GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,
I set up my Volt via the OnStar website to only charge on off-peak hours. However, I left my house this morning and plugged it into the charging station at my work and looked at the app to determine when a full charge would be complete and it's saying 7pm.

I thought there was an indicator of some kind that the Volt would automatically start charging if you left home, and would only follow the "Charge according to Rate" rule when you were home? I've looked at my account and my home address is set up, so you would think that the navigation system would determine that I'm no longer at home?

Also, I've looked to see where I can enable this feature (to start charging immediately after I leave home) but can't seem to figure it out. Any ideas?

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
What Model Year? You can always just plug and unplug twice to start charging immediately or temporarily set the charge to "immediate". Again depends on the MY but your manual should explain how this works.

·
Registered
524 Posts
I wouldn't trust Onstar with the settings.
On the car Home screen select Settings, Vehicle, Energy, Location Based Charging. Set up the home location. Page 126, 127 in manual.
Works with all '17 Volts. Doesn't require Nav.
When it is set up go to Onstar and confirm Onstar is not over-riding the car settings.

·
Registered
968 Posts
Hey all,
I set up my Volt via the OnStar website to only charge on off-peak hours. However, I left my house this morning and plugged it into the charging station at my work and looked at the app to determine when a full charge would be complete and it's saying 7pm.

I thought there was an indicator of some kind that the Volt would automatically start charging if you left home, and would only follow the "Charge according to Rate" rule when you were home? I've looked at my account and my home address is set up, so you would think that the navigation system would determine that I'm no longer at home?

Also, I've looked to see where I can enable this feature (to start charging immediately after I leave home) but can't seem to figure it out. Any ideas?

Thanks!
When you signed into the OnStar app did you refresh the app by touching the screen and dragging down?

There has been a few times when I've signed in and been fooled initially by looking at old data from the last time I signed in and sit there for a few seconds and think why am I only at XX%, only to realize that I forgot to refresh the app.

At work, do you have L2 charger (240v)or are you using the stock charger. If stock charger, you could try 12 amp charging to decrease your charge time assuming the outlet can handle the 12 amp.

Also, when you plug in at work you should only get one chirp when plugging in, which identifies that it will charge immediately. Double chirp indicates delay in charging. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When you signed into the OnStar app did you refresh the app by touching the screen and dragging down?

There has been a few times when I've signed in and been fooled initially by looking at old data from the last time I signed in and sit there for a few seconds and think why am I only at XX%, only to realize that I forgot to refresh the app.

At work, do you have L2 charger (240v)or are you using the stock charger. If stock charger, you could try 12 amp charging to decrease your charge time assuming the outlet can handle the 12 amp.

Also, when you plug in at work you should only get one chirp when plugging in, which identifies that it will charge immediately. Double chirp indicates delay in charging. Hope that helps.
Yes, I'm always refreshing, so that's not the issue.

That's interesting about the "chirp" sound--I have never heard that when plugging in my Volt. I think I may have heard that once at home a few days ago, when I charged at home, but not every time.

I have a 2017 model, just got it 2 weeks ago, so still learning all the ins and outs. My work has a 240v free public charger, so it's very convenient.

·
Registered
29 Posts
there is a setting in the vehicle menu to enable location based charging. You need to change the setting in the car on the screen, I think under the "Vehicle" menu

·
Registered
968 Posts
I wouldn't trust Onstar with the settings.
On the car Home screen select Settings, Vehicle, Energy, Location Based Charging. Set up the home location. Page 126, 127 in manual.
Works with all '17 Volts. Doesn't require Nav.
When it is set up go to Onstar and confirm Onstar is not over-riding the car settings.
^^^^ solid info.

Anywhere but your 'home location' should start charging immediatley. As A.P. said, set it up in the car not on the app. That could be where the problem lies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts