GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 20 of 76 Posts

· Administrator
23,396 Posts
Gen 1's don't have an active grill shutter. You are the first to post this particular issue AFAIK. You win! :)

Please update us after they have corrected the issue.

· Registered
147 Posts
CEL came on. Onstar tells me it's code P059F, Active Grill Shutter.
Anyone else experience this on a GM car?

I have an appointment for Wednesday, but kind of annoying...
That is a door in the front spoiler that closes at higher speed to eliminate drag. Not sure why that would be tied to CEL unless being used as a general fault / not engine emission related / indicator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

· Registered
113 Posts
The emission dyno load setting is based on the total drag curve of the vehicle between 0 and 80 MPH. If a device modifies the drag it is an emission control device by definition. If such a device is activated electronically then it has to have diagnostics to determine if it is operating correctly, thus the CEL code. Did the light come on after a snow storm? If it did then there may have been ice obstructing it. When the ice melted the system operated correctly and 4 key cycles later the CEL should go out.

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The emission dyno load setting is based on the total drag curve of the vehicle between 0 and 80 MPH. If a device modifies the drag it is an emission control device by definition. If such a device is activated electronically then it has to have diagnostics to determine if it is operating correctly, thus the CEL code. Did the light come on after a snow storm? If it did then there may have been ice obstructing it. When the ice melted the system operated correctly and 4 key cycles later the CEL should go out.
No ice or snow. It was below freezing and I suppose it's possible some water froze on it. But, if it comes on that easily, there's an issue IMHO.

· Banned
397 Posts
Well, it went off and hasn't come back on again. Is this common for Volts? I feel as though I should still take it in...
I wouldn't, here's why.

1. These are first year models of very advanced cars. There will be bugs with the alert systems (i.e. codes) as well as the actual powertrain. I had a check engine light come on and then go off after an hour. That was four weeks ago. It has not returned.

2. Dealer service. Under warranty, they get paid by the factory for their repair work. It's guaranteed work if something is wrong. So the more "morally questionable" ones love to find potential problems and do potentially unnecessary work (under the pretense of being pro-active) especially if their workload is slow at that time. A CEL is an invitation for mischief. I would make sure that it is not a "bug" light. Further, NOTHING beats the quality of work from the factory. Having a tech tear into your car, AT BEST, will return a car as good as the one you gave them. LIKELY, they will perform sub-factory quality work in one aspect or another (interior body panels, brackets, etc) and your vehicle will be degraded. Bottom line is be sure that's its a real problem before taking it to the piranhas. I have numerous stories of MAJOR SERVICE being performed under still very uncertain diagnosis. Engine replacement, transmission replacement for cars that have less than 1,000 miles.

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I wouldn't, here's why.

1. These are first year models of very advanced cars. There will be bugs with the alert systems (i.e. codes) as well as the actual powertrain. I had a check engine light come on and then go off after an hour. That was four weeks ago. It has not returned.

2. Dealer service. Under warranty, they get paid by the factory for their repair work. It's guaranteed work if something is wrong. So the more "morally questionable" ones love to find potential problems and do potentially unnecessary work (under the pretense of being pro-active) especially if their workload is slow at that time. A CEL is an invitation for mischief. I would make sure that it is not a "bug" light. Further, NOTHING beats the quality of work from the factory. Having a tech tear into your car, AT BEST, will return a car as good as the one you gave them. LIKELY, they will perform sub-factory quality work in one aspect or another (interior body panels, brackets, etc) and your vehicle will be degraded. Bottom line is be sure that's its a real problem before taking it to the piranhas. I have numerous stories of MAJOR SERVICE being performed under still very uncertain diagnosis. Engine replacement, transmission replacement for cars that have less than 1,000 miles.
Interesting. Thanks.

· Banned
7,821 Posts
That is a door in the front spoiler that closes at higher speed to eliminate drag. Not sure why that would be tied to CEL unless being used as a general fault / not engine emission related / indicator.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
If the shutters were to get stuck being closed, THAT is a definite engine issue, as it could potentially overheat. That's probably why it triggers the engine MIL.

· Registered
1,458 Posts
These are first year models of very advanced cars. There will be bugs with the alert systems (i.e. codes) as well as the actual powertrain. I had a check engine light come on and then go off after an hour. That was four weeks ago. It has not returned.
The problem with this is that the check engine light is playing the role of the boy who cried "Wolf!". If you get repeated indications for some trivial problem that can be ignored then some day when the mechanic fails to tighten the oil pan drain plug and the light comes on because all the oil is gone, you'll ignore it, trash your engine and strand yourself in the middle of nowhere.

The car has beautiful huge display screens and any number of intelligent computers - IMHO instead of relying on a single "Idiot Light" there really needs to some supplemental information about what the problem is so that you can decide for yourself what to do about it.

· Registered
156 Posts
Just got this CEL today - as per Onstar. Boy what a nuisance. Is this going to happen everytime it snows? Light dumping overnight to morning that probably contributed to this.

Car can be driven no problem.

Off to the dealer tomorrow to get it checked out. Probably justs needs a reset.

Another owner posted about this code in the Chevy Volt Owners facebook group.

· Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just got this CEL today - as per Onstar. Boy what a nuisance. Is this going to happen everytime it snows? Light dumping overnight to morning that probably contributed to this.

Car can be driven no problem.

Off to the dealer tomorrow to get it checked out. Probably justs needs a reset.

Another owner posted about this code in the Chevy Volt Owners facebook group.
Interesting. Problem never came back for me...

· Registered
415 Posts
I wouldn't, here's why.

There is validity to what you are saying about unscrupulous dealers, but a poster after this commented about the Boy Who Cried Wolf syndrome- if you keep ignoring CEL lights you may ignore a true failure.

I think you should take it in every time the CEL light goes on, (almost- make sure your gas cap is tight and all that...). For the most part we have had our cars only weeks or months and there have been many, many CELs and other issues come up. Yes, this is a complicated, sophisticated car, but all the more indication that they were not road tested long enough, IMHO. GM should be told about each and every problem or CEL that comes up and should swallow the cost of whatever it cost them to pay the dealership.

A warranty is a warranty. If GM doesn't want to be paying dealerships every time a CEL comes on, then they should have done a $hitload more real world testing, not only of the functionality, but the design (see the thread about the easy icing up of the Gen2 charge port).

Most folks have had issues within the first 1k-2k miles. It doesn't matter how minor they are.

Bottom line is be sure that's its a real problem before taking it to the piranhas.

We, the customers, should not have to guess or determine whether or not a CEL is "real" issue or a false alarm. I'm sure as hell not qualified to determine that (mostly). Not our job and it's also a dangerous game to play. If it does turn out to be a problem and you DIDN'T bring it in, then your warranty might not be honored if there is damage due to the ignored CEL.

Best,
Rick

· Registered
20 Posts
Check Engine: P059F (Active Grill Shutter).:mad:

Got it yesterday, I guess the car did not like the 3cm of rain (+5C) followed by a -12C yesterday. Called OnStar and they said it was an engine cooling problem, but it was not critical. I asked for the code (P059F). She also told me that we should go to the Dealers in the next few days if the light does not go away.

Got my Bluetooth ODB2 adapter and checked with Torque Pro, got the same code, saved the code and cleared it myself.

· Registered
156 Posts
Maybe i should try clearing it myself?

Does anybody know if Torque Lite (free) can clear codes or do I have to pick up the paid version?

· Registered
156 Posts
Yes, it does, as does OBD Car Doctor Free.
Awesome thanks. Just cleared it and cancelled my appointment at the dealership tomorrow. It only threw out this code so Im safe. Thanks again!

· Registered
99 Posts
Got my car back from the p040b and p041b (yay) but p059f came after the second stop. It's cold outside and it kind of rained ice earlier today (dealership left my car outside unplugged).

· Registered
425 Posts
Got this code a couple of days ago and has not gone away. just about to book car into dealership for a service .... also need them to check why my remote start has also stopped working from both the app and also the key fob the last couple of days (just when I actually needed it). Will also be asking them to check any outstanding TSBs like the chuggling and axle creak stuff ....

1 - 20 of 76 Posts