GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone.
I am looking to add a BMW i3 to our '13 Volt garage. I am currently using 220v 'dryer-style' outlet with a brand new EVSE and an adapter. The Volt charges fine on L2, no issues. Can I do the same with the i3 using this Voltec charger on 220v, for convenience's sake? Has anyone used the Volt charger on the i3?
Thanks, - David

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
Any L2 should be able to charge any current EV. They all use the same SAE J1772 standard connector. The issue may be charge rate if you discharge fully every day. What rating is your L2?

·
Registered
1,003 Posts
Your adapted L1 / L2 charger is limited to 12 amps, so supplies just shy of 3 KW of power, almost the max that the 1st gen Volt can accept... but the i3 is capable of charging at 7.7KW, so the i3 would charge 2.5 times as fast on an aftermarket L2 charger than it would on the one you have now. The i3's 21KwH battery has a usable capacity of 19 KwH, so even though the EVSE you have would work, it would take 6.5 to 7 hours to go from empty to full. With an aftermarket L2 that can supply everything the I3 can accept that time would be cut to 2.5 hours.

Keith

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
Right, the 'adapted' EVSE you have puts out a pilot signal to the car's on-board-charger that says " 3kW is all I'm good for. Please limit yourself to that". That's the J1772 protocol.

If you can afford an i3, you can afford to upgrade to a 7.7kW rated EVSE, right?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Right, the 'adapted' EVSE you have puts out a pilot signal to the car's on-board-charger that says " 3kW is all I'm good for. Please limit yourself to that". That's the J1772 protocol.

If you can afford an i3, you can afford to upgrade to a 7.7kW rated EVSE, right?
Sure, I can afford it, especially at the lease rates being offered right now.

Thanks everyone. Great info.

·
Registered
1,340 Posts

The pilot signal actually just advertises how many amps the EVSE is able to supply, regardless of the voltage. Following protocol, the car cannot go above that amperage rating.

As for charging other cars with the adapted Volt EVSE, it worked fine on my Tesla. If it can handle the Gen2's short handshake timeout, it will work with any J1772 standard vehicle.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As for charging other cars with the adapted Volt EVSE, it worked fine on my Tesla. If it can handle the Gen2's short handshake timeout, it will work with any J1772 standard vehicle.
Thanks Chris, that is what I was wondering. Good to know. Due to my garage's space restrictions and breaker-box placement, I am imagining various scenarios of charging a Volt and i3.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
I am in Texas, so not available here. :-(
That shouldn't stop you. But I understand the appeal of the i3 !
There are lots of Spark EV's outside of their 3 release states.
Quite a few in Texas, along with my X's.:eek:

Mine now lives in KC, where I haven't spent a dime powering it for +15k miles!

·
Registered
2,634 Posts
I personally wouldn't buy a Spark EV outside of release states due to service considerations.

To OP, I would prioritize charging the i3, you can also charge the Volt on 120 V easily, so charge Volt using i3 120 V EVSE and i3 using Volt's 240 V EVSE :)

·
Registered
907 Posts
You didn't actually say which "brand new EVSE and an adapter" you have. If it's not the Volt gen 2 L1 and "adapter", maybe you already have an EVSE that can do 32A ? (enough for i3)

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
You didn't actually say which "brand new EVSE and an adapter" you have. If it's not the Volt gen 2 L1 and "adapter", maybe you already have an EVSE that can do 32A ? (enough for i3)
He has a brand new Volt EVSE (2nd Gen) and using the 240V L2 adapter for it (see sig).

1 - 14 of 14 Posts