GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you guys seeing for charge times on 240v? I rolled into work today with 2km left and plugged in at 4:30pm. I know its advertised to be charged in 3.5 hours. I'm almost at 7:30 and the car is at 60%. 8 pm would be 3.5 hours but it says the car won't be full charged until 9:45pm.

Is this normal or to be expected?

Also, how much does rain and temp make a difference on range? I compared my exact same driving route on Wednesday and Thursday and I was off by almost 20km range. Temps were maybe 5 or 6 Celsius lower and it was raining. Seems like a big difference.

Also, i noticed some days i noticed that I'll go from 92km range down to 75km range quickly and other days it hovers in the high 80's. These are all driving under very similar conditions.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I was under the impression advertised charge time was closer to 4:30-4:45. My gen 1 usually doesn't complete a full charge from 0 until around 4 hours so I would assume with the larger battery in the Gen 2 this would be about right. Keep in mind too that any temperature maintenance will add to the charge time (heat or cool battery). I've read that rain definitely negatively impacts range mainly due to added weight/drag on the tires from water. My range is pretty consistent from day to day lately, but we've been having nice spring like weather here in SoCal.

·
Registered
907 Posts
You also mention plugging in at work. Maybe work is 208VAC, not 240VAC. Common in commercial distribution. Gen 2 does take longer to recharge 14KWHr, compared to 10KWHr, even best case.

·
Registered
3,193 Posts
Yes driving in the rain is less efficient. And you could certainly see a 20km swing in range because of it. The temperature difference also plays a significant role even 5 or 6C.

The Gen II Volt takes about 16.4KWh to fully charge. (14KWh plus charging losses)

On 240V 16A that will take about 4 hours and 20mins. However as others have stated most work places will be on a commercial 208V. So 208V at 16A will take about 5 hours. These times are assuming no battery conditioning. Battery conditioning will extend the charge time a little.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I guess we should also be considering on what the charger is putting out. I used a charger at the local mall yesterday and it displayed a charge rate of 3.18 KW/H. So given that the battery would be about 16 KW's to reach full charge including loss of conversion we take the 16 and divide by 3.18 which gives us about a little over 5 hours charge time. So arriving at 4:30 and adding 5 hours gives us completion time of 9:30, which is pretty close to the expected completion time of 9:45 you were advised of. In general I have noticed that completion time is usually a few minuter earlier then quoted time.

As others have also pointed out the 208 volts in commercial chargers will reduce the charge rate by about 15% as compared to the 240 volts you might get out of a home charger.

I use the clipper creek 240 volt home charger which is $379 in us funds and charges my battery from empty to full in about 4.5 hours. If you are modifying your factory charger it will take about 5-3/4 to 6 hours. I believe the maximum charge rate that our car can take is 3.8 KW/H.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
The fastest a Gen 2 Volt could charge from empty to full is about 4 1/2 hours. If it is hot/cold (requiring the car to not only charge the battery but also heat/cool it), or the EVSE is not able to provide the full 3.6kw consistently, it will take longer to charge the battery

·
Registered
87 Posts
I guess we should also be considering on what the charger is putting out. I used a charger at the local mall yesterday and it displayed a charge rate of 3.18 KW/H. So given that the battery would be about 16 KW's to reach full charge including loss of conversion we take the 16 and divide by 3.18 which gives us about a little over 5 hours charge time. So arriving at 4:30 and adding 5 hours gives us completion time of 9:30, which is pretty close to the expected completion time of 9:45 you were advised of. In general I have noticed that completion time is usually a few minuter earlier then quoted time.

As others have also pointed out the 208 volts in commercial chargers will reduce the charge rate by about 15% as compared to the 240 volts you might get out of a home charger.

I use the clipper creek 240 volt home charger which is $379 in us funds and charges my battery from empty to full in about 4.5 hours. If you are modifying your factory charger it will take about 5-3/4 to 6 hours. I believe the maximum charge rate that our car can take is 3.8 KW/H.
Same equipment, same charging times for me! Almost the same location!

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
This is why people on this forum are wondering why GM didn't go with a much higher charge rate for GenII. Like double.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm using the Aerovironment Turbocord. I'm also getting 240v, my electrician checked when we installed it.

Ok so I guess it's normal. I did some reading previously on GM choosing not to use the larger charger. Now I see the downside.

Still love the car though.

·
Registered
2,488 Posts
I believe the Volt Gen 2 on 240 Volt will charge faster than the Gen 1 Volt. From a depleted battery to full, 16 KWH, takes 4 hours 15 min. to 4 hours 30 min. with our 2016 Volt. Probably a little more in the winter, and a little less in summer when temps are 70 degrees or so.

Our old 2014 Volt took a little less time with the same 240 Volt Clipper Creek HCH 40 , but only 12 kwh or so with the smaller battery of the Gen 1.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts