GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Administrator
19,977 Posts
Whatever you want, it doesn't matter. Though Chevy recommends leaving it plugged in so the car can cool the battery as needed without depleting the battery. I keep mine plugged in. I think most people do.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
Whatever you want, it doesn't matter. Though Chevy recommends leaving it plugged in so the car can cool the battery as needed without depleting the battery. I keep mine plugged in. I think most people do.
I wonder if keeping it plugged in helps with cell balancing. We typically keep our LEAF plugged in after reaching 100% SOC to facilitate cell balancing, so I assumed the same would benefit the Volt battery.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
When the fuel tank decides to pressure or when you do a remote start in the winter to precondition the car, leaving it plugged in guarantees that you have a full charge when you leave. Don't bother unplugging as you won't be helping anything. When I first bought my volt I asked the volt advisor whether it was gentler on the battery to charge at L1 over L2 and they told me that it didn't matter. Use it if you'Vr got it.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I'm so looking forward to the preconditioning this winter. Granted I'm in N. Texas so we don't get the crazy sub zero stuff, but I love high tech things, and it will be so fun hitting a button on my phone.

Will have L2 charging at home and hopefully at work too.

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
I'm so looking forward to the preconditioning this winter. Granted I'm in N. Texas so we don't get the crazy sub zero stuff, but I love high tech things, and it will be so fun hitting a button on my phone.

Will have L2 charging at home and hopefully at work too.
Why wait until winter? You can precondition in the summer too.

·
Registered
6,661 Posts
Plug it in and let the Volt manage itself. A Plugged In Volt is a Happy Volt.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
thanks all i didn't even think about the preconditioning
I use pre-conditioning most of the year in Texas. When it gets down to a bone-chilling 45F ya need a little heat! Mostly, it's A/C needed. Even in February. This 'winter' I got to use the heated steering wheel a few times.

In Texas, we need a cooled steering wheel and cooled seats. Hopefully, someone at GM listens.

·
Registered
31 Posts
In a related question - I going to be away for a couple of months this summer and leaving my 2017 Volt in the garage at my Florida home. I know leaving the car plugged into my level 2 charging station will keep the high voltage batteries charged, but does it also charge the 12 volt battery, or should I disconnect that and put it on a "battery tender" charger?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
In a related question - I going to be away for a couple of months this summer and leaving my 2017 Volt in the garage at my Florida home. I know leaving the car plugged into my level 2 charging station will keep the high voltage batteries charged, but does it also charge the 12 volt battery, or should I disconnect that and put it on a "battery tender" charger?
2014+ models all check on and maintain the 12V battery periodically while plugged in (even if not actively charging).
So yes, leaving it plugged in should keep it happy.

·
Registered
72 Posts
2014+ models all check on and maintain the 12V battery periodically while plugged in (even if not actively charging).
So yes, leaving it plugged in should keep it happy.
To the comment on storing for several months, there is a school of thought that storing LiIon batteries at about 20% charge is optimal. Technically I believe it reduces dielectric stress, and you might note new batteries are delivered in this state. Lots of information out there. A separate thread in this forum discusses this and adds that a trickle charger can be used to maintain the 12v battery while storing the vehicle with main battery charge is reduced. Here is the FAQ on this subject http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?18435-Long-Term-Storage-Guide

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
To the comment on storing for several months, there is a school of thought that storing LiIon batteries at about 20% charge is optimal. Technically I believe it reduces dielectric stress, and you might note new batteries are delivered in this state. Lots of information out there. A separate thread in this forum discusses this and adds that a trickle charger can be used to maintain the 12v battery while storing the vehicle with main battery charge is reduced. Here is the FAQ on this subject http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?18435-Long-Term-Storage-Guide
For clarity, though, the 12v is NOT a LiIon. It's an acid-based Absorbed Glass Mat, basically a leak-proof version of the flooded batteries used for starting cars for a hundred years, and those store best close to a full charge.

(and, on the matter of the high-voltage pack, since it's never actually fully charged or discharged, my expectation that leaving it plugged in harms little and has the least ways that things can go inconveniently wrong later. It's one of those things that gains SO LITTLE with spending time and effort on that it's not really worth the bother.)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts