GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Preface: Bought a preowned 2013 Volt in February. Had just under 34K miles on it when I bought it. Now over 39K

Issue: Noticed charging problems with my Volt tonight. I came home from work, and plugged it into the 120V portable charger supplied with the car. It's my main charger at home for now, until I invest in a Clipper Creek charger. I had it on the charger for a little over an hour before I headed out for an evening at a brewery with friends. The car was on the charger for a little less than 90 minutes. When I came back out to leave, I noticed the guessometer showed 0 miles. I figured that I had maybe not gotten a good connection, or some other thing. Fast forward to meeting my friends. I live in Indianapolis, and we have an electric car sharing system here (Blue Indy). With Blue Indy, I have a membership that allows me to park in empty spaces and charge using their 240V chargers. There's a station directly across from the brewery, so I parked there and expected to get a full, or nearly full charge in the time I was there. After over 3 hours, I only had 4 mi on the guessometer.

Driving home, I noticed the CEL is illuminated. I don't have an OBDII reader, so I don't have the code.....but am I wrong in thinking my charger (not my EVSE) is failing? Or is it something with my 12V battery? Since I had charging issues at both home and a public charger, it has me scratching my head. I'm not worried about the charger....since the Voltec warranty should cover it. Also, since I'm past the mileage for scheduled service, I was wondering if the CEL is tripped after a certain mileage after you pass a service interval.

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Somethings wrong, take it to the dealer and let them look at it. If it was the 12v battery, then you'd have trouble starting (booting up) the car. An easy thing to check is your coolant levels. That's a common problem that causes a CEL. But there are several that have reported charging port connection issues which might be what you are seeing.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's my plan.....seems off. Although I just checked it on my home charger and it seems to be charging OK at the moment. Already at 6 miles of range. Still need to get it in to get the 37500 mile checkup.

Mods: I posted this in the wrong forum (Gen 2 instead of Gen 1. Feel free to move)

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Preface: Bought a preowned 2013 Volt in February. Had just under 34K miles on it when I bought it. Now over 39K

Issue: Noticed charging problems with my Volt tonight. I came home from work, and plugged it into the 120V portable charger supplied with the car. It's my main charger at home for now, until I invest in a Clipper Creek charger. I had it on the charger for a little over an hour before I headed out for an evening at a brewery with friends. The car was on the charger for a little less than 90 minutes. When I came back out to leave, I noticed the guessometer showed 0 miles. I figured that I had maybe not gotten a good connection, or some other thing. Fast forward to meeting my friends. I live in Indianapolis, and we have an electric car sharing system here (Blue Indy). With Blue Indy, I have a membership that allows me to park in empty spaces and charge using their 240V chargers. There's a station directly across from the brewery, so I parked there and expected to get a full, or nearly full charge in the time I was there. After over 3 hours, I only had 4 mi on the guessometer.

Driving home, I noticed the CEL is illuminated. I don't have an OBDII reader, so I don't have the code.....but am I wrong in thinking my charger (not my EVSE) is failing? Or is it something with my 12V battery? Since I had charging issues at both home and a public charger, it has me scratching my head. I'm not worried about the charger....since the Voltec warranty should cover it. Also, since I'm past the mileage for scheduled service, I was wondering if the CEL is tripped after a certain mileage after you pass a service interval.
There's no CEL for going past the service interval. Given you just bought the car in Feb, and your low miles, I'm not sure what service you think you're lacking as basically it's just a tire rotation and a series of "inspections and checks" with oil changes every 2-years or when the oil life indicator goes to <20%. The Volt typically has some of the lowest required maintenance of all plug-ins.

As far as your charging problem, don't worry. It will almost certainly be warranty. Depending on the actual DTC that's triggered (were you getting an "Unable to Charge" message by chance?) most likely a problem with the charge receptacle, which may need to be replaced. Quite common especially it seams if it sat for a long period on a dealer lot.

Don't sweat it too much, get thee to a dealer.
Welcome to gm-volt.com
WOT

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks WOT. An update....I let it charge at home overnight, and it charged normally. I'm wondering if I didn't have the EVSE fully engaged in the port at home yesterday. As for the public charger, that may have been an issue with their charger. It's only the second time I've used one of them. Regardless, the CEL is still on. Taking it in tomorrow morning to get that checked.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Although I don't think that this is the source of your charging problem that you have described, I offer this advice to you since you are a (relatively) new Volt owner: inspect your wall outlet, making sure that the wire termination is under the side screws and not "stabbed" into the back of the outlet. The latter termination has been known to eventually heat up to the point of charring the outlet due to high resistance inherent in that type of termination. It can't handle high current for long hours at a time. Also, it's desirable to have the outlet be the only outlet on the circuit (not shared with a bathroom outlet, etc.). And, if more that one outlet is on the circuit, the termination of the other outlets should be such that the current to your outlet does not daisy chain through those other outlets.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Since it charged successfully I would skip the dealer, at least for a week or so. I have had my charge get interrupted twice during the night over the past year and the CEL comes on. But the light will go away after a few successful charges.

·
Registered
5,410 Posts

If you have Onstar you can call them for the codes

·
Registered
13,556 Posts
Since it charged successfully I would skip the dealer, at least for a week or so. I have had my charge get interrupted twice during the night over the past year and the CEL comes on. But the light will go away after a few successful charges.
Same thing happened to me once. a glitch in the matrix. But if the car is under any warranty. Take it in.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Took it into the dealer today. The code displayed was P1EE6. Apparently they needed to reprogram the Hybrid Powertrain Control Module. Luckily no major problem....I was in an out in a little over an hour.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts