GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been combing through the threads to see if this topic has been covered. I see how so many (admirably) have been concerned with public charging protocol when it comes to their own vehicles. Also the discussions concerning being "ICEd" from charge spaces. My question is how do you handle other EV drivers who park in a charger space and leave their car for the rest of the day?
Close to work we have a pay lot that serves both a high-rise office building and a restaurant/shopping complex at its base. The lot has four side-by-side charge-point stations that are occupied by (usually) the same four cars (a couple of Volts and two PIPs) from 8:00 to 5:00. It used to be nice to drive over, catch lunch and "top-off" the batteries. That of course is impossible now.
Anyone else had this experience? If so, how did you handle it?

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
Or, how to handle a Volt parked in an Airport EV spot for 4 days on a Mon-Fri business-trip blocking the spot from Leafs, Teslas and Codas from their much-needed BEV-juice? This kind of issue you mentioned is going to grow as EVs start to proliferate.

·
Premium Member
14,156 Posts
Hard issue. I would probably just not worry about it. The best you might do is to mention it to the operator. The other side of the issue is that these folks probably are at work all day long and don't want to have to come back to the lot to unplug and move their car. "Charge by time" payments would of course solve this. You could also try to park next to the cars on the ends, unplug the nearest car, and use the charger, replacing it when you're finished. That opens another set of issues but it's an option.

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
You might try leaving a polite note with your email address and ask how "we cool car guys can cooperate a little more"? A smile goes a long way towards that kind of negotiation. After all the pip's in particular really aren't using or getting much out of that compared to a Volt or a Leaf.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
A little weekend imagining - what if one of these happened again? http://www.businessinsider.com/gas-signs-1970s-2011-8?op=1
but instead of gas, it was for electricity with lines waiting to charge at "infrastructure stations"? It's nice to have the 120V option and the gas option of the Volt to not worry as much about getting a charge when possible rather than when required.

·
Registered
3,165 Posts
Dang you just reminded me I forgot to put the "EV courtesy card" in my windshield at the airport.. and forgot to lock with the metal key (so there is no alarm). Now I feel bad as I know I took the last 240EVSE (there are still 4 plugs for anyone's own 120v). The Chargers should have their own magnetic "EV courtesy" cars on the machine so we are all reminded to share better.

Any one here parked at Canopy at DIA? It was interesting to see 3 volt and a Leaf.. the most I've ever seen. Then again being at a watering hole (or juice bar in this case) is a natural place to see more animals in "wild".

·
Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
A little weekend imagining - what if one of these happened again? http://www.businessinsider.com/gas-signs-1970s-2011-8?op=1
but instead of gas, it was for electricity with lines waiting to charge at "infrastructure stations"? It's nice to have the 120V option and the gas option of the Volt to not worry as much about getting a charge when possible rather than when required.
Yikes! I remember those days (wait a minute, I can't be THAT old!). However, it is an interesting parallel - in that up to last month, there were at most two out of the four charging spaces taken. Now, you can't even find parking near the charging spaces.

It will only get worse here. Currently the shopping center portion is closed for remodeling. Wait until it reopens..

As someone said, at least for the Volt an open charging station is a "nicety" and not a "necessity".

·
Registered
1,480 Posts
When that storm blew through the east a couple weeks ago, it's lucky that the only Volt owner in my county (me) had solar power and didn't even notice...till my neighbors came over to borrow some space in my freezer and watch my TV while drinking their warm beer.
One neighbor didn't get power back till this Tuesday.

·
Registered
161 Posts
Although, as far as the case about leaving a Volt in an airport lot for a few days, I'd really prefer to be plugged the whole time. Especially if I'm paying $15 or whatever per day for the space. My main concern is the thermal issue. During the summer or winter, I would really prefer to be plugged in, with the car keeping the battery happy. I'm not thrilled about the long-term impact of leaving the Volt in 110+ degree temps. Hooray for the Thermal Management System. But it has to be plugged in (or vehicle running) to work.

Unfortunately, none of the Dallas-Fort Worth area airports have EVSEs. And none of the off-airport parking locations have them either! I still cannot believe this, but as far as I can tell, it's true. Until we get some, I don't have the above dilemma yet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
When that storm blew through the east a couple weeks ago, it's lucky that the only Volt owner in my county (me) had solar power and didn't even notice...till my neighbors came over to borrow some space in my freezer and watch my TV while drinking their warm beer.
One neighbor didn't get power back till this Tuesday.
That's Awesome!
(Not the neighbor being without power)

·
Registered
2,053 Posts
While I can't help with the first problem (all day/ work day charging), I might suggest something for those who mention airport parking for multi-day trips. Forget the slightly more expensive on-site parking at the airport and go to one of those places that involve a shuttle off-site. You'll save some bucks (perhaps), but you'll be able to get them to TEMPORARILY park your Volt next to an outlet. Your smart phone app insures that you can call a couple days ahead of your return and not get blown off that nobody ignored your plug in. It only takes one overnight near a 110 outlet and those (slightly) offsite parking areas seem to be more service oriented to get you to spend money with them instead of the government owned long term parking a bit closer to the airport. So, save some bucks, don't worry about level 2 charging and get a fully charged Volt upon your return- win/win/win.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I travel a fair amount and when I park at LAX which is free up to 30 days for us and so is the charging. I always leave a note in the windshield that says what date and time I can be unplugged so that others can use the juice. Fortunately the charge cords are pretty long to allow you to charge even if your a ways away from the charger. Also I shut off the alarm so it does not go off when someone does un plug me.

·
Registered
12 Posts
There are some systems that allow you to reserve the charger for a specified date and time. Anyone tried this approach? I know it's not available on all systems.

·
Registered
139 Posts
It's great if folks move after charging. I just can't break the time out of the day to spend a half hour moving the car though. Fortunately, we are usually having free chargers by noon, as the folks who work close to the charger do move theirs.

Once chargers become standard items, or once EVs and EREVs have a decent range, the problem will be only a memory. Like pay phones and soda fountains.

·
Registered
84 Posts
In The Woodlands area, there are two charging spot that is always taking up by non EV cars no matter when I go there and its freaking annoying. You think people in that area has more respect than that,

·
Administrator
20,463 Posts
In The Woodlands area, there are two charging spot that is always taking up by non EV cars no matter when I go there and its freaking annoying. You think people in that area has more respect than that,
The drivers no doubt feel they are punishing EV drivers for some imagined offense. A way of showing you how wrong you are. Likely some "gubmint" hate thrown in for good measure. That will show you!

Of course, they could simply be plain assh*les instead of EV hating assh*les :)

·
Registered
165 Posts
Same thing here in Dallas. You can complain but no business owner is going to tow a customer's car.

And Steverino I agree they are probably just a*#holes. Or just clueless. It's amazing how many people go through world never paying attention to anything. They're too busy texting to notice that they parked in the wrong space.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts