GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got a Volt a few days ago. I'm having trouble with the charger, the car doesn't seem to know it's plugged in. The green light is on and the red light is off so the charger looks OK. The car is set to draw 8A. I've managed to get it to charge yesterday but today I can't. Is there a trick to enabling the charger?

BTW I have a level II coming this week but until then I'm trying to use the charger that came with the car.

·
Registered
921 Posts
I just got a Volt a few days ago. I'm having trouble with the charger, the car doesn't seem to know it's plugged in. The green light is on and the red light is off so the charger looks OK. The car is set to draw 8A. I've managed to get it to charge yesterday but today I can't. Is there a trick to enabling the charger?

BTW I have a level II coming this week but until then I'm trying to use the charger that came with the car.
Have a look through the timer menus?

·
Registered
907 Posts
What is the green light on top of the dash doing? If that is steady green, it's fully charged (gen2).

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The car is set to charge immediately and my EV range is down to 24miles so it's not fully charged.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
What do the horn and dash light do when you plug into the car? What happens if you jiggle the J1772 when it refuses to charge? Do you know anybody/anyplace where you can try another charger -- neighbor, dealer, friend, public charging station? By far the best outcome would be to find the EVSE is just bad and needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
I think I figured it out. The lock slider on top of the plug has to be pushed up. I though that it would just snap in but the slider is a switch.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I think I figured it out. The lock slider on top of the plug has to be pushed up. I though that it would just snap in put the slider is a switch.
My 2016 just snaps in. The only time you have to push on the slider is when you're unplugging it.

·
Registered
907 Posts
The "lock slider" is indeed an electrical switch also. As soon as you depress the handle lock, it signals to the car to disconnect, so yes, the plug must be fully inserted and the "lock slider" latched into proper position.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
The "lock slider" is indeed an electrical switch also. As soon as you depress the handle lock, it signals to the car to disconnect, so yes, the plug must be fully inserted and the "lock slider" latched into proper position.
Just to expand on this a bit, the idea is that you can't remove the plug without first disengaging the lock. Disengaging the lock signals the car to stop drawing power so that when you remove the plug you don't get a high current arc that could damage the plug terminals as they separate.

·
Registered
520 Posts
^^ So this makes it sound like the OP either didn't push the plug in all the way until it latched, or the latch on his plug is defective. Bottom line is that the slider is supposed to automatically latch on insertion and should only require you to press in for removal.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts