GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Greetings from formerly snowy, now soggy Nebraska

I have a 2012 Volt w/ 121k miles on it and am going through another odd spell with it. A couple of days ago I came out from work to find the car only had 13 miles of range (vs roughly 25 like normal) and the charge light was completely off. Hmm

Drove it home and throughout the drive home the Battery Cold Plug In To Warm warning was displayed and I couldn't clear it which was very odd. It comes up from time to time as I'm driving regardless of the temperature outside, but I can always clear it.

So I got home, plugged it in (standard 110v and standard charging cord) and 45 minutes later get a text saying that the charging had been interrupted. Unplugged it, plugged it back in and again it charged for about 30 minutes or so and stopped displaying an orange light. Repeated and checked it before going to bed and ditto.

Hopped in the next morning and it had 8 miles of range. Got to work and it repeated their too. Sigh.

Instead of running back and forth I just let it sit out in the parking lot. Went to leave for work and it wouldn't start. I had this happen about 18 months ago so went through the leave the door open for a minute routine and got it to start with all of 4 miles of range.

It repeated the same thing this morning when I went to leave. My guess is that the charging cable has gone south as it's been replaced once before. The funny thing is I had just ordered a level 2 charger the day before all this had happened so we'll soon find out if my premise holds.

Has anyone else run into this? Really glad I have a ICE tucked under the hood or I'd be driving my 2000 Expedition winter beater to the tune of 12 mpg for my 50 mile daily commute.

·
Administrator
20,023 Posts
Try a public charger to eliminate or confirm an issue with you EVSE.

·
Registered
2013 Volt
54 Posts
Is your engine light on? I'm guessing there is a good chance one or more of your battery pack temperature sensors are failing. There might be a pending code you could see that hasn't tripped the MIL yet.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts