GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2014 Volt with 40K miles and it will no longer charge (I have tried multiple chargers). The dealer is telling me it is the charger port and that it is not covered by the 8 year EV warranty. Seems like it is clearly part of the EV system - anybody have experience with this?

Wouldn't be a big deal, but they are wanting $400 for it...

thanks,
chip

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Has the dealership ruled out the charger? The charge port is a pretty simple plug and wire combination. The charger, on the other hand, is a rather complex piece of equipment.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Yes, the port is covered. Mine was replaced after it would no longer charge on Level 2, three months ago.

My dealer even did a free software upgrade to rule out that issue as well, if you are in Minnesota. Rosedale Chevy.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
The port is covered. Get out your warranty manual to look it up and get GM involved or find another dealer.

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Yes, the port is covered. Mine was replaced after it would no longer charge on Level 2, three months ago.

My dealer even did a free software upgrade to rule out that issue as well, if you are in Minnesota. Rosedale Chevy.
Same here with my 2014, it's covered.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Any idea how to best get GM involved now that Volt Advisors are gone? The dealer is not being cooperative and my other local dealership no longer has a hybrid/ev certified mechanic so they won't even diagnose it

·
Registered
2,785 Posts
Any idea how to best get GM involved now that Volt Advisors are gone? The dealer is not being cooperative and my other local dealership no longer has a hybrid/ev certified mechanic so they won't even diagnose it
Try sending a Private Message to member Chevrolet Customer Svc. They are not on the forum every day, but they do appear often. They also list their phone number as (800) 222-1020.

·
Registered
30 Posts
My charge port literally has the word "VOLTEC" molded in the silver surround trim piece. Not sure how that couldn't be under the VOLTEC warranty. The charge port on my 2012 was replaced under warranty without question back in 2015. Your dealer is trying to swindle you. Walk away.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
My observation is the GM customer service reps generally just go with whatever the dealers says is covered not covered, right or wrong.

My reading is the high voltage components are covered. The charge port is a high voltage component. The EVSE is an accessory rather than a part of the car.

·
Registered
3,471 Posts
My observation is the GM customer service reps generally just go with whatever the dealers says is covered not covered, right or wrong.

My reading is the high voltage components are covered. The charge port is a high voltage component. The EVSE is an accessory rather than a part of the car.
I don't mean to quibble, Steverino, but, the port sees only 120v. That's not high voltage in my book. The port is definitely part of the Voltec system. How else can the battery be charged without it?

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I think the point that Steverino was trying to make is that it is considered "high voltage" since it's above the standard 12-14V the rest of the car uses. So be it either L1 or L2 charging, it's at least 10x's more voltage than otherwise found on other non-voltec components and therefor should (and IS according to the manual) be a covered item under the VOLTEC coverage.

·
Registered
1,997 Posts
I don't mean to quibble, Steverino, but, the port sees only 120v. That's not high voltage in my book. The port is definitely part of the Voltec system. How else can the battery be charged without it?
High voltage is anything above 12v for the car.

·
Registered
195 Posts
The port is covered. Get out your warranty manual to look it up and get GM involved or find another dealer.
Since there is a lot of varied dealer interpretation of the Voltec warranty, I would like to find some hard factual data for any possible future need. When I bought my 2013 it only had the basic owner's manual with it. I downloaded the infotainment manual, but have not been able to find the "warranty manual" you mentioned. The only info I have found so far are the GM warranty pages that list the Voltec items rather broadly, but give no real detail.

Can anyone scan a copy of the warranty manual or post a link to it? Many thanks!

3,605 Posts
Thanks for reaching out, Chip. Please know the charge port receptacle is covered under the 8yr/100k mile Voltec warranty. However, the portable charging cord set is not. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please send an email to [email protected] with your VIN and the name of the involved dealer.

To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Philip J.

·
Administrator
20,231 Posts
Thanks for reaching out, Chip. Please know the charge port receptacle is covered under the 8yr/100k mile Voltec warranty. However, the portable charging cord set is not. If you would like to discuss this matter further, please send an email to [email protected] with your VIN and the name of the involved dealer.

To learn more about GM's privacy policy, please visit https://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html.

Philip J.
Thanks, Philip

It's incredibly frustrating to have a dealer deny warranty coverage. Worse, calls to GM customer service often end up with a "whatever the dealer said" reply.

We recently had one member experience a High Voltage wiring harness failure between the charge port and on the board charger (not the EVSE). The dealer said the orange clad, HV wiring it was not covered and calls to GM simply mirrored that position.

There was no exterior damage to the wiring.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Mine was covered on my 2013 under the CPO warranty... twice. It was only replaced because the door kept sticking on it in the cold. With the 2013 if the door fails to open 5 times in a row after pressing the open button the car will throw a CEL.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts