GM Volt Forum banner

Check Engine Lamp DTC P059F (Active Grill Shutter fault)TSB# 16-NA-203

105628 Views 76 Replies 29 Participants Last post by  Sdeck
CEL came on. Onstar tells me it's code P059F, Active Grill Shutter.
Anyone else experience this on a GM car?

I have an appointment for Wednesday, but kind of annoying...
41 - 60 of 77 Posts

· Registered
99 Posts
Given that you'd only need to open the shutters in order to provide more cooling it sure seems to me that it ought to be governed by coolant temperature. Otherwise you might get into some situations where the ambient temperature is low but you're still not getting adequate cooling due to load or speed factors.
Seems about right. When the temp goes in (one of) the coolant loop(s), the shutters should open.

· Registered
4,948 Posts
FYI service bulletin #16-NA-203 has been released to help Volt technicians diagnose a potential issue with the active shutter system and the potential for a Check Engine Lamp and DTC P059F being set and caused by a harness chaffing near the shutter actuator connector.

A basic wiring repair will typically be all that is required.
WOT

· Registered
415 Posts
I just got this today. It's 90 degrees and humid and I did a 1.5 mile trip. Did my stuff, hopped in the car and about 1/4 later the CEL came on. Called OnStar and they gave me P059f and said it was a problem with the engine cooling system. They didn't mention the shutter, although not certain they would know it.

I checked the coolant temperature and it was only 104 degrees.

Called the dealership. they have no appointments available until Tuesday and claimed they had no loaners.

Am I really stuck at home until Tuesday?

Thanks,
Rick

· Registered
415 Posts
I just got this today. It's 90 degrees and humid and I did a 1.5 mile trip. Did my stuff, hopped in the car and about 1/4 later the CEL came on. Called OnStar and they gave me P059f and said it was a problem with the engine cooling system. They didn't mention the shutter, although not certain they would know it.

I checked the coolant temperature and it was only 104 degrees.

Called the dealership. they have no appointments available until Tuesday and claimed they had no loaners.

Am I really stuck at home until Tuesday?

Thanks,
Rick
I checked the shutters and they look open (I can see the radiator grill).

Is it possible my Voltscreen is blocking air (sorry, Scarlett- I need to ask), or is it possibly a true issue with the cooling system.

Thanks,
Rick

· Registered
4,948 Posts
I checked the shutters and they look open (I can see the radiator grill).

Is it possible my Voltscreen is blocking air (sorry, Scarlett- I need to ask), or is it possibly a true issue with the cooling system.

Thanks,
Rick
Not likely an issue with anything other than the active shutter system. They default to open when any DTC is set or the actuator losses connection for some reason.

The bulletin describes a spot where the wiring harness to the actuator is rubbing and damaging the wiring causing the DTC. Since it's a LIN bus control the slave device (actuator) may need to be replaced if it isn't this wiring issue.

WOT

· Registered
415 Posts
WOT,

As always, thanks so much for your words of expertise and assurance.

After a couple of starts and a trip into town, the CEL cleared. Nonetheless, I will be bringing it in on Tuesday for the TSB fix.

I'll be certain to provide them with the TSB number and also ask about any others that need to be done.

Thanks,
Rick

· Registered
415 Posts
WOT,

As always, thanks so much for your words of expertise and assurance.

After a couple of starts and a trip into town, the CEL cleared. Nonetheless, I will be bringing it in on Tuesday for the TSB fix.

I'll be certain to provide them with the TSB number and also ask about any others that need to be done.

Thanks,
Rick
Went to the dealership today about the CEL. Since it cleared by iteslf, they only cleared the code. I brought up TSB 16-NA-203 and they did not acknowledge it. Said it could have been a bug that got caught in the mechanism. I pointed out the VoltScreen and they said, well it could have been that restricting airflow....

Here's their summary:

"Customer states that the CEL went on. Pulled P059F from OnStar.
Active Grill Air Shutter operation found DTC stored and not
active.
System cleared itself and is operating as designed at this time..."

· Registered
41 Posts
It's my pleasure (not) to keep this thread alive.

CEL became lit, a few days ago. Temperatures have dropped around here - a late start on the winter - and we've had a little snow and temperatures in the 20's F overnight and in early mornings.

Local Chevrolet service center reports they've seen more than a half dozen Gen2 Volts, recently, with this same problem. Active shutter replacement parts are on order, from Reno, NV. Snow and holiday shipping season are expected to delay arrival but the service tech was able to get the CEL turned off and I'll be interested to see if it lights up again, before the parts arrive.

I don't know if there's any way to tell whether the replacement parts will include some improvement over the originals. I mean to say, I hope this won't be a regular occurrence. Winters here are usually rainy, not snow and icy, and I don't care to risk active shutter problems whenever I go to snow country.

If I get any more information, I'll post it here. Suffice to say that the 2017 Volt I purchased April 2016 has the active shutter problem.

· Registered
2,735 Posts
P059F again this morning. Pretty sure I got the TSB done last year, too.
Anyone have any new info?
Were you driving in snow & ice? Could be just that the shutters are covered in ice and can't move.

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #53 ·
Were you driving in snow & ice? Could be just that the shutters are covered in ice and can't move.
Yes, it was in the single digits F this morning, and I had gone through a carwash yesterday, so ice is definitely possible. Still, this seems like a flaw in design and I am hoping that people have found a solution.

· Registered
15 Posts
I just experienced this error code yesterday. Drove about 10 miles on country roads electric only, then stopped for dinner. On start after dinner, CEL was on with the P059F code. Prior driving had been highway through a rainstorm and then temps then went below freezing, so the system could be frozen as others have said. I've now cleared the code and driving around town hasn't triggered it. We'll see tomorrow if it comes back...highway driving through above-freezing temps.

· Registered
415 Posts
They replaced my shutter yesterday. Work order reads:

Cause: Scan Codes found P059- shutter performance. Command w/Scanl Tool, at times won't open. Checked bulletin 16-NA-203. Check Wiring. Okay. Ordered Shutter
Correction: Replaced shutter, cleared codes, re-check, okay.

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
They replaced my shutter yesterday. Work order reads:

Cause: Scan Codes found P059- shutter performance. Command w/Scanl Tool, at times won't open. Checked bulletin 16-NA-203. Check Wiring. Okay. Ordered Shutter
Correction: Replaced shutter, cleared codes, re-check, okay.
I'm going to have to get this done, as mine stuck again this morning with P059F.

· Registered
39 Posts
Dealer replaced my Active Grille Shutter assembly

My check engine light came on in normal mild weather, no severe ice or snow conditions here in Silicon Valley. Took the car in to my dealer. Turned out to be P059F-00 Active Grille Shutter performance. They also checked the AGS wire harness as per Bulletin 16-NA-203 but that turned out to be okay. I got my car back after a week and a half, they determined that the AGS needed to be replaced. They said it would not close 100%. I never had any issues with the car except a few times last year intermittently it refused to switch to Electric mode from Hold. Dealer said that problem may have been related. But I never got any codes or lights from that issue. Any ways I'm just glad to have my Volt back again!

41 - 60 of 77 Posts