GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a couple of threads on how to secure the Volt's 110V charger when it is in use, but havent found a solution I was happy with. I have been backing over the cord to keep it secure under my tire, but am afraid of damaging the cord. I came up with what I think is a pretty good solution and I thought I would share.

I bought a short towing strap/loop - because it is small but really tough - and looped it around the charger cord. I secured the loop onto the charger cord with zip ties so that it could not be slipped off. The strap is small enough that I can easily keep it looped on the cord while it is stored.

Then, when I am charging, I simply roll over the strap instead of the cord. (see attached photos). While it is not 100% secure, it would be very difficult to cut the strap and steal the charger.

Tell me what you think. I got the strap on ebay for $19.

Attachments

·
Registered
622 Posts
What if somebody uses a big pair of scissors and cut the strap or the zip tie? At least they don't have to cut the cable. I think the method of looping the cable around the wheel and lock the cable loop up is the best approach. If they cut the cable, they'd have to repair it. With your approach, they can just cut the strap or the zip ties and the cable is intact. More incentive to steal because they don't have to repair anything.

·
Registered
22 Posts
I prefer just putting the charger in the trunk off the extension cord and then just coming out of the trunk to the charge port. Protects eveything. If they cut it. They just get somr of the cord.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Is there a lot of cases of stolen chargers? I would hope that I don't have to worry about that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
@volusiano you are correct, someone could theoretically cut the strap. But it would take more than a big pair of scissors. The strap is pretty tough. Oh, and cutting the zip ties wouldnt allow the strap to be removed, they are just there to keep the strap from sliding off easily. Once the tire has rolled over, the cord cant be slipped off. The idea here is to stop the casual thief, if someone really wanted to take the time and effort, this could be defeated, youre right.

The trade off is that this is simple, easy, and doesnt require me to carry around an extra spool of extension cord or anything else.

·
Administrator
20,582 Posts
@volusiano you are correct, someone could theoretically cut the strap. But it would take more than a big pair of scissors. The strap is pretty tough. Oh, and cutting the zip ties wouldnt allow the strap to be removed, they are just there to keep the strap from sliding off easily. Once the tire has rolled over, the cord cant be slipped off.
A variation could be to park the wheel on top of the wrapped cord, using the wrapping to protect the cord from pavement damage.

put the charger in the trunk and use an extention cord and close the trunk et voila ! i do that every day
Do you have pictures, 007martin?

·
Registered
622 Posts
put the charger in the trunk and use an extention cord and close the trunk et voila ! i do that every day
I was concerned that the seal in the trunk as well as the 2 protruding cords get hammered enough if done too often that both the trunk seals and the cords get damaged over time. So you don't have any problem with that?

·
Registered
61 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
You also could consider plugging in the charger, then locking the Volt using the remote key fob. The Volt will activate the alarm system monitoring after 30 seconds, so that if anyone unplugs the charger, the alarm will sound. If you want it to be armed immediately, press the lock button on the remote key fob twice within a 5 second interval.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Actually, I just received the cable lock and I must say, Im not thrilled. It's much bigger and heavier than I imagined. Also, hard to store in the Volt. It doesnt fit in any of the covered compartments in the back. Bummer.

I think Ill go back to my original idea with the heavy-duty strap. Not as secure, obviously, but "good enough".

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
I agree. This also protects the EVSE from rain/snow.

I know a lot of folks hat do that. Some just put the EVSE in the back seat floorboard and tun the cord through the window, using a piece of foam insulation (for pipes) over the top edge of the window before rolling it up.

·
Registered
193 Posts

·
Registered
970 Posts
Actually, I just received the cable lock and I must say, Im not thrilled. It's much bigger and heavier than I imagined. Also, hard to store in the Volt. It doesnt fit in any of the covered compartments in the back. Bummer.

I think Ill go back to my original idea with the heavy-duty strap. Not as secure, obviously, but "good enough".
I'll stand by my DIY cable lock :) Same principle as the one you bought but it fits perfectly in the storage cubby. I'm not a fan of any solution requiring you to get in and out of your car multiple times to set up and drive over something or run a cable through a window. Nor do I like the idea of closing a trunk, hood, or window on the cord. The setup below is quick and easy. The alternative cord loop and lock method is essentially the same concept, but you do lose some of your cord length. Either of those options would be my preference.

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?7958-Portable-110V-cord-anti-theft-device&p=96305#post96305

How is the weather resistance for the EVSE itself? Has anyone left theirs our in the rain?
I have quite a few times - no issues with the EVSE but make sure the outlet is not exposed. I've only used outlets with the little flip covers that keep water out.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
@joule thief - I like your solution. I was really hoping the lock and cable I bought had been the size and weight of your DIY design. I may use this when I get sick of backing up.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts