GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just replaced my 2012 Volt with a tesla model 3. And it is time to switch everything out, get the volt ready for it's next phase of existence. My EVSE, which is the one that came with the car, has worked flawlessly since I got it, although I've had it plugged in the same place, never moved it for the last year or so. Upon picking it up to wrap it up, I noticed that the main wall connector wire has gotten frayed, and I don't want to pass that on to the new owner. So - what is the best, yet inexpensive replacement I can get?

·
Registered
96 Posts
So I just replaced my 2012 Volt with a tesla model 3.
You are now dead to us all. Just kidding :)

Seriously though, congrats on the purchase, hope you enjoy it. As for the EVSE, I would cut off as little of the line cord as possible and put in a heavy duty replacement plug. You want to get one made my Hubbell, Leviton or Pass & Seymour. In general, if you spend less than $8 than the plug is junk.

On the other hand, if there isn't enough wire left for the repair, than please do not throw away or recycle the EVSE. PM me and ill pay the shipping.

The cheapest Ive seen an EVSE is ~$200 on amazon.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! And no worries, I'm just trying to make this volt as user friendly for the next owner as possible. The fray happened right where the cord entered the unit, so it's not a simple fix, and I'd rather not rig something that might be cause for concern.

·
Registered
13,626 Posts
Cheapest and decent are mutually exclusive. There are plenty of cheap Chinese EVSEs and people have reported issues with them requiring replacement.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
The thread linked above has a lot of discussion about the failure rate of that inexpensive evse.

If you want something with better reliability for more money, you could get the latest GM portable charger cable here for $385. Unlike the original 2012 model, this one is capable of dual voltage with the right adapter.

http://www.audiovideo2go.com/chevy-...t2BtOAotMa0dcM7iLbKuxJbsXpUwz5i0aAqq0EALw_wcB

Or you could search eBay for a deal on a used Volt evse. I would look for model year 2013 or newer.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
I got what looked like a Duosida L2 charger too (actually came with the car). Using it on my 240V air compressor circuit. Just had to change the outlet to match (there are several styles). So far so good. I did install a 20 amp rocker switch so it is disconnected when not in use, mostly for AC protection during wind storms. As for reliability, regardless what brand or quality of product you get, there will be some failures and if it happens to you that's a 100% failure rate. I don't know how many times I've heard "I'll never buy a Sony, LG, Samsung, Brand X etc. again".

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
"main wall connector wire has gotten frayed"

I would guess any electrical repair shop that can fix a vacuum cleaner would have no problem fixing that.

say the secret word " underwriter's knot " and you may get a discount.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I got what looked like a Duosida L2 charger too (actually came with the car). Using it on my 240V air compressor circuit. Just had to change the outlet to match (there are several styles). So far so good. I did install a 20 amp rocker switch so it is disconnected when not in use, mostly for AC protection during wind storms. As for reliability, regardless what brand or quality of product you get, there will be some failures and if it happens to you that's a 100% failure rate. I don't know how many times I've heard "I'll never buy a Sony, LG, Samsung, Brand X etc. again".
As I converted my OEM evse to a wall mounted 240v L2, I needed another 120v evse to carry in the car and to snipe charges at work.

I got a Duosida L1/2 charger as well. Works superb on both 120v and 240v, throw away the dash cam that comes with it. Don't even mess with it. My only lament is there's no way to stow it in the OEM location, so it just sits in a coil behind my driver's seat. Think I paid $160 for it and it's pretty rugged.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
Check with new owner. If they want a L2 get the amazingE about $200. Made by Clipper Creek in usa. If you need L1-2 get the duosida.

Sent from my A3-A30 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,763 Posts
My advice is not to go cheap, spend a little more and buy a Level 2 EVSE from a first tier vendor. My personal recommendation, based on my experience with the company and their product, is to buy a ClipperCreek LCS-20P EVSE. You can save $100 if you buy used, ClipperCreek provides a 12 month limited warranty on their previously owned (used) EVSE.

If you want to take a chance, search on ~zon for "Go-Cable - Tri-Voltage (120-208-240) Level 2 Charge Station" This one looks like a good low cost Level 2 EVSE. Well under $200 and free shipping if you are a Prime member. Comes with a 25 ft. charging cable which is important as many of the low cost EVSE cheap out on the length of the J1772 connector cable. Comes with pigtails for use with 5-20, 14-50, 14-30 and other power outlets. Compatible with 120V-208V-240V. Note: This Level 2 EVSE requires a 20 amp circuit, minimum, even if you decide to use it for charging at 120V.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
If you want to take a chance, search on ~zon for "Go-Cable - Tri-Voltage (120-208-240) Level 2 Charge Station" This one looks like a good low cost Level 2 EVSE. Well under $200 and free shipping if you are a Prime member. Comes with a 25 ft. charging cable which is important as many of the low cost EVSE cheap out on the length of the J1772 connector cable. Comes with pigtails for use with 5-20, 14-50, 14-30 and other power outlets. Compatible with 120V-208V-240V. Note: This Level 2 EVSE requires a 20 amp circuit, minimum, even if you decide to use it for charging at 120V.
That looks like my Duosida (look a like?) that came with my car. So far it's worked good but hasn't been used that much yet. Time will tell.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Or you could search eBay for a deal on a used Volt evse. I would look for model year 2013 or newer.
Nope. I'd look for one to match the model year for the car. Earlier EVSEs have a button to throttle the charge rate to 8 amps, and newer cars do that function. Which means using a 2013+ EVSE with a 2012 or earlier Volt, you can ONLY charge at 12 amps, which ... well, it's potentially unreliable. You're gonna see a lot of red light error conditions for people that need 8-amp charging.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Nope. I'd look for one to match the model year for the car. Earlier EVSEs have a button to throttle the charge rate to 8 amps, and newer cars do that function. Which means using a 2013+ EVSE with a 2012 or earlier Volt, you can ONLY charge at 12 amps, which ... well, it's potentially unreliable. You're gonna see a lot of red light error conditions for people that need 8-amp charging.
Good point, although I believe the 11-12 evses were made by Lear and had questionable quality such as examples of overheating wiring. I would personally not get one of those.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I agree. The unit should match the vehicle so that the instructions in the manual match both. The OEM replacement units were re-engineered to avoid the early issues.

I never go cheap with electrical equipment. Or any other equipment for that matter.

It is possible that the dealer would replace your OEM unit for free if the car is under 80k miles.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
when the EVSA recall first came out you were allowed to return two units.

I keep one to see how long it would last outside in every day use starting in 2011

And it and the every ready bunny are still going. really getting tired of standing here with my clipboard and white lab coat :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts