GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Charging time of a 2019 volt with 7.2 Kw charger on board is about is about 3.5 hrs as compared to 2.5 hours as advertised.
Below charging times of my volt

33mi 2h 16m
32mi 2h 2m
48 mi 3h 37m (o to full charge)

I dont see 2019 volt getting full charge in 2.5 hrs, can any one with 2019 volt with 7.2 Kw charger share their times to charge
Above time are with a 240 V charger at chargepoint station

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
A lot of "240V" charge stations in commercial settings are actually operating at 208 V due to the 3-phase power issue. This would cause a longer charge time than one operating at a true full 240 V. Does that Chargepoint station have a display that shows its operating voltage or wattage?

·
Registered
419 Posts
^^^ as above ....and in my humble experience "some" of the commercial/free EVSE charging stations seem to also restrict the output amps, but yes they almost all use 208V.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
Although you can't directly measure the voltage of the Chargepoint station, if there is a power readout displaying the kW while charging you can determine the charging voltage. I frequently use a public Level 2 charging station that displays ~3100 watts power while charging my 2017 Volt. Dividing 3100 by 15 amps = ~206.6V. The highest output I have ever observed for this public charging station, when charging a Tesla Model X, has been 6200 watts = ~ 30 amps @ 206.6V. Lower Level 2 charging voltage is probably why you have experienced longer charging times than expected. You will achieve 230/240V level 2 charging voltages when you charge using Level 2 at home.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Plus balancing time doesn't happen any faster. And the car doesn't register as "done charging" until that's finished, even if it's in a state where it would be fully charged if you interrupted it.

·
Registered
120 Posts
If you're using a chargepoint station its charging at 6.6 kw not 7.2. You can verify this using mygreenvolt app. It will give you exact voltage, Amos and wattage.

·
Registered
101 Posts
If you're using a chargepoint station its charging at 6.6 kw not 7.2. You can verify this using mygreenvolt app. It will give you exact voltage, Amos and wattage.
I know the ChargePoint stations put up where I work state on the screen that they charge up to 6.6 kw but will be split between 2 cars (if both plugs are utilized).
Viewing the CP website while charging, I think the most "power" I've seen it register my '14 using is 3.17 kw while charging.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts