GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The amazing 2014 VOLT, while being plugged in, is keeping the main battery warm , and thanks to a permanent voltmeter, I was able to confirm that during those periods of time, the 12 volt battery gets charged to 13.4 volts (outside temp. 25F). Happy and warm battery , well charged...but if the weather gets warm/normal ,no more charging. It's time to connect to a trickle agm charger ,in the case your car is going to be inactive for long periods of time.

·
Registered
2,798 Posts
The amazing 2014 VOLT, while being plugged in, is keeping the main battery warm , and thanks to a permanent voltmeter, I was able to confirm that during those periods of time, the 12 volt battery gets charged to 13.4 volts (outside temp. 25F). Happy and warm battery , well charged...but if the weather gets warm/normal ,no more charging. It's time to connect to a trickle agm charger ,in the case your car is going to be inactive for long periods of time.
No.
Starting with the 2013 model year, GM added a 12 volt battery tender module. While plugged in, it will check periodically and recharge the 12 volt battery if necessary.

·
Registered
649 Posts
My 2013 floats the 12v at 13 volts, when plugged in. Outstanding feature.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your reassurance, I have seen so many threads about the Volt only charges the 12 v.battery when charging the main battery, with many having dead batteries despite being plugged in, the only problem is your main battery will be "fully charged". Most of the experts opinion is that for long storage the main Battery should be around 10-15% SOC charged (10-15 miles left) for maximum stablity of the lithium...so the trickle charge with the car disconnected probably will be safer.

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
Thank you for your reassurance, I have seen so many threads about the Volt only charges the 12 v.battery when charging the main battery, with many having dead batteries despite being plugged in, the only problem is your main battery will be "fully charged". Most of the experts opinion is that for long storage the main Battery should be around 10-15% SOC charged (10-15 miles left) for maximum stablity of the lithium...so the trickle charge with the car disconnected probably will be safer.
If you're storing the car for months, sure. It'll be better off on jack stands too so your tires don't get flat spots. But if you're looking at jacking the car up as being too much work for however long you'll be not using the thing, you're probably ALSO fine not worrying about the state of the lithium in the battery and just leaving it plugged in.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Thank you hellsop, the question not very clearly answered is if the 12v battery is charged only when the temp. management of the main battery kicks on, or has an independent module that charges the 12v battery when need it ?.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts