GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody thought about charging in the winter outdoors? I'm wondering what a heavy snowfall or freezing rain might do to the charge connector and socket on the car. I have been thinking that I might get a peice of vinyl about 2'x2' and sew a few magnets in on one side so that it would stick to the fender and drape over the charge connector and socket so that snow and ice would not get into it. This could be a good accessory for Northern Volt owners. Any thoughts?

Attachments

· Registered
521 Posts
My volt was buried in the blizzard we had here in NJ last December just 2 weeks after I took delivery. It was plugged in the entire time and was completely buried for 3 days. We also had quite a few freezing rain storms and lots more snow [really rough winter here in the north east last year] and the car is just fine.

· Super Moderator
6,305 Posts
Has anybody thought about charging in the winter outdoors? I'm wondering what a heavy snowfall or freezing rain might do to the charge connector and socket on the car. I have been thinking that I might get a peice of vinyl about 2'x2' and sew a few magnets in on one side so that it would stick to the fender and drape over the charge connector and socket so that snow and ice would not get into it. This could be a good accessory for Northern Volt owners. Any thoughts?
That actually seems like a clever solution to have quick access to the door without scraping. If I needed to charge outside that is exactly what I'd do. Freezing rain is a major pain and while snowfall is not as big of deal there are times when it snows, warms, freezes which would suck.

· Registered
6,211 Posts
I've thought about it a lot as I think I will have to keep "the next car" outside as my garage really isn't ready for a 2nd car due to stuff positioned in there. I could make room but most likely can't maintain it. It's complicated and involves spousal decisions too. Anyway, the idea of the draped cover is great and should be a good idea for anything from rain to snow. One thing that I've heard is magnets can pull metallic particulates up through paint to create sort-of a paint "shape" where the magnet lies, but that may not be as bad in winter months versus warmed paint.

My neighbor has a great setup and has a separate 1-car garage where he puts his "better" car. For a while he had a Corvette in there but now looks like a Honda Accord. I might look to do something like that for the EV. Keeping it out of the elements would be very beneficial for long-term care.

· Registered
974 Posts
Since you're plugging in, you are obviously near an electric outlet, and a hair dryer should work fine should you have to infrequently melt ice. The charge cord works fine in heavy driving rain, so I wouldn't expect snow to be any different.

· Registered
405 Posts
I bet we'll be longing for the days when the charge cord used to overheat ;)

· Registered
348 Posts
Hey! That's the picture of MY Volt from last winter! Q, you're welcome to use it.
I really didn't have any problem with it, except for having to clear out the ice and snow. I noticed that sometimes I needde to help the charge door to open. However, I needed to do that this summer also. I brought it into the shop and they did whatever they do (including lubricating the mechanism), but it's sticking again intermittently. Maybe caused by damage during the winter? The remote opening door is cool but not too useful.

· Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey! That's the picture of MY Volt from last winter! Q, you're welcome to use it.
Lol! Since I just got my Volt I haven't had the opportunity to get any winter pics. I found your pic using Google images.
I wasn't even sure if it was a Volt at first. Thanks!

It's good to hear that nobody has had any issues with charging in the snow and I like Bob's idea too about keeping a hair dryer in the car for the odd time we would need to melt some ice.

· Registered
1,929 Posts

· Registered
971 Posts
Has anybody thought about charging in the winter outdoors? I'm wondering what a heavy snowfall or freezing rain might do to the charge connector and socket on the car.
Actually the plug and connector are an anti-freezing design which the manufacturers test for. See these images from a presentation I found on the FCI Rema J1772 connector which is used on the SPX Power Xpress L2 EVSE.

Attachments

· Registered
1,054 Posts
Man, I'm glad I live in the South. Around here an inch of snow causes panic.
Yeah, I know what you mean about the South and snow. My father lived in Mississippi and even 1/2" of snow would cause school to be cancelled. The biggest problem is the lack of equipment to remove it from the streets.

Around here, though, it takes a good 4" before anyone gets too excited. 1" is more of a nuisance, particularly if it hits at rush hour. I would think the entire issue may be worse in the "freezing rain" belt - Dallas being a good example of that kind of place.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.