GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am owner of 2012 Volt. I bought it two weeks ago. I live in Europe, small country Lithuania and here we don`t have much charging points. For next month I will stay In a flat where is no possibility to plug in my Volt, so most of the time I am running on gas. After one week of such use CHECK ENGINE light came on. Next week I will go to service to check what codes are. Does anyone had such problem? Is there any time limits of running on gas? Maybe from time to time I must plug it. Can I use my Volt for next month only on gas? Only in November I am moving to my house and then I can plug in my Volt every day.

·
Registered
488 Posts
The Volt should run fine on gas for any length of time. The first thing to check anytime a check engine light comes on is the gas cap. Open the gasoline filler door and make sure the cap is tight and sealing correct.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
You may want to buy an OPD reader so that you can read the codes out. I'm using a Bluedriver which is a Bluetooth OPD reader.

The Volt doesn't have to be charged, you can use it as a hybrid however it nicer on electricity. You can charge the battery up a bit using Mountain Mode. After it's charged up to the Mountain Mode limit (don't know what it is for a 2012, on the 2017 it's only about 10 miles) you can switch to Normal mode and you'll see what it's like to drive it in electric.

·
Registered
307 Posts
As long as the check engine light does not flash, you should be fine to drive it. If the light starts to flash, stop driving it or you can cause damage.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts