GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I suck at math, I need some help with this.

Im going to be asking my work if I can pay a monthly fee to use a 110v outlet and use my own EVSE. I already have an outlet outside my office right next to where I park.

So here are the numbers...

I have a '13 Gen1. I need about 5 kwh worth of charge for me to make it back home without using any gas.
We pay .12 per KWH for our service
I am in my office at the most 18 days a month.

So this is what I'm coming up with...

Need 5kwh per day
Cost of power is $0.12 cents per KWH
5kw x $0.12 = $0.60 cents per day
Average working days a month = 18

18 Working days x $0.60 a day = $10.81 per month

Im supprised I cant find an online calculator to give me what I want? Maybe im searching wrong. Thanks.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I suck at math, I need some help with this.

Im going to be asking my work if I can pay a monthly fee to use a 110v outlet and use my own EVSE. I already have an outlet outside my office right next to where I park.

So here are the numbers...

I have a '13 Gen1. I need about 5 kwh worth of charge for me to make it back home without using any gas.
We pay .12 per KWH for our service
I am in my office at the most 18 days a month.

So this is what I'm coming up with...

Need 5kwh per day
Cost of power is $0.12 cents per KWH
5kw x $0.12 = $0.60 cents per day
Average working days a month = 18

18 Working days x $0.60 a day = $10.81 per month

Im supprised I cant find an online calculator to give me what I want? Maybe im searching wrong. Thanks.
Mathematically it makes sense to me. If you want to get technical, though, there is a loss involved in charging. For example, for me to put 7 KWH in my '13 Volt, according to the charger, I actually delivered 8.06 KWH in total. Of course, this number can vary if the car runs battery temperature functions such as the A/C or heater.

If it were me, I'd approach the situation by saying it will cost approximately $10/month in electricity for the car and see what the boss says. You can always get more technical if they are uncertain, but depending on the size of the company, this amount of electricity is rather small, akin to several employees leaving their computers on all night long and weekend instead of shutting down.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mathematically it makes sense to me. If you want to get technical, though, there is a loss involved in charging. For example, for me to put 7 KWH in my '13 Volt, according to the charger, I actually delivered 8.06 KWH in total. Of course, this number can vary if the car runs battery temperature functions such as the A/C or heater.

If it were me, I'd approach the situation by saying it will cost approximately $10/month in electricity for the car and see what the boss says. You can always get more technical if they are uncertain, but depending on the size of the company, this amount of electricity is rather small, akin to several employees leaving their computers on all night long and weekend instead of shutting down.
Thanks for the reply. I was shooting for the flate rate of $10 a month also. Espicially since I have lots of vacation/off time a year.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I was shooting for the flate rate of $10 a month also. Espicially since I have lots of vacation/off time a year.
Yeah. Depending on the situation, they might let you charge for free on their dime. It's not like they have to install anything or invest any money for you to use the plug, and I know places that justify the cost of electricity towards having a green image. All depends how you sell it and what the boss thinks. YMMV.

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
You did not say how many hours per day you plan to charge but sticking the requirement for 5kW that will require 6kW of power from the outlet as the charging losses at Level 1 (120V) are ~ 17%. 6kWh x $0.12/kWh is $0.72 per day or $12.96 per 18 work days per month. You might want to offer to pay $12/month for charging at work.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
I would include the 15% inefficiency factor. It won't cost you much, and you will never have anyone analyzing this later and accusing you of getting a partial free ride. You can add that and then subtract something for the amount of vacation and sick days you are likely to take and it might come out about even anyway. But at least the overhead factor will be in there, so never any question about that. There will always be some wise guy who will say "did you factor in xxx?" and then by implication, you are basically in the same place you would be if you paid nothing. I even had some guy try to to make me look like a free rider based just on the federal tax credit issue.

Frankly, this is in the realm of the amount of free coffee many workers might drink at work, or free use of the photocopy machine or whatever, so it is petty to charge you for it. But you can't sell that opinion because a lot of people are really touchy about free charging for some reason. It is smarter and easier in the long run to just pay your full share and not have to deal with the politics of the situation.

Another thing to consider is how are you going to cap your charging at 5 kWh per day? That may be how much you need to get home, but the car isn't going to stop charging until it is full or you manually stop the charge. What you should do is leave home in the morning with a full charge, then the amount you burn getting to work is the exact amount that you will recharge while at work. That is your starting number for your calculation. And by the way, that number will increase a lot during cold weather.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Commercial rates are usually cheaper than residential.

Can't post link but eia dot gov has average price of electricity for residential and commercial.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
As @jcanoe and @Barry suggest, you need to round up for charging inefficiency and occasionally (or often) charging more than 5 kWh. I suggest you round your offer up to $15.

I really like this idea of rounding up to $15. That is a great suggestion. Im glad this got brought up. Thanks to all!

·
Registered
4,767 Posts
I really like this idea of rounding up to $15. That is a great suggestion. Im glad this got brought up. Thanks to all!
You can always just bring in donuts once or twice a month.

·
Registered
64 Posts
If your company leases space in the building it's possible that they're not paying (directly) for the electricity anyway. In that case you might have to get permission from the building owners but either way it's good to have the numbers so they know it's not costing them $1000s per month.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have previously suggest that an employee could find out what cause the office/company likes to support and donate said amount in the name of the company once a year. The company should also let everyone else know through official channels so there is no misunderstandings amongst other employees. This would also eliminate internal billing issues/hassles.

·
Registered
212 Posts
JagCrp: As you don't have your location listed, I might be way off.
In colder climates like Canada, we have car plugs and the usual charge for use is between $10 & $20 a month. Some of those plugs are cycled on/off 1 hour at a time as ICE can be kept warm for an hour by heating for an hour. So, here in Manitoba, $15 a month would do it. More in Ontario I guess. Heck, even $25 a month would probably a great saving in cost if using gas. I know it would be in Canada.
As others have said, make it a great deal for the employer and no one can complain. Will probably take you a bit more than 5 hours @ 8 Amps to get the 5 KwH charge you need.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have previously suggest that an employee could find out what cause the office/company likes to support and donate said amount in the name of the company once a year. The company should also let everyone else know through official channels so there is no misunderstandings amongst other employees. This would also eliminate internal billing issues/hassles.
My work/agency has a board that this will needing to be approved by. Everyone will be made aware that this will be a new policy.

JagCrp: As you don't have your location listed, I might be way off.
In colder climates like Canada, we have car plugs and the usual charge for use is between $10 & $20 a month. Some of those plugs are cycled on/off 1 hour at a time as ICE can be kept warm for an hour by heating for an hour. So, here in Manitoba, $15 a month would do it. More in Ontario I guess. Heck, even $25 a month would probably a great saving in cost if using gas. I know it would be in Canada.
As others have said, make it a great deal for the employer and no one can complain. Will probably take you a bit more than 5 hours @ 8 Amps to get the 5 KwH charge you need.
Oregon, we have a pretty easy climage here for the most part.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
West Coaster to Prairie people...."I thought all your cars where plug in hybrids....they all have cords hanging out of them." ;)

·
Registered
514 Posts
A couple of thoughts before you speak with the powers that be at work

If the 12 cents per Kwh is your local residential rate, the rate your company is paying might be much more. Many businesses pay based on a demand schedule which uses a peak meter - They might actually be paying double or triple what the local residential users are paying

You only need 5 Kwh assuming you leave home with a full battery each and every morning, but your boss has no way of knowing for sure if that's actually how you'll be using his electricity - If he lets you charge for 60 cents per day, what's to say you might do ALL your charging there, since it would be cheaper for you than charging at home? You and I know you would never do such a thing, but he might look at it with a more skeptical eye. It might help him make up his mind in your favor if you calculated the most you could ever use - Say 15 Kw per day and base your figures on that number. Even if you paid $50 per month, it would be better for you than buying gas . . . . right?

Don

·
Registered
212 Posts
West Coaster to Prairie people...."I thought all your cars where plug in hybrids....they all have cords hanging out of them." ;)
Yes, but very small batteries! We even know how to drive in snow!

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
just hang a Kill-a-watt meter on via a pig-tail to the 120 Volt socket and show them the cost.

At 9 cents per kwh I was using about $5 a month

-----------
Pig-tail keeps the device off the socket for better cooling

·
Registered
146 Posts
just hang a Kill-a-watt meter on via a pig-tail to the 120 Volt socket and show them the cost.

At 9 cents per kwh I was using about $5 a month

-----------
Pig-tail keeps the device off the socket for better cooling
That's a really good idea. They could see exactly how much power you use and bill you more precisely. Do they make a weatherproof version? My quick google skills couldn't find anything. May be a concern come colder, wetter weather.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts