GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently got a 2017 Volt, last Saturday I went to car wash. The automated brushes actually popped my charging door and I was freaking out as this was the soap cycle. Long story short, it's working ok but was wondering if a cap is available to avoid this in future? All my searches just lead to door cover replacements.

·
Registered
874 Posts
I recently got a 2017 Volt, last Saturday I went to car wash. The automated brushes actually popped my charging door and I was freaking out as this was the soap cycle. Long story short, it's working ok but was wondering if a cap is available to avoid this in future? All my searches just lead to door cover replacements.
I don't think there's room for a cap in there. I would avoid a car wash that puts that much pressure on the charge door...I can't imagine what that's doing to your paint. I go through an automatic car wash at least once a week and I've never had my charge door pop open from the brushes.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
It's happened to me, more than once, and with the gas door too. Mine was due to the blast from the air dryer that lifts the doors and pops out the insert. Now I always check when I get out. I spoke to the attendant once and he says he has a whole collection of GM doors, in all colours.

·
Administrator
21,026 Posts
There are no "caps". What you describe seems like an episode of "Extreme Car Wash". Seek out another car wash and tell the current one why you are switching. Or, hand wash.

·
Registered
926 Posts
Maybe switch to a manual bay car wash? Same result as auto, just with more wet clothes and some elbow grease (skip the bubble brush).

·
Registered
39 Posts
I handwash BOTH our cars (no...no Volt yet.."working on it ;) ), so this isn't an issue. I also have a powerful leaf blower to dry them off too. It gets the residual water out from the molding, light housings, etc. And it is ONLY used for that, and that purpose only. We live in a new community that's going up...lots of dust, etc...so I only wash them on the weekends, when no trucks and activity going on. Hand drying with all that dust is a DEFINITE VERBOTEN !!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts