GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The charger that came with my Volt appears to have broken inside the plug. It still works but I can't imagine this is safe. Since it's a certified pre-owned car is it possible this might be covered under warranty? I was going to superglue the one piece I still have then thought better. What if it breaks off inside the car socket? I looked closer and realized that the others are cracked as well. Is this common? So one prong is missing the plastic sleeve. I found another plastic sleeve nearby on the ground. There's at least one more that's cracked at the base.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
It should be covered under warranty if you are within the mileage and years. when you get the new one make sure to remove the broken plastic from the charge port. someone did the same thing then tried to jam the new one in there with the old plastic in the way.

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Depends on the dealer.
That type of breakage is typically associated to the plug being struck while plugged it.
If they accept it fine, but they just might state abuse and deny it.
If they warranty it and send it into the warranty parts center and GM denies it after the fact- dealer pays
So they might not risk it
GL
WOT

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I bought the car about a month ago, but it's a 2013 with 30k miles.

Does anyone sell replacement plugs? I'm not opposed to doing a little surgery to avoid spending $300-$400 on a new one.

·
Registered
2,778 Posts

Does anyone sell replacement plugs? I'm not opposed to doing a little surgery to avoid spending $300-$400 on a new one.
I did a quick Google search and found this:
http://www.tucsonev.com/
I don't know anything about these folks and there might less expensive options.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
449 Posts
I'd recommend JB Weld over super glue. If you can get the collar off, then you can clean the break before repair - and sand/shape/grind the hardened JB weld after the repair.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
The charger that came with my Volt appears to have broken inside the plug. It still works but I can't imagine this is safe. Since it's a certified pre-owned car is it possible this might be covered under warranty? I was going to superglue the one piece I still have then thought better. What if it breaks off inside the car socket? I looked closer and realized that the others are cracked as well. Is this common? So one prong is missing the plastic sleeve. I found another plastic sleeve nearby on the ground. There's at least one more that's cracked at the base.

Just hit the dealer and let us know what they say.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Before spending $250 on a cord, you might consider buying a whole new EVSE for not much more. Maybe one that can work as level 1 or level 2.

·
Registered
208 Posts
you are still covered under the 3 yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage,so a new evse is a no brainer
I would go to the dealer asap and get your new unit

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
you are still covered under the 3 yr/36,000 mile bumper to bumper coverage,so a new evse is a no brainer
I would go to the dealer asap and get your new unit
As WOT posted above, it depends. Items like that rarely break due to a defect/malfunction, etc. A dealer could certainly choose to warranty it as a goodwill gesture, but something like that is not really a 'no brainer'.

·
4,852 Posts

Man, back in 2011, GM replaced tons of these things because the plug on the wall side got too hot. That's a lot of replacement plugs for the car side, but my guess is they all just got tossed. :(

·
Registered
118 Posts
One more point: The EVSE for the Gen2 Volt can be used at 240 volts via an adapter. This is an unofficial feature of the EVSE, but it gives you close-to-level-2 charging times. If your dealer would replace your Gen1 Volt's EVSE with a Gen2 Volt's EVSE, and if you have a suitable 240-volt outlet handy, you could end up with significantly faster charging times for very little cost. That's a couple of big "ifs," but it might be worth considering.

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Most of the 2013 models are older than 36 months now. But not all.
even if it is not covered under the 3/36 it would be covered under the 8/100 as part of the Voltec system.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I haven't gotten it to the dealer yet, but I will. The biggest issue is if I did the damage, or it was pre-existing when I purchased the car. I'll plead ignorance because I didn't know what the plugs looked like inside until I looked closely when I found a piece on the ground. That was when I went and compared it to the charger that came with my wife's 2015 Volt. I'm not aware of anyone hitting the charger or tripping over the cord, but I can't say for certain that it didn't happen. Since the other plastic sleeve isn't stuck inside my car or my wife's I can only assume that it was missing when I purchased the car. Maybe if they split the difference with me on a new one we can all come out with smiles. Replacing it under warranty would obviously make me happiest.

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I went to the dealership and left, well, not satisfied, but not really surprised either. They had no idea what I was talking about when I asked about the Gen 1 Wind Buffeting fix - PI0642C. They said there were nor alerts or bulletins for my car listed so the 2013 Losing Miles: PIC6138 issue wasn't relevant. I explained that they wouldn't know if it was relevant until they ran diagnostics and checked the installed software versions against versions mentioned in the PIC6138 bulletin. That seemed to fly over their heads. I'll have to get a Volt Advisor involved for that one I guess. Finally I asked about the EVSE aka 'Cable'. They directed me to the parts department. The guy at the desk was helpful, and seemed to be attentive but ultimately he could only quote the price of a new EVSE for me. That didn't really get me what I needed. He said that everyone who might be able to answer questions about what is/isn't covered under warranty was in meetings or at lunch. I pointed out that without the EVSE I'm unable to charge my car. Imagine if you have a 4 week old car and the dealer told you it works fine except that you can't put gasoline in it. Effectively, it's part of the drivetrain. That seemed to solidify the problem for him. I realize that the car was purchased used, but the cable I think should be covered. If not, I guess I'll break out my soldering gun and get busy putting a new cord and plug on it. So I'm awaiting a phone call to see if they can do anything for me under the warranty for any of the issues.

·
Registered
56 Posts
FYI, I have a 2013 volt that I bought new and a few weeks ago I used the 120v charger for the 1st time and the handle got stuck and I could not get it off. I ended up breaking the handle trying to get it off. Anyway I was at the dealer for something else and told the dealer about my 120v handle. They gave me a new replacement EVSE for no charge saying it was covered by GM. Good luck.

Jay

1 - 20 of 24 Posts