GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's an idea or suggestion for a future Volt upgrade: How about this 5th Mode?: this Mode would be entitled "Hold & Charge", or something like that. This mode would allow the ICE to run more actively resulting in increasing the charge on the battery all the way up to a full charge. For example, while driving down a long grade, instead of the engine turning off it would continue to run at perhaps something like 3,000 rpm to charge the battery. Same at a stop. I wonder if anyone else has ever thought of this?? I don't see a downside to this, 'tho perhaps there is.

·
Registered
499 Posts
why? What are you gaining? the battery is probably already charging down a long grade.

·
Registered
3,424 Posts
Second why?, Charging the battery from the ICE is the least efficient and most costly method possible. When your moving and using the ICE, you don't have the charge/discharge loss of the battery, the energy goes right to the motor ( well most of it )

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Instead of a 5th mode, replace 'mountain' with 'generator-on'. I run on mountain mode (or hold if I rememeber) sometimes when I have an unexpected trip that uses all my smooth, quiet electrical energy. I like driving electric in town. When going 70+ mph, you can't really hear the generator.

Proposed modes:
Touring (default)
Sport (with a setting to make it the default rather than Touring)
Generator-on (charges to upper SOC and keeps it there)
Hold (keeps battery at current SOC)

User interface could be redesigned so that Normal/Touring/Sport is on one button and Off/Generator/Hold on another. In this way, you could have Sport plus other modes active simultaneously.

What I'd like as well is a remote-start mode that charges the battery when parked.

Believe it or not, I did not get a Volt for the gas savings.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I would like the idea of mode like this for a long trips. I'm so used to have no engine noise, that on long trips when the engine has to rev up when on the entrance ramp to the highway or when going up a hill, etc. it kind of bothers me. It would be nice if the engine can just stay at the same speed it uses for ERDTT and build some extra charge so it doesn't have to rev up for a normal road trip.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FWIW, My battery never charges on Hold, but according to the miles left it will discharge 1 or 2 miles during a short trip. Like another reply I didn't purchase my Volt to save gas, 'tho this is a great Volt design concept. The main reason for my 5th Mode suggestion is for convenience for whatever reason, including the need for the ICE to rev high on an incline, which is just a little annoying.

·
Registered
387 Posts
I propose that the 5th mode be launch control to push both motors to the max adding HP from the ICE to send all the HP the 3 can muster to the wheels when you punch it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts