GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
595 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TTa said "My guess is that he is only charging on 8 amps instead of 12. So, instead of having a fully charged battery in the morning, he only has about 80% because it takes ~4 hours more to charge on 8 vs 12.

kshah, make sure you change the setting every time you are ready to charge whenever you are using the OEM charger. This is a gripe amongst many Volt owners...and you can bypass all of this by installing a Level 2 charger."

What does that mean: "Change the setting when you are ready to charge." ??? My Volt is a 2014. Am I supposed to do that? (And what is THAT). I do have an electrician coming out on June 10th to install a 240 charger. I am ready to order the unit from Clipper Creek, and am trying to decide between a plug in 240 cord, and having it hard-wired. Is it easier to steal if it is just a plug-in?

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
TTa said "My guess is that he is only charging on 8 amps instead of 12. So, instead of having a fully charged battery in the morning, he only has about 80% because it takes ~4 hours more to charge on 8 vs 12.

kshah, make sure you change the setting every time you are ready to charge whenever you are using the OEM charger. This is a gripe amongst many Volt owners...and you can bypass all of this by installing a Level 2 charger."

What does that mean: "Change the setting when you are ready to charge." ??? My Volt is a 2014. Am I supposed to do that? (And what is THAT). I do have an electrician coming out on June 10th to install a 240 charger. I am ready to order the unit from Clipper Creek, and am trying to decide between a plug in 240 cord, and having it hard-wired. Is it easier to steal if it is just a plug-in?
2013+ Volts default to 8 amp charging (instead of 12 amps), which results in 15-16 hour full recharge times instead of 10 hours @120V. You need to change the charge setting to 12 amps inside the car after every time you shut the car down, as it defaults back to 8 amps once you put the shifter into 'P'. With L2 charging, there is no messing around with charge settings.
That's why I like my 2012 Volt, even though it has a smaller battery, no hold mode, etc... It would have driven me crazy having to select 12 amps every day.

I have the LCS-25 hardwired unit. I would imagine the plugged version is easier to steal, but even having a hardwired unit won't stop a determined thief. The hardwired unit is also (officially)) rated for outdoor use, while the plugged unit is not.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I would have it hard wired. Gives you solid electrical connections and that's what the Volt likes. I've used a Clipper Creek 240vac unit for the past five months with zero issues. I fed it with #8 cable (oversized I know) and get a full charge in about 3 hours - 45 minutes.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I would use a plug in. So if ya move, it's easier to take it with you. I'm considering getting a more portable charger for using 240v at relatives' homes. This GE is HUGE.

One good thing about the GE is that it has a locking bracket. Still, that won't stop someone that is really trying.

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
If you do go with the CC 240v EVSE- it automatically charges at 13.75amp rate.
No need to ever set anything on the car regarding charge rate once you use 240v charging.... just plug in and it's fully charged in about 4hrs.
240v charging is slightly more efficient vs. 120v charging- so you'll save a few pennies per charge too.

·
Registered
468 Posts
DogMom, be sure to read your Volt's user manual. It seems like you might have read it too quickly or perhaps not read it. There are other good bits of information about the car in the manual.

·
Registered
3,942 Posts

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
2013+ Volts default to 8 amp charging (instead of 12 amps), which results in 15-16 hour full recharge times instead of 10 hours @120V. You need to change the charge setting to 12 amps inside the car after every time you shut the car down, as it defaults back to 8 amps once you put the shifter into 'P'. With L2 charging, there is no messing around with charge settings.
That's why I like my 2012 Volt, even though it has a smaller battery, no hold mode, etc... It would have driven me crazy having to select 12 amps every day.

I have the LCS-25 hardwired unit. I would imagine the plugged version is easier to steal, but even having a hardwired unit won't stop a determined thief. The hardwired unit is also (officially)) rated for outdoor use, while the plugged unit is not.
you didn't answer the OP's question fully.
OP- when you charge from a regular household plug, the car will default to 1000 watt charge rate (8 amps) unless you select a 1500 watt rate (12 amps). you have to make this selection at the time that you plug in. The selection is made in the car, on one of the sub menu's on the energy screen.
you can change the charge rate while the car is charging on 120 Volts, and you don't need to have your key fob with you to change the charge rate, just push the radio power button and then the energy screen button to get to the energy screen.

If you are charging at 240 volts, you do not need to make any selection. I thinkthat the Plug is better indoors because it provides you with more flexibility. others obviously have different opinions. Also if you drive to your sister in laws, you can bring your EVSE and plug into their Dryer outlet then....

is theft a concern in your neighborhood? An evse has enough copper to make it a tempting target in some areas for the scrap pickers/thieves ... there is no real good way to prevent that, they will come along with a cable cutter and cut off whatever they can get to and not worry about the rest... I hope there are very few "EVSE" thieves out there, but I suppose there is a place to fence anything these days....

·
Banned
7,289 Posts
you didn't answer the OP's question fully.
OP- when you charge from a regular household plug, the car will default to 1000 watt charge rate (8 amps) unless you select a 1500 watt rate (12 amps). you have to make this selection at the time that you plug in. The selection is made in the car, on one of the sub menu's on the energy screen.
If you are charging at 240 volts, you do not need to make any selection. I thinkthat the Plug is better indoors because it provides you with more flexibility. others obviously have different opinions. Also if you drive to your sister in laws, you can bring your EVSE and plug into their Dryer outlet then....

is theft a concern in your neighborhood? An evse has enough copper to make it a tempting target in some areas for the scrap pickers/thieves ... there is no real good way to prevent that, they will come along with a cable cutter and cut off whatever they can get to and not worry about the rest... I hope there are very few "EVSE" thieves out there, but I suppose there is a place to fence anything these days....
Pretty sure what you posted is exactly what I said, in slightly different wording.

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Pretty sure what you posted is exactly what I said, in slightly different wording.
Sorry if I did, I thought you assumed a couple of basic ideas to be within the OP's knowledge base, which I took their question to indicate were not...

·
Registered
347 Posts
Most here choose the Clipper Creek LCS-25 but I opted for the LCS-20, installed 90 degree plug, and a quality outlet. I prefer this cleaner install versus installing an adjoining junction box.

The LCS-20 makes use of the maximum current the Volt can handle (16 amps) and allows me to be portable if I so choose. The LCS-20 makes it potentially more portable to the current constraints that other locations may have with the 20 amp LCS-25.

·
Registered
364 Posts

Another two factors if considering plug in vs hardwired is you can "if using a plug in unit"

1. have the flexibility of having an available 14-50 outlet in your garage for other uses and or vehicles that can utilize the 14-50 outlet directly A friend of mine has a Model S and when he comes to visit town he can plug directly to the outlet with his adapter and pull a full 48 amps @240V (I installed a 60Amp circuit)

2. It gives me a degree of "future proofing" my installation by allowing me to install a higher amperage EVSE in the future. Currently I use a Clipper Creek HCS-40/14-50P 7.2KW output which my Volt Loves but can also feed the visiting Leaf. etc. (I'm listed on plug share btw) that strays into town needing a charge.

Sorry if a little off topic but just wanted to put that out there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts