here are the facts.

I replied saying that I am dealing with a Turn signal repair that cost $200 labor (I have the receipt if you need more prove). I owned few cars that in which I was able to change the turn signal assembly myself. The Volt requires a trip to the dealer. If you don't believe me check the service manual or search for my other postings where I showed the whole replacement procedure. Thanks for upper5Percent to post the link above. Similar to this.While I was looking at the service manual. I also saw that to change the turn signal bulb requires removing the wheel and the wheel covers with a cost of $75 labor at the dealer according to the dealers service agent. I recall my old cars( Cavalier, Pacifica, Altima, Town and Country) taking them for a turn signal bulb replacement to Jiffy lube which only cost only $9 to replace it.

I love my Volt like everyone else and I owned two of them a black 2012 and a White 2013. Due to having a company car I had sold my 2012. After my experience I am just afraid that cost of repairs after warranty is going to be higher than other cars.

·
Registered
104 Posts
That cost sounds pretty right on to me for any dealer (GM or whoever) especially if the bumper cover needs removal etc.

If you dont want to pay those prices go to a local indy or do it yourself - this has NOTHING to do with the Volt specifically.

yes, that why I bought the service manual and will start doing them myself...

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
Steerino... thanks for your time as volunteering. I am glad there are people like you doing good for the community. What do you do in your day job?

Here are the facts.

I replied saying that I am dealing with a Turn signal repair that cost $200 labor (I have the receipt if you need more prove). I owned few cars that in which I was able to change the turn signal assembly myself. The Volt requires a trip to the dealer. If you don't believe me check the service manual or search for my other postings where I showed the whole replacement procedure. Thanks for upper5Percent to post the link above. Similar to this.While I was looking at the service manual. I also saw that to change the turn signal bulb requires removing the wheel and the wheel covers with a cost of $75 labor at the dealer according to the dealers service agent. I recall my old cars( Cavalier, Pacifica, Altima, Town and Country) taking them for a turn signal bulb replacement to Jiffy lube which only cost only $9 to replace it.

I love my Volt like everyone else and I owned two of them a black 2012 and a White 2013. Due to having a company car I had sold my 2012. After my experience I am just afraid that cost of repairs after warranty is going to be higher than other cars.
In your own thread you say the dealer told you $200 because the front bumper fascia needs to be removed. This is the cost for that labor. It's not just a "bulb replacement" it is removing a body panel to get to a part that does not normally need to be replaced that you say was damaged in a road accident. If your insurance deductible is low enough it might cover it.

·
Registered
3,454 Posts
I am currently dealing with a repair right now on changing the the turn signal assembly... Only labor was $200 dollars. You are amoderator... aren't you working for GM?
If I remember correctly, your turn signal assembly was smashed by a rock, These intricate, integrated curved molded plastic light assemblies are all very expensive to replace in all modern cars. That's how body shops can survive in what is otherwise a throwaway culture. yes, changing the taillight lens in by 1998 windstar only took me 45 minutes when I smashed it, but people stopped buying cars like that over a decade ago because they preferred cars with swoopy stylish light lenses- so that is what car makers provide these days- .... and that is why it takes a lot of effort to change out a smashed lamp assembly. this is not a "silly little repair"

1 - 20 of 30 Posts