GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering are there any tax credits that are still being given out for installing a L2 charging station?

I know for a while they were doing it but I'm going to be leasing a Volt this month and was wondering if there was anything going on with them.

I live in Michigan by the way

·
Registered
525 Posts
I was told when I bought my charger in November 2013 there was a 30% tax credit, and they gave me the form. When I filed with Turbo Tax they said I could not claim it, even though I bought the charger in 2013.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The 30% EVSE tax credit ended in 2013, we got our volt in December and rushed to get the EVSE, Went to pick up at the clipper creek main office and they actually only had one left, informed us that due to the ending tax incentive they had a big uptick in orders at the end of December.

Turbotax does show the credit when filing.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I was told when I bought my charger in November 2013 there was a 30% tax credit, and they gave me the form. When I filed with Turbo Tax they said I could not claim it, even though I bought the charger in 2013.
Same thing happened to me. I feel lied to but I don't really know who to blame here really. When TurboTax did it's calculation and said, in essence, that I didn't qualify I filled out the forms myself manually to confirm. The forms themselves have defective instructions because if you use them to the letter I qualify but if you go by IRS intent I don't.

Basically, if you make enough money, and you claim the $7500 credit for the car you can't claim the EVSE credit in the same year. Oh and you can't bring it over to next year because it is now expired. Nice.

·
Registered
652 Posts
The 30% EVSE tax credit ended in 2013, we got our volt in December and rushed to get the EVSE, Went to pick up at the clipper creek main office and they actually only had one left, informed us that due to the ending tax incentive they had a big uptick in orders at the end of December.

Turbotax does show the credit when filing.
For many people here, me included, you are not able to claim the EVSE credit, even though the $7500 credit goes through just fine. There have been many posts in various threads (one started by me) about this. It's tough to pin down a reason on Turbo Tax. Some run into the AMT, others don't owe enough tax to get a credit. For me, and many others, it was just plain disallowed. With the almost infinite variety of differences in tax returns, it's hard to figure out why. Just don't go into your tax preparation assuming that you'll get the EVSE credit. You may have an unpleasant surprise.

·
Registered
32 Posts
For many people here, me included, you are not able to claim the EVSE credit, even though the $7500 credit goes through just fine. There have been many posts in various threads (one started by me) about this. It's tough to pin down a reason on Turbo Tax. Some run into the AMT, others don't owe enough tax to get a credit. For me, and many others, it was just plain disallowed. With the almost infinite variety of differences in tax returns, it's hard to figure out why. Just don't go into your tax preparation assuming that you'll get the EVSE credit. You may have an unpleasant surprise.
That's true, but just to add a data point, we had just finished filing our 2013 tax returns, turbo tax automatically claimed both the Federal rebate for our 14 volt and the L2 EVSE rebate at 30%, both purchased in December. Guess we just happened to be in the right band so I recommend everyone still give the tax software a try rather than assume they are mutually exclusive. :)

·
Registered
652 Posts
That's true, but just to add a data point, we had just finished filing our 2013 tax returns, turbo tax automatically claimed both the Federal rebate for our 14 volt and the L2 EVSE rebate at 30%, both purchased in December. Guess we just happened to be in the right band so I recommend everyone still give the tax software a try rather than assume they are mutually exclusive. :)
Sure, I agree, everyone should try it. I just wish someone could focus on why it's allowed on some returns and not others. It's possible I didn't have enough tax liability for the EVSE part of the return to kick in. As it is, I only got 7200 of the 7500 back.

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So my other question is does anyone know where I can buy a used one?

I have asked this question before but I never had a answer on another post.

·
Registered
32 Posts
So my other question is does anyone know where I can buy a used one?

I have asked this question before but I never had a answer on another post.
Craigslist has them, but not often since the electric cars are still fairly new and people who have them like them so much so are not getting rid of them in great numbers. Besides, you can find threads on this forum that warranty is important on these EVSEs so a new one might be in your best interest in the long run (especially the voltec ones from what I read here). The hardware isn't the expensive part for most, the proper installation is.

·
Registered
2 Posts
OK, I spent some time on this and have things figured out why some claim to being able to leverage the Personal Charging Station Credit (PCSC) and others not.

The summary is, a person will only benefit from the PCSC if their tax before any credits (TBC) [line 1040 line 44] is greater than their theoretical AMT by $7500. That is, for every dollar (TBC-$7500) > AMT, you gain the same for the credit until you reach the $7500 maximum.

This is what it all boils down to.

Turbo tax has got it right. They just dont explain the circumstances very well why the credit washes away dependent on ones tax liability with respect to the AMT.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Even though the EVSE federal tax credit expired at the end of 2013, save those receipt. Congress might actually do their job and pass legislation, to include renewals of previously expired tax credits, such as the EVSE 30% tax credit. It's a longshot, but it's not unheard of. I believe that's what happened in 2012. Credit expired at the end of 2011, and ended up getting renewed in the last half of 2012.

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
30% federal EVSE tax credit has been restored! ....for 2 weeks until the end of 2014. But it is retroactive to 1 Jan 2014, so if you had one installed earlier this year, you'll be able to claim the credit.

Now, I have a question. I know the 30% fed tax credit is limited to $1,000 for residential installations....what if you have 2 EVSEs installed at your residence? Would you be able to claim the credit for both, thus maxing out the credit? Or is the credit only good for 1 installation?

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/politics/20141217_ap_6b489d6a5e3f486bb2128414fa641ecb.html

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
I don't see EVSE credits in here: http://thomas.loc.gov/cgi-bin/bdquery/z?d113:HR05771:@@@L&summ2=m&

Subclause (VI) of section 48C(c)(1)(A)(i) is amended by striking ‘‘, qualified plug-in electric vehicles (as defined by section 30(d)),’’
Here's the part of the bill I found that says the credit was reinstated:

"Sec. 161 – Credit for alternative fuel vehicle refueling property

This section would extend this credit through 2014. The credit is 30 percent of the cost of installing alternative fuel vehicle refueling property.

JCT estimates that this provision will reduce revenue by $41 million from 2015-2024."

http://www.rpc.senate.gov/legislati...-hr-5771_tax-increase-prevention-act/able-act

Oh man, I can't find Sec 161 in the final version....did they end up deleting it?? Well crap, if so, that's like the only tax credit they DIDN'T extend that expired last year. What a bummer.

edit #2:

Here's the link to the final PDF version....Sec 161 (EVSE tax credit) is in there! Phew

http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/BILLS-113hr5771eh/pdf/BILLS-113hr5771eh.pdf

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
Now the question is.....does the Turbocord qualify for the credit if you don't need any installation done?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts