GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to drive my brand new (<300mi) Volt today and found the Engine lamp lit. It still ran fine, so I went driving. I called OnStar while driving and they did a remote diagnostic (while I was driving) and told me it was the P1E00 and P0D22 codes:

P1E00 - "The Vehicle's electric system is not performing as expected - service at your own convenience"
P0D22 - "The Battery charging system is not performing as expected - if the car has no issue charging there is no need for service - but if the vehicle cannot charge, then service at your own convenience"

He said that I can wait for the Engine lamp to go out on its own, or I can go to the dealer and have them reset it.

Here's what I *think* happened:
We've had stormy weather, and last night, we had a series of power blips while the car was charging. I went out to check the car, and the charge light was OFF. Not orange, not green, but off - even though it was plugged in. So I unplugged the charge handle end and plugged it back in, and the orange light came on, then the green.

My *guess* is that these power blips are what generated the error. Just a guess, but the OnStar adviser seemed to agree with me that it could be the cause.

Just a data-point for any others who may experience this error. When I go to the dealer, I'm going to see if they can isolate the date & time of the codes so I can see if they correlate with the power blips.

Anyone else see a similar correlation between power interruptions and these two codes?

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Don't even bother with the dealer, if you interrupt a charge that's not by pulling the charge plug, it sets the CEL as the Volt has no idea what caused the unexplained interruption. It will clear itself after the 3rd power cycle

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't even bother with the dealer, if you interrupt a charge that's not by pulling the charge plug, it sets the CEL as the Volt has no idea what caused the unexplained interruption. It will clear itself after the 3rd power cycle
Thanks for the info - makes total sense now.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Agree with Henry that most likely the code will clear after a few charges, assuming you don't have any more power issues. However, I'm thinking that the problem occurred before you unplugged the EVSE. The fact that all lights were out suggests that the EVSE went offline for some reason -- which is the source of the error codes -- before you unplugged and then plugged in the EVSE.

Same result though.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Agree with Henry that most likely the code will clear after a few charges, assuming you don't have any more power issues. However, I'm thinking that the problem occurred before you unplugged the EVSE. The fact that all lights were out suggests that the EVSE went offline for some reason -- which is the source of the error codes -- before you unplugged and then plugged in the EVSE.

Same result though.
Exactly. I think it was the rapid cycling of the utility power during the wind-storm -- the power "blips" I described.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've never had mine set the CEL due to this. I just get the charge interrupted text msg.

·
Registered
974 Posts
I feel safer unplugged in a storm

If I know there is a large storm moving thru, I unplug the car. If the damage I've seen to network equipment is any risk for my car, I'll go unplugged until the storm passes by.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Hi, had a similar experience after plugging in a defective EVSE. After chatting with onstar, I charged the vehicle overnight at home overnight, and no more MIL. I recorded a video of my onstar call in case there was something interesting to share:

[video]http://youtu.be/XASeS5gB-g8 [/video]

Scott

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I just got these codes on my 2013. The OnStar guy says it can wait.

Differences between how I usually charge and now:

1. I am using the 110v EVSE that came with the car. Usually, I use a GE L2.
2. I am in Missouri instead of Texas.
3. It is way colder than Texas and a winter storm came through last night.
4. I blew the circuit breaker by using 12amp charging. On 8amp now. (This is probably what set the codes.)

Edit: Update. The CEL reset after charging a couple times.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts