GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2013 Volt and my free 3 month guidance plan expired. So it is now on the "OnStar Basic Connectivity" plan until 2019. But I no longer have access to the Vehicle Status through the iPhone app to see my charging status and range, etc. So I was wondering if anyone knows the cheapst Onstar Plan I can get to get back the Vehicle Status.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
The free OnStar Basic Services plan includes only the Key Fob services for both the OnStar Remote app and the MyChevrolet app, but since it is an OnStar plan, your Volt data is also provided to the internet sites using this data, making at least some of that Vehicle Status info available "free" via the internet. Current battery charging status and other selected stats can be viewed via the MyVolt.com website. Other stats (total/ ev miles, ev%, MPG) are available for Volts registered on Voltstats.net. Other bits are likely also available at the mychevrolet.com website (the myvolt and mychevrolet and onstar websites all seem to use the same OnStar account login password). I note that at times, I am more successful getting the various bits of historical information from the MyVolt site when accessing it using the Firefox browser than when using Internet Explorer.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I think from others that have posted to the forum you are looking at the 19.99 a month to get that information. I am sure they will chime in soon.

·
Registered
2,774 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am on the basic plan and when I tap on vehicle status through the app I get message saying I need to upgrade my plan.

·
Registered
208 Posts
The free OnStar Basic Services plan includes only the Key Fob services for both the OnStar Remote app and the MyChevrolet app, but since it is an OnStar plan, your Volt data is also provided to the internet sites using this data, making at least some of that Vehicle Status info available "free" via the internet. Current battery charging status and other selected stats can be viewed via the MyVolt.com website. Other stats (total/ ev miles, ev%, MPG) are available for Volts registered on Voltstats.net. Other bits are likely also available at the mychevrolet.com website (the myvolt and mychevrolet and onstar websites all seem to use the same OnStar account login password). I note that at times, I am more successful getting the various bits of historical information from the MyVolt site when accessing it using the Firefox browser than when using Internet Explorer.

maybe onstar changed a few things, but I have the free basic onstar plan on my 2015 volt, and I use the onstar mobile app all the time with no problems,all services are available and I can access them all
check charge status,air pressure, remote start etc.
maybe because I have free nav and turn by turn directions could be the key,but I don't pay any monthly fee for anything

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
maybe onstar changed a few things, but I have the free basic onstar plan on my 2015 volt, and I use the onstar mobile app all the time with no problems,all services are available and I can access them all
maybe because I have free nav and turn by turn directions could be the key,but I don't pay any monthly fee for anything
You have the free subscription to a full plan that came with you Volt which is 3 years I believe (maybe 5 years depends on the model year). That is not the same thing as what the OP has and many of us have where the original full subscription has now expired and we are on the Basic plan which only has the KeyFob functions Lock/unlock, Remote Start, etc.

·
Registered
208 Posts
actually I only had 90 days for the full subscription,and I have the new onstar with 4g lte
if I turndown the full pay for everything package after 90 days it turns into free basic onstar for 3 years,and that's what plan I have now
per gm my keyfobs are warrentied for 5 years,and I get monthly emails from onstar about the month's activities.
I couldn't see paying for all the extras when my smartphone does everything onstar does but remote unlock my car doors

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
actually I only had 90 days for the full subscription,and I have the new onstar with 4g lte
if I turndown the full pay for everything package after 90 days it turns into free basic onstar for 3 years,and that's what plan I have now
per gm my keyfobs are warrentied for 5 years,and I get monthly emails from onstar about the month's activities.
I couldn't see paying for all the extras when my smartphone does everything onstar does but remote unlock my car doors
If you bought your '15 brand new it should have included 3 years full onstar service - I would check with the dealer and/or onstar to get it set up properly.
The only extra would be calling minutes or data. But the crash response/directions/diagnostic/app data should be included.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I just set my onstar service up yesterday on my '13 and they gave me 3 months of everything and 3 years of their basic plan. I specifically asked what the basic plan included, and the lady specified that it does in fact give you control via the app (all vehicle stats, charging time, range, etc) and through a computer for 3 years.

·
Registered
208 Posts
If you bought your '15 brand new it should have included 3 years full onstar service - I would check with the dealer and/or onstar to get it set up properly.
The only extra would be calling minutes or data. But the crash response/directions/diagnostic/app data should be included.
my onstar was set up properly, in fact the dealer made me set everything up before I drove off the dealership lot
2015 was the last year for the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty,and 2011 was the only year that onstar gave 5 full years 100% full premium onstar coverage
my 2015 volt has the new 4g lte upgraded onstar,and they want to charge you for everything ala carte
my volt can support 7 different wifi connected tablets phones etc, that's why they only give you 90 days full onstar,they are trying to get you to buy everything so you can spend around $100 per month as everything is charged seperatly.
no thanks, I will pass

·
Registered
33 Posts
This brought up a question I have about OnStar services.

I purchased a 2014 used a little over 3 months ago. If I am correct the 2014 originally came with 3 years free OnStar full package. Even though I bought my car used, don't I get the remaining balance from the previous owners OnStar service?

I only got 3 months of a full package, then 3 years of basic. Which as we are discussing doesn't include all the functions on the ap.

I know that the original in service date of my car was June 16, 2014, so shouldn't I have the full plan until June 16, 2017?

Why does this OnStar crap have to be so confusing?

Chris

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
This brought up a question I have about OnStar services.

I purchased a 2014 used a little over 3 months ago. If I am correct the 2014 originally came with 3 years free OnStar full package. Even though I bought my car used, don't I get the remaining balance from the previous owners OnStar service?

I only got 3 months of a full package, then 3 years of basic. Which as we are discussing doesn't include all the functions on the ap.

I know that the original in service date of my car was June 16, 2014, so shouldn't I have the full plan until June 16, 2017?

Why does this OnStar crap have to be so confusing?

Chris
I believe others here have transferred existing service.
I think it's just more rare to get a used car still on the original 3 years. Usually used are 3+ years old.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
my onstar was set up properly, in fact the dealer made me set everything up before I drove off the dealership lot
2015 was the last year for the 5 year/100,000 mile warranty,and 2011 was the only year that onstar gave 5 full years 100% full premium onstar coverage
my 2015 volt has the new 4g lte upgraded onstar,and they want to charge you for everything ala carte
my volt can support 7 different wifi connected tablets phones etc, that's why they only give you 90 days full onstar,they are trying to get you to buy everything so you can spend around $100 per month as everything is charged seperatly.
no thanks, I will pass
You should still have received 3 years full service, and à la carte data/minutes
See this publication from chevy - look on the fine print on app page:
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/dam/Chevrolet/northamerica/usa/nscwebsite/en/Home/Help Center/Download a Brochure/02_PDFs/MY15 Volt eBrochure_090814.pdf
1 Available on select Apple, Android, BlackBerry and Windows
devices. Services vary by device, vehicle and conditions.
Requires active OnStar subscription, which is standard for
three years

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have a 2013 which is 3 years old next week. Anout 2-3 weeks ago I called and asked about the basic plan. Onstar said a 3 year basic plan was free and asked if I wanted to switch over. I said I would prefer to switch closer to my expiration date. (Why give up the remaining 3-4 weeks of the full plan?)

Today I called and was told there is no free basic plan. Essentially, pay for service or lose everything.

Can anyone tell me if I should expect them to just default automatically to the basic plan or do I need to speak to them to get that to happen. And, if I need to speak to the, any guidance you can provide on how to do so (since yesterday's conversation did not result in a free basic plan).

Thanks in advance for any help from 2013 owners who have gone through this.

I'm fine with the basic plan and won't pay for more. (I'm simply not in the car that much.)

·
Registered
33 Posts
I can't vouch for how accurate this is, but it was posted recently on Facebook. I haven't yet had a chance to check it out myself. Someone posted how to get the battery status back on the vehicle status tab after your 6 month trial expires.

1) From your car, with it ON and not charging, press the blue button

2) Ask that person to transfer you to the OnStar Technical Assistance Group

3) Tell whoever answers that you are calling from your Volt, that your 6 month free trial has expired, but your 5 year Basic service does not have the "EV Mobile Command" feature and that you would like them to add it as an addendum onto your Key Fob option. Supposedly, if they were properly trained, they will fully understand the above and it will be added with no charge. NOTE: it may take until the next day before you will see it on your smartphone. It is important that you are NOT charging the car, in the ON state and out of your garage (in a good AT&T signal area) so they can communicate with your car.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I guess that's the $9.95 plan they are charging $19.95 for now. But you get the first 5 years of basic for free when you buy the car?

·
Registered
1,124 Posts
I can't vouch for how accurate this is, but it was posted recently on Facebook. I haven't yet had a chance to check it out myself. Someone posted how to get the battery status back on the vehicle status tab after your 6 month trial expires.

1) From your car, with it ON and not charging, press the blue button

2) Ask that person to transfer you to the OnStar Technical Assistance Group

3) Tell whoever answers that you are calling from your Volt, that your 6 month free trial has expired, but your 5 year Basic service does not have the "EV Mobile Command" feature and that you would like them to add it as an addendum onto your Key Fob option. Supposedly, if they were properly trained, they will fully understand the above and it will be added with no charge. NOTE: it may take until the next day before you will see it on your smartphone. It is important that you are NOT charging the car, in the ON state and out of your garage (in a good AT&T signal area) so they can communicate with your car.
Tried this on Monday. Got a call back from Onstar TAC today and they said the "EV mobile command" package can only be added to 2017 and newer Volts. Oh well...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts