GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The chargers at the garage across from my office have gotten very crowded during the last three months. We've needed to find ways to share the chargers between us. So we revived the Courtesy Charging Protocol that was used by the Rav4 and EV1 folks back during the first wave of electric vehicles.

In doing this, we created updated dashboard cards that are used to request a charge or to be clear about giving permission for someone to unplug our car. This has worked out really well, allowing more people to take advantage of the chargers.

The card is used by marking with a paper clip your car's signal for full battery, and marking with another clip a time of day that is OK to unplug after.

The first card is for both LEAF and Volt owners.

The other two cards are Volt specific. This card is used to request a charge. It includes instructions for how to be sure that charging has started, and how to switch the car from delayed charge to immediate charge. And this card is used to give permission to unplug. It shows only the Volt's light signals, not the LEAF's.

I print these on card stock and keep a supply in the parking garage with the chargers. Hope you find them useful.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Thanks for posting. My garage at work has two Blink chargers and for now I am the only EV using them. This information may be useful as more EVs start parking in this garage.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Great looking cards! But I have a question: How do you avoid setting off the Volt's alarm? On the few occasions when I have accidentally unplugged my Volt before unlocking my Volt, the horn starts honking.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You can turn the off the charge alerts in the Config menu.

·
Registered
178 Posts
How to turn the charge cord theft alert on/off on 2012 models

Great looking cards! But I have a question: How do you avoid setting off the Volt's alarm? On the few occasions when I have accidentally unplugged my Volt before unlocking my Volt, the horn starts honking.
In the 2012 model...

Charge Cord Theft alert to be turned on or off:
1. Press the vehicle settings menu
2. Select Comfort and Convience
3. Turn the Charge Cord theft alert feature on or off
4. Press Back to rewturn to the previous menu

·
Registered
970 Posts
The chargers at the garage across from my office have gotten very crowded during the last three months. We've needed to find ways to share the chargers between us. So we revived the Courtesy Charging Protocol that was used by the Rav4 and EV1 folks back during the first wave of electric vehicles.

In doing this, we created updated dashboard cards that are used to request a charge or to be clear about giving permission for someone to unplug our car. This has worked out really well, allowing more people to take advantage of the chargers.

The card is used by marking with a paper clip your car's signal for full battery, and marking with another clip a time of day that is OK to unplug after.

The first card is for both LEAF and Volt owners.

The other two cards are Volt specific. This card is used to request a charge. It includes instructions for how to be sure that charging has started, and how to switch the car from delayed charge to immediate charge. And this card is used to give permission to unplug. It shows only the Volt's light signals, not the LEAF's.

I print these on card stock and keep a supply in the parking garage with the chargers. Hope you find them useful.
Sheffield, we have very similar sharing challenges at my employer and I commend your efforts. I have a couple recommendations. First, in my ever so humble opinion the cards have too much information and text. I think some people will not bother to read through it entirely. Unfortunately with folks short attention spans these days, these cards need to be made with the same thinking as creating a billboard. You need to convey the most important information as quickly as possible. Since this is at used at work, your co-workers may learn to recognize these cards. But honestly if I parked next to you at a public charging station I probably would not notice your card.

I would try to reduce the amount of text, make the font bigger, and add some color!

Another suggestion is to eliminate the need for multiple cards. Keep the protocol as simple as possible. Having to look at the card to determine if its a protocol card vs. a charge request seems unnecessarily complicated IMHO. Why not just always assume anyone parked next to you with an open charge port door is by default requesting a charge? Otherwise why would they park there? This is the system we've implemented at my work. If you park near a charge station and leave your port door open, then when the person charging finishes they just plug in the next guy in line and move out.

One last suggestion, (again with the keep it simple attitude), I would eliminate the piece asking someone to override your delayed charging with the plug-unplug-plug routine for several reasons. First, some folks will not bother to do this. They will either just plug you in once or decide it's too much trouble and not plug you in at all. Either way = no charge for you! Second, as many of us have learned the hard way, if you unplug and then plug back in too quickly it triggers the MIL. And if someone else did this, you would have no way of knowing when you return to your car what triggered your MIL.

Instead, there's a very simple way to handle this. When you press the button to open your port door, the charge menu will pop up on the center stack with an option in the lower right to "Temporarily Override - Charge Immediately". This will happen even if you've already turned the car off! You just press that button, then once more to confirm and you're all set. I do this anytime I'm "waiting in line" and it works great. Since it only overrides for the next charge, once you drive home your delayed charging still works for your TOU plan. And you'll never get an MIL. Then it eliminates the need to ask someone else to do this for you.

Anyway, hopefully my input helps. Or tell me to go pound sand :D

·
Registered
509 Posts
Jim, that only works on 2012 Volts. For 2011's you have to take it to a dealer to have it disabled.
Thanks! Next time I get my tires rotated I'll have to do this. It's been a month or so since I last triggered my alarm, but it always seems to happen when I'm 'off my routine' and leaving for work early (e.g. at 5:00-6:00AM). I'm sure my neighbors are not pleased to hear my car honking at that time!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
One last suggestion, (again with the keep it simple attitude), I would eliminate the piece asking someone to override your delayed charging with the plug-unplug-plug routine for several reasons. First, some folks will not bother to do this. They will either just plug you in once or decide it's too much trouble and not plug you in at all. Either way = no charge for you! Second, as many of us have learned the hard way, if you unplug and then plug back in too quickly it triggers the MIL. And if someone else did this, you would have no way of knowing when you return to your car what triggered your MIL.

Instead, there's a very simple way to handle this. When you press the button to open your port door, the charge menu will pop up on the center stack with an option in the lower right to "Temporarily Override - Charge Immediately". This will happen even if you've already turned the car off! You just press that button, then once more to confirm and you're all set. I do this anytime I'm "waiting in line" and it works great. Since it only overrides for the next charge, once you drive home your delayed charging still works for your TOU plan. And you'll never get an MIL. Then it eliminates the need to ask someone else to do this for you.
It would be great if you make up cards that you like better and share them for all. These are working well for us.

I was not overly clear about the situation with the charge request. If you read the card it is for when I'm using a 110 charge but hoping to get a 220 once it becomes free. In that instance, when you unplug from an immediate charge Volt reverts to your regular programmed charge mode. And you get two happy honks, the car does not charge, and the favor is wasted.

After over 21k miles, and 14 months of driving, one gets to become very aware of these little things.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Got it, my bad, I'm off pounding sand. No seriously I am! At the Santa Cruz beach today :D. If your cards are working for you as is that's great. Feel free to ignore this total stranger's feedback. They were just suggestions, nothing personal.

Edit: BTW the EV card I made is linked in my sig and was shared for all months ago. There have been a few others shared on this forum including a cool magnet one you stick to your car. Everyone has the same goal and there's always room for improvement.

·
Registered
675 Posts
I would try to reduce the amount of text, make the font bigger, and add some color!
No disrespect to those who find the original cards satisfactory, but I agree with you and offer this alternative PDF file, and for those who want to edit further, a Word file.

Print on one sheet, write in your email, cell number and plate number, and cut apart on the light blue lines.

If anyone wants to add artwork or make it more colorful, please post your improvements. Edit: I did a little of that myself - revisions posted.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Toolworker,
Thank you very much; I have not used public charge yet but I will be printing your cards and keep them in the glove box.
Maybe this will put some courtesy in a world where it has been in rather limited quantity.
Cheers

Patrick

1 - 14 of 14 Posts