·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
Reactions: FI Spyder

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
Their other car is a BMW... /s
I've seen several Teslas taking up the only two free L2 spots when there is an empty Supercharger with a half dozen spots on the other side of the parking lot. Really?

·
Registered
13,923 Posts
Yes, there was a Tesla and a regular charging station at a hotel/restaurant in Cannon Beach when we were there last for dinner. Didn't charge. There were two Teslas taking the charging spots. The one in the J1772 charger spot was not plugged in.
It's bad enough getting ICEd by a gasser. What's the term for a Tesla owner who parks in the charging spot not charging?

·
Registered
13,923 Posts
I've seen several Teslas taking up the only two free L2 spots when there is an empty Supercharger with a half dozen spots on the other side of the parking lot. Really?
Because the supercharger might not be free for them.... cheapskate priveleged Tesla owner...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Ok, so I almost never need to charge my volt when I am not at home, but the few times I have tried the chargers all look like the wrong size.
Am I missing something or are most charging stations not set up to plug a Volt Gen1 into?
Is anyone making adapters?

·
Registered
13,923 Posts
Is anyone making adapters?
Most adapters won’t work. Tesla has software behind their plugs that need to handshake with your car, and try to Bill you for it. chademo and SAE combo charging plugs have DC voltage that just isn’t compatible with the AC needed for J1772.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Gen 2 Volts and Bolts with the optional DC fast charging option can also use the SEA Combo CCS.
This is correct for the Bolt, but DC fast charging was not an option on either the gen 1 or gen 2 Volt. Volts can only use J1772 connectors, not the SAE CCS DC fast charge connector.

Thanks for posting the connector pictures, they're very helpful for anyone new to public charging!

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
It's bad enough getting ICEd by a gasser. What's the term for a Tesla owner who parks in the charging spot not charging?
That would be a Teslasshole.

Reactions: jbakerjonathan

·
Administrator
20,422 Posts
This is correct for the Bolt, but DC fast charging was not an option on either the gen 1 or gen 2 Volt. Volts can only use J1772 connectors, not the SAE CCS DC fast charge connector.
Thanks for the correction! I was thinking of the 2019 option for 7.2kW charging vs Gen 1's 3.6kW.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Gen1 is only 3.3kW.
My 2015 surprised me the other day. I completely depleted my battery (which doesn't happen very often) and was running on ICE when I got home. Plugged in my Duosida running on 240v at 4:08. The charging was complete at 7:09! I've never seen it charge so fast.

·
Registered
13,923 Posts
My 2015 surprised me the other day. I completely depleted my battery (which doesn't happen very often) and was running on ICE when I got home. Plugged in my Duosida running on 240v at 4:08. The charging was complete at 7:09! I've never seen it charge so fast.
Was it cold where maybe the battery wasn’t depleted and it was in ERDTT mode? Another possibility could be that it was cold, so your range was low, but then you have a warm garage which warmed the battery causing it to regain some charge? The only other thing I could think of is that you have the software update and it might have disabled some of your cells, so you have less to charge? All pure guesses. I don’t drive nearly as much as I used to, so I have no idea what my car is doing nowadays. Got the sw update in nov and haven’t filled the fuel tank nor put any miles on it since

·
Registered
4,027 Posts
I've often noted a "full charge" as reported by the little green dash light finishing in about 3 hours instead of taking the full 4-ish. I just figured it decided to finish the balancing part early that change for its own reasons.

·
Registered
1,460 Posts
Was it cold where maybe the battery wasn’t depleted and it was in ERDTT mode? Another possibility could be that it was cold, so your range was low, but then you have a warm garage which warmed the battery causing it to regain some charge? The only other thing I could think of is that you have the software update and it might have disabled some of your cells, so you have less to charge? All pure guesses. I don’t drive nearly as much as I used to, so I have no idea what my car is doing nowadays. Got the sw update in nov and haven’t filled the fuel tank nor put any miles on it since
No, this was on Feb. 10, the high that day was 75F, I would guess it was about 73F when I plugged it in. The low got down to about 58 that night. Here in S. Louisiana, ERDTT is not a thing, heated steering wheels and seats are merely curiosities. I did have the software update done in June of '19, but I don't think that disabled any cells.

The only thing I did different that day was run it in Mountain Mode for about 10 minutes on the interstate after the battery depleted on my way home. But MM didn't add any mileage to the GOM (it stayed on 0), so I switched back to Normal and of course the engine ran just like it was in Hold mode.

·
Registered
2018 Volt Premier w/ACC
497 Posts
Charging infrastructure is OK if 1) You're in a major city and 2) You drive a Tesla.
True, it's kind of like broadband. We fit neither category and why we love our Volt.

·
Registered
2,668 Posts
True, it's kind of like broadband. We fit neither category and why we love our Volt.
It is, and now we have Starlink where everybody can have it. Just as we have Petro Canada with charging stations across Canada (on Trans Canada Highway where most of the population lives), and soon 500,000 charging stations stations from Shell in the US. Kind of like I was getting advertising for years from Telus trying to get me to sign up for their optical broadband when it wasn't available (it now is). Good thing we had internet cable. You can still do it but the car(or your phone) is going to have a much easier time finding them in the future.

21 - 39 of 39 Posts