GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a volt and have had it in the shop three times in seven weeks[ 680 miles now] because of problems with the charging port[ or so they say- they have replaced it twice.]
At this point I suspect a parts sabotage by some oil company or other, to discourage people from buying volts.. The car will charge a couple of times ,then it will stop charging. Anyone else seen this? Pretty soon I can invoke the lemon law. Otherwise it is a really nice little car that drives beautifully and I have no complaints about chevy service.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
First guess would be a problem with the charge cord or voltage on the line rather than the charger (which is in the car). You haven't provided much information. Does this happen every time you plug in? At the dealer? At home? Are you charging on 120v or 240v? Is there anything else running on the same line as the outlet you're charging from? Do you get any lights on the charge cord and, if so, which ones? All these things matter.

What the service department should do is plug the car in and see what happens. If it in fact doesn't charge then finding the problem should be simple. If it charges without a problem then the problem is on your end and they're wasting your time and their time fixing something which isn't broken. At some point you have to look at probabilities. The failure rate on the charger, when new, is extremely low. A whole lot lower than the failure rate of home wiring and outlets.

My guess is that the service people are guessing. But that's just a guess. :)

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I with DonC on this one. It is unlikely that it is the car itself.

Did the dealer try to charge it before 'fixing' it?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Don is correct, more likely a supply side problem than the evse or the car.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Has the dealer checked the coolant levels? The high voltage battery will not charge if the coolant is low. The high voltage battery has a dedicated coolant loop for thermal management of the battery system. You would see a warning/information displayed on the driver information centre about this if so. Unlikely, but a possibility.

Try charging the car elsewhere. Another circuit, or another location.

Consider having the electrical supply circuit checked. Often this is the cause of many issues as has been pointed out by the replies above.

·
Administrator
20,643 Posts
What error codes(if any) did OnStar give you when you called them? What lights where showing on the EVSE? What lights where showing on the car? Did the car dash have any messages or a CEL?

3,606 Posts
Originally Posted by Ria 1980I just bought a volt and have had it in the shop three times in seven weeks[ 680 miles now] because of problems with the charging port[ or so they say- they have replaced it twice.]
At this point I suspect a parts sabotage by some oil company or other, to discourage people from buying volts.. The car will charge a couple of times ,then it will stop charging. Anyone else seen this? Pretty soon I can invoke the lemon law. Otherwise it is a really nice little car that drives beautifully and I have no complaints about chevy service.
Good Afternoon Ria 1980,

Congratulations on your new Volt! I'm terribly sorry you're running into charging trouble. I understand how frustrating numerous trips to the dealership can be. I'd like to ensure your Volt Advisor is involved with the repairs of your vehicle. Would you mind providing me your VIN, contact information and servicing dealership in a private message?

Katie O.
Chevrolet Customer Care

·
Registered
1,620 Posts
Ria, I can assure you that what you are experiencing isn't normal and with your Volt advisor's help they will get to the bottom of it in short order.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expect ion the same result. Looks like the tech is just that.

·
Registered
4,384 Posts
Good answers guys. I'm impressed. And thanks Katie O. for paying attention. That's impressive too.

·
Registered
13,942 Posts
I've had my volt not charge a couple times, but each of these incidents were attributed to the idiot (me) who forgot to plug in the car the night before.

Like others have stated, we need more details.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts