GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
My wife and I just bought my 2018 Volt Premier a few weeks ago. We really like the car with a few irritants that we would like to solve. The primary one is that we thought that we could charge the Volt off of the 15 amp outdoor outlet (none dedicated circuit) next to where we park the car. The Volt offers the option of 8 or 12 amp charging so we didn’t think this would be a problem we previously had a Ford Focus electric and had no problems charging off this outlet. I set the charge rate in the car to 8 amps but the portable charger will not work, it does work off a 20 amp non dedicated circuit in my house but of course this is not in a convenient location. Electrician estimates for installing the 20 amp circuit are in the $1K - 2K range so using the existing is preferable. Any suggestions appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
6,312 Posts
Re: but the portable charger will not work

Red lights? Ground issue?

15 amps should be OK. 15a * 80% = 12a (NEC code of 80% if wiring size is large enough to handle it).
Obviously, 8 amp should be handled easily assuming you don't have heater or other big draw on that circuit!

Note: Always make sure outlet is of high quality ... and wires are wrapped around screws vs just pushed in the hole type. (limit resistance the best that can be done)

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
Yes, you don't need a 20A outlet for the evse to work. There must be another problem with the outlet. Check that it is grounded correctly.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
You stated that the 15A circuit is not a dedicated circuit. What else is plugged into this circuit? The EVSE that comes with the Volt uses a circuit board manufactured by ClipperCreek (CC.) The CC brand EVSEs are known to be very tightly regulated as regards electrical anomalies that other brands of EVSE might not detect. (For example, I have a CC EVSE that would detect a ground fault every time I used a Craftsman plug-in leaf blower. It did not matter that the EVSE was on a dedicated 50 amp 230V circuit or where the leaf blower was plugged in. The CC EVSE detected low level voltage or current across the ground connection and that was enough to shut down the EVSE. The EVSE would automatically reset itself within approx. 20 minutes. I recently purchased a battery powered leaf blower so this is no longer an issue.) You may have to start disconnecting appliances in your home until you find the offending device. It could even be a coffee maker that is causing your EVSE to register a fault. Start with any new electronic devices that you have purchased after you no longer had your Ford Focus Electric vehicle.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you're going to spend $1k or more to fix the problem, spend it on a Level 2 charging system. You won't regret it. (the ability to top off the battery during the day, especially on week-ends, is what I like best about Level 2)

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you all. I think I'll ask a friend to try their 2016 charger on my outlet and have an electrician test the circuit before i go forward with the Live 2 charging system install.

·
Registered
798 Posts
I charge with a 15 amp outlet. There is nothing else on the circuit. Rather than spending $2k for a new circuit, have the electrician check for problems like poor grounding. And if there are other outlets or devices on the circuit, get the electrician to move them to a different one. All this is likely to be MUCH cheaper than a whole new circuit and outlet.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts