GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, not sure if others are having an issue with their Volt continuing to charge even after off-peak hours end. Here is what I am doing, appreciate any feedback/guidance:

- I have programmed off-peak, mid-peak and peak hours into my charging schedule
- I set my vehicle to charge only during off-peak hours, earliest charge completion possible
- I set my departure time to an arbitrary 7am
- after plugging my Volt in, it won't start charging until off peak time starts (11pm for me) but the car will continue to charge even after off peak time ends (7am for me) until the battery is full.

I can't seem to figure out a way so that the car, when plugged in, only charges during off peak times and automatically stops when off peak times end.

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
From your post, I conclude that you are charging on 120 volts and that you are trying to recharge a completely depleted battery. It takes ~10 hours to do that on 120 volts, more than the 8 hours available to you. AFRAIK, unplugging at 7 AM is your only recourse (no programming option). Installing a 240v EVSE will reduce charging time to ~4.5 hours (I bet you knew that already 8^).

·
4,851 Posts
Seems like you could either mess with the schedule so you start charging earlier (peak time before 11pm), or deal with some peak-time charging after 7am.

The car will try to only do off-peak, but after that it does want to fill the battery. Otherwise, you burn more gas which typically costs much more money than even peak-rate electricity.

Have you made sure that you're charging at the full 12A rate and not the "default safe" 8A rate? That may help you a bit too, but you'll still go a bit past 7pm.

The other option is to get a Level 2 (240V) EVSE, and be fully charged within 4 hours rather than the longer wait you're experiencing. Also, on some Volt model years, it's possible to easily convert the Level 1 (120V) EVSE that came with the car to support Level 2 charging. Electrical expertise here is required though.

·
Registered
26 Posts
My gen1 stops charging if charging isn't complete during off peak. However the gen2 seems to keep going despite selecting off peak charging only. Please specify which one you own? Agree with the rest about l2 charging and the evse capability for the gen2 evse. To get 240v you need 120v from two different phases, which gives you 240v between the two hot wires.

·
Registered
464 Posts
- I set my vehicle to charge only during off-peak hours, earliest charge completion possible

I can't seem to figure out a way so that the car, when plugged in, only charges during off peak times and automatically stops when off peak times end.
I think I have a simple answer to solve your problem... instead of setting it for earliest completion possible, try changing that to latest. You will find your Volt completing it's charge right at the end of your off peak time. Let us know how that works out.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts