GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

New to the forum and wondering if anybody has any information regarding GM's plans for data access and integration with the Volt.

I could see the benefit of an aftermarket device in the form of a "intelligent" plug that would integrate with your home network or smart grid installation.

This would allow you to participate in time-of-use programs from your energy company (i.e. charge when it's cheap). Additionally, if a data interface were provided you could monitor charge state remotely and enable other features to help you manage and optimize your electric vehicle use.

Could be a great market for a 3rd party company, but GM may also have their own designs on this space (e.g. integration thru OnStar).

Any information or links are appreciated.

Regards,
-jmh

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
You're right.
There will probably be some entrepreneurial opportunities there. I highly doubt there will be any On-Star integration on the Volt and I wouldn't expect expect to see much more than a choice between "immediate" charging vs. some sort of real-time scheduling interface with timing presets to be programmed by the driver.

It would be great to have something that could connect in real-time to current utility demand (and costs) and respond to that I guess. Might be overkill though. Would depend if it could be proven to save $$ over a basic timer.

If somebody was going to develop something it should be something that could easily interface with the vehicle's CAN bus, perhaps via the J1850 diagnostic connector under the dash? (much like the various CAN based scan gages units do) The trick would be getting GM to provide to the intimate details neccessary to access the various hybrid control modules. (other than those modules whose details must be "open book" in order to comply with OBDII )
WopOnTour

·
Registered
200 Posts
Nothing fancy for the big win

One wouldn't require a fancy plug to take advantage of peak/off-peak metering. Just a reliable timer that would carry the amperage required for the charging circuit, so unless overridden it's only charging during your off-peak hours.

KISS principle.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts