GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting a charging station put in my garage by a electrical contractor who I found on the ESA website.
The contractor tells me that he has to book an appointment with an ESA inspector to get the certificate. He is going to charge me the waiting time he has to wait for the inspector to show up when the appt is booked. I thought that licensed electrical contractors in Ontario could provide the certificate.

Even the rules written in the EVIP website say:

"You will need to provide proof of installation by showing your certificate of inspection issued by the ESA. The certificate can be obtained from the electrical contractor who installed the charging station or from the ESA if the installation was completed by an employee or a homeowner."

So is this guy I am getting to do the install even licenced? I found him on the ESA website.
Something is not right here.

·
Registered
156 Posts
After the electrical work is done by the electrician, s/he then will schedule an appointment for the ESA to come over to the site and inspect the work done. Once that is completed, the certificate is issued by ESA and then forwarded to the electrician. You are then given a copy of the certificate.

(That's how it went for me)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
What if it takes two days for the inspector to show up? Sounds like the quote is padded and open-ended.

Since a homeowner can get the inspection, why do ya need the electrician to baby-sit?

·
Registered
193 Posts
Ok Score one for USA... we get a 30% tax credit. I installed my Clipper Creek myself and saved my receipt....pretty simple compared to our Northern cousins!

·
Registered
568 Posts
If you haven't gotten the work done -- I'd tell him to just do the work, and then leave. He doesn't need to be around for anything. Why should pay him to sit around doing nothing if he's not needed?

If he scoffs - tell him you don't need him at all then because you don't want someone like that doing the work. He obviously just wants to pad the job cost and get paid to do nothing. You don't need him in the slightest to setup the inspection, call them yourselves and schedule it after the work is completed.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
If you haven't gotten the work done -- I'd tell him to just do the work, and then leave. He doesn't need to be around for anything. Why should pay him to sit around doing nothing if he's not needed?

If he scoffs - tell him you don't need him at all then because you don't want someone like that doing the work. He obviously just wants to pad the job cost and get paid to do nothing. You don't need him in the slightest to setup the inspection, call them yourselves and schedule it after the work is completed.
Better still, if you haven't gotten the work done, get another contractor. He doesn't even have to be around to have his work inspected, much less be paid to wait.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Ok Score one for USA... we get a 30% tax credit. I installed my Clipper Creek myself and saved my receipt....pretty simple compared to our Northern cousins!
We get a cheque from the province for 50% of the hardware cost, and 50% of the installation, with a maximum total of $1000. It has nothing to do with our tax status. I'd say it's a win for us, at least on the dollars.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Get a new installer that can self-certify.
Or have him do it and arrange your own inspection.
Or install yourself and arrange your own inspection and save yourself a chunk of change.
So long as you know the right wire and breaker size, it's the second simplest wiring job you can do.
The easiest being a light that only has two wires to connect, not three. ;)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Get a new installer that can self-certify.
Or have him do it and arrange your own inspection.
Or install yourself and arrange your own inspection and save yourself a chunk of change.
So long as you know the right wire and breaker size, it's the second simplest wiring job you can do.
The easiest being a light that only has two wires to connect, not three. ;)

I did a bit of research and it looks like ESA does not allow electrical contractors in Ontario to do the inspection for electric car chargers, they can do it for other things but not electrical car chargers. So I will go with option 2, have the contractor connect, as I have already run the cable, and book my own inspection.
Thanks for all the advice.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Folks, I'm up in Markham ON. Can anyone recommend a good soul in Durham or York perhaps who might be willing to make the trip? 9th line and Hwy 7, near Markham Stouffville Hospital...

TIA if you can help,

NC

·
Registered
89 Posts
Well in BC, we get a whopping 0% rebate on our charging station installations. There was a rebate a couple of years ago, but the money ran out, and there is no signs of a new rebate. This was for individual homes. I am not sure what the status of a more recent multi dwelling unit, charger rebate is.
In BC, we also have what seems as one of the smallest rebates for the purchase of a Volt, at $5000.

·
Registered
6 Posts
What are you doing when you have to move, like i did to find more work. In CT they are great with lots of free stations. But , dude, you have to walk, cab or get friends to go back to the charging station.

·
Registered
6 Posts
BTW my dealer in CT gave me $3300 through Eversource Electric, $5900 in dealer incentives, the $7500 Fed credit, The dealer paid off the remaining $2699 on the 2013 Volt which ran out of miles. Connecticut is serious about EVs. Trust me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts