GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a way to keep the default charge rate at 12 amps? Mine resets every time to 8 amps and I have to go and change it back to 12 amps every time I plug in.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Is there a way to keep the default charge rate at 12 amps? Mine resets every time to 8 amps and I have to go and change it back to 12 amps every time I plug in.
You can use location based charging, which sets your home location to always use 12 amps.

Charge Limit Preference Selection

The Charge Limit Preference setting allows the customer to select their vehicle’s charge level so it matches the capability of their charging location... The Charge Limit Preference setting resets to the Reduced 8 amp setting each time the vehicle is driven. Location Based Charging can be enabled to maintain Maximum 12 amp setting at a specified Home location. See “Location Based Charging” later in this section...

Using Location Based Charging

To use location based charging, a home location must first be stored. To store a home location:
  1. From the Home screen, touch Settings.
  2. Touch Vehicle.
  3. Touch Energy.
  4. Touch Location Based Charging.
  5. Touch Set Home Location.
  6. A pop-up will confirm the setting and the compass will be lit. In addition, the Set Home Location will change to Update Home Location.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I have a 2011 Volt and set the charging current on my Level 1 (120v) EVSE, so I have never had to deal with this issue. That being said, a second option for you is to install and use a Level 2 (240v) EVSE which sidesteps the requirement of having to deal with 8 or 12 amp Level 1 charging. You also benefit from faster charging.

VIN # B0985

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, will try this. Also I will be adding the 220v charging at home.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
If you give us the Volt modem year - Elemental can supply you with the page link to the online manual with more information.

Always wonders if I was the only one that wanted the 8 amps to change to 6 amps :)

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got it to work, thanks. RTFM, but what fun would that be. I also figured out all the other vehicle customizations on that screen.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I got it to work, thanks. RTFM, but what fun would that be. I also figured out all the other vehicle customizations on that screen.
Settings for location based charging only remain active for ~6 months [Correction: 90 days], then you must set the Home Location again.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
90 days per my manual

·
Registered
3,181 Posts
The 2nd Gen Volt will allow you to override the default 8 amps for three months at a time using Location based charging, but even doing this I've discovered that about half the time my Volt doesn't know where it is so it uses 8 amps even sitting in my driveway.

·
Registered
675 Posts
You can use location based charging, which sets your home location to always use 12 amps.

Charge Limit Preference Selection

The Charge Limit Preference setting allows the customer to select their vehicle’s charge level so it matches the capability of their charging location... The Charge Limit Preference setting resets to the Reduced 8 amp setting each time the vehicle is driven. Location Based Charging can be enabled to maintain Maximum 12 amp setting at a specified Home location. See “Location Based Charging” later in this section...
Ironically, I answered this post even though I had never used 120v charging on my 2017 gen2 Volt -- I do use location based time of completion charging on my gen2 Volt. Otherwise, my car has always been charging at 240v 15A at home, and occasionally at 208v public chargers at 16A. I have also used 240v 12A charging using the 240v=>120v pigtail (a splurge).

The irony is we are on vacation this week at a B&B in Rockport Texas, and for three days, I am using 120v 12A charging so I also had to lookup how to use 12A charging for the first time for my gen2 Volt. Since, I haven't changed my home location so I've been using the menu to change it back to 12A yesterday and today. What a pain :) I'm only here for two more nights; if I were going to be here even one more day, I'd change my Volt's home location to be at the B&B.

It is nice that the gen2 Volt works so well on ordinary 120v 12A charging. When I first bought the Clipper Creek charger for my gen1 Volt, I did so to get around the limitations of a 38 mile battery which I felt was somewhat limiting. For the gen2 Volt, I feel that a 53mile battery is much less limiting and I usually just charge overnight since it is cooler overnight in the summer in Texas. 240v at home usually gives me a full charge in 4 hours 25 minutes or so; though I only run the battery out on road trips. If I'm close to going over 14kwh for the day, I use the "double pump" to start the charging immediately at home. The location based charging normally is to finish around 5:30am unless I start it immediately using the double pump.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts