GM Volt Forum banner

Charging Tesla with volt charger?

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  Don M 
#1 ·
I have the factory volt chager with a 220 plug adapter that i use for charging. My coworker bought a Tesla and was hoping to use my charger while we are at work, he says he has an adapter which goes from the volt charger to the Tesla. Are there any issues with charging a Tesla with the volt charger?

#7 ·
Your 'charger' isn't a charger - The charger is in the car. What you have is an EVSE which supplies current to the charger in the car

Most Tesla owners carry an assortment of adapters so they can charge from most any source. A J-1772 to Tesla adapter is what they would need to charge using your EVSE. Since that adapter is the most common one for the Tesla crowd, if they have any adapters at all, they probably have that one

Don

#4 ·
This should be no problem.

There is one odd thing about using the Tesla adapter, though. After charging, if you unplug the J1772 plug from the adapter and leave the adapter in the Tesla's charge port, you will then be unable to remove the adapter from the charge port. Do it in the opposite order.

#6 ·
Yes - and there is a trick to it. Press and hold the release button on the J1772 plug to disconnect the power. The car will unlock the adapter. Then pull both the plug and adapter out in one motion.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.