1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Title: Charging Is Our Priority
The Tesla Team April 24, 2017 <-- today
Link: https://www.tesla.com/blog/charging-our-priority

As Tesla prepares for our first mass-market vehicle and continues to increase our Model S and Model X fleet, we’re making charging an even greater priority. It is extremely important to us and our mission that charging is convenient, abundant, and reliable for all owners, current and future. In 2017, we’ll be doubling the Tesla charging network, expanding existing sites so drivers never wait to charge, and broadening our charging locations within city centers.
<snip>
We started 2017 with over 5,000 Superchargers globally and by the end of this year, Tesla will double that number to total more than 10,000 Superchargers and 15,000 Destination Charging connectors around the world. In North America, we’ll increase the number of Superchargers by 150 percent, and in California alone we’ll add more than 1,000 Superchargers. We’re moving full speed on site selection and many sites will soon enter construction to open in advance of the summer travel season.

Toward that goal, Tesla will build larger sites along our busiest travel routes that will accommodate several dozen Teslas Supercharging simultaneously. In addition, many sites will be built further off the highway to allow local Tesla drivers to charge quickly when needed, with the goal of making charging ubiquitous in urban centers.

·
Super Moderator
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
There are seven Model S and one Roadster here, but no Superchargers nor service points. These cars have to use Level 2 EVSE stations as seen at PlugShare using the adapter.

I found some news about several Chevy Volt here, too:
http://www.benitezautopr.com/inventario/?MARCA=Chevrolet&ANO=2017&page=1&MODELO=Volt

I will try to visit that dealer soon and confirm if they are really here. I know them because I bought my 1995 Buick Regal at this dealer in December 1994.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Even if you're a Tesla hater you'd have to cheer for this as it helps with EV adoption...Fingers crossed that the over 350KW+ chargers are part of the equation..."Never wait to charge" is an impossible claim, yet if every SC became 350KW+, it certainly could make that claim 99% of the time with some exceptions being peak times on holidays...

There are seven Model S and one Roadster here, but no Superchargers nor service points. These cars have to use Level 2 EVSE stations as seen at PlugShare using the adapter.

I found some news about several Chevy Volt here, too:
http://www.benitezautopr.com/inventario/?MARCA=Chevrolet&ANO=2017&page=1&MODELO=Volt

I will try to visit that dealer soon and confirm if they are really here. I know them because I bought my 1995 Buick Regal at this dealer in December 1994.
I believe even a S40 has enough range to get from one side of your island to another...But if I somehow ship a Tesla to an island that doesn't sell Tesla's, am I entitled to Tesla building a service center and supercharger?

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

·
Registered
679 Posts
Tesla is to be commended for their supercharging network.

I drive a gen2 Volt. Sometime today or tommorrow I will cross 1000 lifetime MPG on myvolt and voltstat's having driven some 3500 miles since I bought the car 4 months ago, while burning 3.5 gallons of gas. Actually, that includes 0.25 gallons burned at the dealership before I purchased the Volt.

And then in a few week's we'll burn 16-17 gallons of gas driving some 800-850 miles round trip to South Padre Island while crossing an EV desert that even a Tesla wouldn't dare attempt ... Woops! It was an uncrossable EV desert but sometime in the last year, Tesla added two new superchargers covering that drive.

I wouldn't try this drive in a Bolt just yet, all though there will eventually be CSS chargers too. Part of my rational for driving a Volt is that there are quite a few places we go that just aren't very EV friendly. But I guess that's changing...

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
And then in a few week's we'll burn 16-17 gallons of gas driving some 800-850 miles round trip to South Padre Island while crossing an EV desert that even a Tesla wouldn't dare attempt ... Woops! It was an uncrossable EV desert but sometime in the last year, Tesla added two new superchargers covering that drive. .
Yeah, since the SpaceX launch site is coming online, soon there's going to be enough Superchargers to get from MacGregor to Boca Chica. If your itinerary can handle it, drive a few miles south and check out the progress. That's where the Mars missions will be launched from, soon.

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
Even if you're a Tesla hater you'd have to cheer for this as it helps with EV adoption...Fingers crossed that the over 350KW+ chargers are part of the equation..."Never wait to charge" is an impossible claim, yet if every SC became 350KW+, it certainly could make that claim 99% of the time with some exceptions being peak times on holidays...?
They want a no wait system, then require cars to be occupied during charging at peak times. unless they can/will refit older cars there are going to be a lot of disappointed owners with the slower charge rate

·
Super Moderator
6,418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They want a no wait system, then require cars to be occupied during charging at peak times. unless they can/will refit older cars there are going to be a lot of disappointed owners with the slower charge rate
Please keep in mind that when traveling the built in Nav called 'Trip Planner' tells you how long you will need to charge to get to the next SuperCharger plus a ~12-15%. Often on my trips this is only from 15-30 minutes. That's not a lot of wait if you consider 8+ stalls and the random times each of those started and will cycle out. Other EVs (Curr/Future LEAF, Bolt, etc) using CCS or chademo can charge 80% in 30 minutes BUT if they only have 1 or 2 stalls at each location this is a WAY different experience. The number of stalls at each location is a major and KEY advantage from my perspective. I'm sure CCS/chademo locations will eventually get built with more than 1 or 2 stalls.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
If we current owners are fine with 120-135kW charging now, we'll be fine when the 350kW+ charging is released on other vehicles. Sure, you're going to be a little envious, but there's not going to be some mass uprising. Considering the Model S and Model X platforms are going to be around for a while, what's to stop Tesla from offering a pack upgrade that has the integrated Supercharger V3 capability?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Elon confirmed it was a "non-German, European car company" sometime last year.
Speculation was it was Volvo...

If we current owners are fine with 120-135kW charging now, we'll be fine when the 350kW+ charging is released on other vehicles. Sure, you're going to be a little envious, but there's not going to be some mass uprising. Considering the Model S and Model X platforms are going to be around for a while, what's to stop Tesla from offering a pack upgrade that has the integrated Supercharger V3 capability?
AP1 to AP2, major wiring would need to be changed all around the entire vehicle and since Tesla does all sort of tweaks from time to time, there may be no way to offer a AP2 retrofit affordably...A faster supercharger retrofit would be far easier plus there are benefits for Tesla to add since it cuts down on SC time charging...

But the wild card is cost, could end up paying a kWh premium for the faster speed...It's also theorized that privately owned autonomous vehicles will be allow at charging sites well before public roads...

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
As I get ready for the last leg of my trip from Mississippi to Kentucky, to Pennsylvania, to New Hampshire, to Michigan, to Arkansas, and back to Mississippi (all in a rented Mustang convertible) I realize that 300 miles of driving and then a 15 min break to stretch the legs, use the restroom and purchase a snack could easily be converted into 300 miles of driving and an hour break for charging... So, an EV with 400 miles of range (125 kWh battery, 320 miles on 80% charge) capable of getting that 80% charge in one hour (around 100 kWh in an hour, so have to AVERAGE 100 KW charging... must be much higher than that peak I assume) would be a completely reasonable car to have for me as my only vehicle... no need for a gasoline backup car.

Keith

PS: Mustang convertible rental was birthday present for Fiancee, my Volt would have made the trip just fine :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts