GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello... I've had my Volt for a little over a year. Great car.

Question 1: I know that 80% of my miles are on electricity. Is there an easy way to see how many kWh I've used to charge with?

Question 2: I forget to plug in my car every couple of months when I'm at home or at work. Is there an that emails you a warning when your vehicle is at home/work but not plugged in?

Question 3: I heard you should set up your charging to have your car finish charging right when you're planning on departure. Is there a phone ap or site that helps with setting up the TOU rates to accomplish this?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Question 1: I know that 80% of my miles are on electricity. Is there an easy way to see how many kWh I've used to charge with?
Only if that is a feature of your EVSE unit. Some of the more featureful EVSE's have WiFi and apps that you can get that from. Some have a digital readout that show total kWh's consumed. That info is not available from the Volt or OnStar.

Question 2: I forget to plug in my car every couple of months when I'm at home or at work. Is there an that emails you a warning when your vehicle is at home/work but not plugged in?
Not sure if OnStar services provide that info - someone else might help on this one....

Question 3: I heard you should set up your charging to have your car finish charging right when you're planning on departure. Is there a phone ap or site that helps with setting up the TOU rates to accomplish this?
That is only really necessary if your local electricity service provider has off-peak variable electricity rates. And I don't think you can do that from an app - you have to use the Volt screen. See pages 120-128 of your manual.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The explanation I got was that you want the battery warm for higher efficiency. So regardless of TOU rates you want to time your charging cycle to complete around the time you're planning on driving next.

·
Registered
419 Posts
The Volt looks after and maintains the battery at reasonable temperatures as long as your car is plugged in. What you are suggesting for increased efficiency is probably so minimal as to not be worth worrying about.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

Re Q1: Yes, if your Volt is registered on the my.chevrolet.com web site you should be able to view up to 12 months of vehicle charging and energy usage history.

Re Q2: Yes, you can set a charging reminder, OnStar will send you a text message if your vehicle is not plugged in by the specified time. (Not sure which OnStar plan this currently falls under, it used to be part of the now obsolete Basic Plan.)

re Q3: You can set the Volt to complete charging at you preferred departure time, say 7:00 A.M. The battery will already be warmed from charging so no further energy will be needed to warm up the battery. This is separate from setting Peak and Off-Peak TOU charging windows. One problem, if you don't properly set up the charging windows then charging may not be completed by your charge completion time. This is less likely to be an issue if you use Level 2 charging as the Volt can fully recharge using Level 2 charging in 4.5 hours ( even less time in the 2019 Volt Premier and Volt LT; 2 hours 20 minutes for the 2019 Volt with the 7.2kW charger.)

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
There are devices you can attach or clamp to your house wires to monitor voltage and current.

These are used a lot in the solar power field

For a short term test for a few charge cycles using 120 Vac even a kill-a-watt meter will work.

(long term use plugged directly into a home 120 volt outlet at 12 Amps can over heat the socket as they tend not to offer a tight fit )

·
Registered
217 Posts

The JuiceBox Pro 40 can do all three of these things.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Re Q1: Yes, if your Volt is registered on the my.chevrolet.com web site you should be able to view up to 12 months of vehicle charging and energy usage history.
If using this method, would the OP need to add the energy lost in charging? I believe reading on this forum that charging efficiency is about 85% using Level 2.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
If using this method, would the OP need to add the energy lost in charging? I believe reading on this forum that charging efficiency is about 85% using Level 2.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Correct. OnStar has no way of knowing if the Volt was charged using Level 1 or Level 2, grid or solar.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts

They have no way of determining voltage would be from solar...yet!:cool:
That is the current status but when you display the last 7 days OnStar only provides the kWh added to the battery not the level of charging that was used. Lifetime kWh used are also available, does not break down Level 1 and Level 2.

·
Registered
203 Posts

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
They always knew the voltage as it helps give you a charge time to finish-- or a good guess

·
Registered
217 Posts
That gauge is nice!

The JuiceBox does something similar and displays a status screen with amps, voltage, KW and temp. It also reports on how many KW were used.

DashboardStatus.jpg

·
Registered
11 Posts
I use a meter I found on Amazon it is a BAYITE AC 80_260V 100Amp LCD display. I monitor one leg of the 240V circuit I use for my level 2 charger. If you wanted to monitor both legs you would buy a second meter but I just multiple by 2. The meter tells me how many Volts,Amps,Watts and KWh I use. I use it mainly to monitor how many KWh I use in a month. Last month I used 80 KWh at .11 cents per so last month it cost $ 8.80 for the month. We traveled 375 miles. Oh btw the meter is 17 bucks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts