GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2012 Volt - Check Engine Light and Propulsion Power is Reduced

For about the sixth or seventh time in the past year, charging was interrupted and the check engine light appeared in our 2012 Volt. On the drive home, my wife connected to OnStar and they advised of two error codes: P1E98 - High voltage system is not functioning properly (bring in within one day) and P1E00 - Charging system is not functioning properly (bring in at earliest convenience). In the past when we've had these error codes, it cleared up after 2-3 charging cycles. I was fine doing this "remedy" again until something strange happened. My wife plugged in the car when she got home and everything seemed okay for a bit. Then, the charge got interrupted and re-started about 6-7 times in an hour. When we went to the car to go out, the charging light was dark (no yellow, no green, no flashing green). I unplugged, got in the car and the information center displayed "unable to charge". When I started the car, the gasoline engine came on immediately and the information center now displayed "propulsion power is reduced". I turned off the car, re-plugged in and everything appeared to be functioning as expected (charging light turned to solid green). However, when we started the car, the CEL was still on (as expected).

After all this, I immediately drove the car to the dealer and explained the sequence of events. They won't be able to look at it until Monday (as well as taking care of the service bulletin for the power inverter module reprogram). So, now we play the waiting game...again (about the 5th time my Volt has been in the shop in less than two years).

I want to get this resolved (hopefully once and for all) because I am driving my Volt from Orange County, CA to Chicago in a few weeks.

Any insights or comments are welcomed!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
For about the sixth or seventh time in the past year, charging was interrupted and the check engine light appeared. On the drive home, my wife connected to OnStar and they advised of two error codes: P1E98 - High voltage system is not functioning properly (bring in within one day) and P1E00 - Charging system is not functioning properly (bring in at earliest convenience). In the past when we've had these error codes, it cleared up after 2-3 charging cycles. I was fine doing this "remedy" again until something strange happened. My wife plugged in the car when she got home and everything seemed okay for a bit. Then, the charge got interrupted and re-started about 6-7 times in an hour. When we went to the car to go out, the charging light was dark (no yellow, no green, no flashing green). I unplugged, got in the car and the information center displayed "unable to charge". When I started the car, the gasoline engine came on immediately and the information center now displayed "propulsion power is reduced". I turned off the car, re-plugged in and everything appeared to be functioning as expected (charging light turned to solid green). However, when we started the car, the CEL was still on (as expected).

After all this, I immediately drove the car to the dealer and explained the sequence of events. They won't be able to look at it until Monday (as well as taking care of the service bulletin for the power inverter module reprogram). So, now we play the waiting game...again (about the 5th time my Volt has been in the shop in less than two years).

I want to get this resolved (hopefully once and for all) because I am driving my Volt from Orange County, CA to Chicago in a few weeks.

Any insights or comments are welcomed!

·
Registered
5,431 Posts

·
Registered
918 Posts
fredly19, based on your description is your Volt a 2012? I also have a 2012 which I've had since June 2012. Are you charging at L2 or L1?

I'm going to guess your dealer will find an issue with the battery coolant system - low level, air bubble in the line, etc. That was the diagnosis on mine last October when I was hit with high voltage system issue and unable to charge problem.

In my case, I had driven ~400 miles from Irvine to Pacific Grove (Monterey Bay area) visiting a friend. My friend's house is over 100 years old, no garage nor driveway and no outdoor outlet. Since I arrived late at night, I didn't bug him to see if I could run an extension cord from inside the house, and I didn't plug in my Volt. This was the first time my Volt was parked outside overnight.

Next morning, I drove to CSMB and plugged in at a ChargePoint L2 when my Volt gave the warning messages - unable to charge, service high voltage system. When Irvine Chevrolet diagnosed the problem 2 days later they found an issue with battery coolant system - indicated low coolant level from either air bubble in the line or actual low coolant.

No leaks were found which leads me to think overnight temperature change at Pacific Grove may have played a role. This is unrelated to your case - just providing more info on my case and possible cause.

Since the dealer filled the coolant to the correct level and reprogrammed the Power Inverter Module (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...rter-Module-Service-Bulletin-on-2011-13-Volts), I've had zero charging issues.

Good luck with your Volt and your upcoming road trip. That's going to be a heck of a trip!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
fredly19, based on your description is your Volt a 2012? I also have a 2012 which I've had since June 2012. Are you charging at L2 or L1?

I'm going to guess your dealer will find an issue with the battery coolant system - low level, air bubble in the line, etc. That was the diagnosis on mine last October when I was hit with high voltage system issue and unable to charge problem.

In my case, I had driven ~400 miles from Irvine to Pacific Grove (Monterey Bay area) visiting a friend. My friend's house is over 100 years old, no garage nor driveway and no outdoor outlet. Since I arrived late at night, I didn't bug him to see if I could run an extension cord from inside the house, and I didn't plug in my Volt. This was the first time my Volt was parked outside overnight.

Next morning, I drove to CSMB and plugged in at a ChargePoint L2 when my Volt gave the warning messages - unable to charge, service high voltage system. When Irvine Chevrolet diagnosed the problem 2 days later they found an issue with battery coolant system - indicated low coolant level from either air bubble in the line or actual low coolant.

No leaks were found which leads me to think overnight temperature change at Pacific Grove may have played a role. This is unrelated to your case - just providing more info on my case and possible cause.

Since the dealer filled the coolant to the correct level and reprogrammed the Power Inverter Module (http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread...rter-Module-Service-Bulletin-on-2011-13-Volts), I've had zero charging issues.

Good luck with your Volt and your upcoming road trip. That's going to be a heck of a trip!
Yes, our Volt is a 2012. We charge L1 at work and L2 at home. I'm hoping what you describe is the issue we are experiencing. Seems very similar! Let's hope for the best!

·
Registered
569 Posts
If i were you, i would take a serious look at your supply line from your house, given the fact that you hade a few issues recharging.
The Volt does not like unstable voltage, at all, unlike the Leaf. The Leaf will take anything that you throw at it, not so with the Volt.
Rulling this out would be a mistake.

·
Administrator
20,465 Posts
Note: when posting issues, it's always a good idea to post your model year as well.

3,605 Posts
fredly19

I sent you a DM.

Melissa Electric Vehicle Advisor Team
Volt Line: 877-486-5846
Spark Line: 855-477-2754
ELR Concierge: 855-463-6357
Email: [email protected]

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got my Volt back yesterday afternoon and everything seemed fine. However, when I went to run a errand last night (after charging on my Voltec 240V charger), the information center displayed, "Service High Voltage Charging System" and the check engine light was on again. I ran diagnostics with OnStar and two error codes were returned, P0AA6 (high voltage system is not performing as expected) and P1E00 (charging system is not functioning properly). OnStar also advised me that the car will probably not charge. I verified this when I got home.

I took it back to the dealer this morning and we wait again. By my estimation, Chevy/GM has poured in about $30,000 in repairs in less than two years...and I've been without my car for almost 3 months in 21 months of ownership. This is beyond frustrating! Fix this!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts