GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am sure I am on the hook for this one. Took the car out today and was surprised when I only had 5 miles of range after it had been charging for last 36 hours. Didn't worry about it much but once I got home realized the charging cord was dead. No lights of any kind. Tried a few different outlets on different breakers to be sure. I have only owned the car (used 2012) for 7 months but probably only moved the cord one time in that time frame. It was on a dedicated 15 amp breaker using 14-2 wire but 20 amp gfci outlet (not sure that matters anyway) in the garage. Not sure anything that can be done. I do have the recalled cord as it has the black 12 inch wall cord (as opposed to orange). I have popped it open and looks like previous owner tried to use clear silicone where the long cord enters the actual cord module and had some wires in center that the sheathing was cracked and flaking off but not sure if problem or not. I guess sign that I need to install a 240v system in garage. Kind of sucks I will be using gas the next few weeks but not much I can do it seems

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Could be the fuses inside the unit blew?

240V is definitely nicer.

·
Registered
5,782 Posts
I would try resoldering any iffy wires and check continuity through any fuses. Then sell it for scrap on eBay and replace with a CC 240v L2.

·
Registered
568 Posts
I would try resoldering any iffy wires and check continuity through any fuses. Then sell it for scrap on eBay and replace with a CC 240v L2.
Another option is buying a Gen2 EVSE as it supports 240V right out of the box. Took delivery of my Volt last week and already had a dedicated 240V circuit ran for it. All you have to do is buy or build an adapter plug for it and it will charge your volt at 240V @ 12A I believe.

Not sure of the price of used Gen2 EVSE's, but if the right deal comes along. I've seen where some people buy the car and the dealer tacked on a 2nd EVSE and people sometimes sell for cheap.

Clipper creek is who makes the Gen2 unit, so it's solid as a rock. If you are handy and like customization you can alwasy go the OpenEVSE route (they sell complete kits)

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
You could also try to get your local dealer to cover it under the 8 year 100K mile Voltec warranty.

Many people including myself have had the dealer replace the 120V EVSE under the 8 year warranty. Mine was even modified as the charge plug was damaged and I replaced it myself earlier.

So I would close it up and make it look pretty and try the dealer first.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I read about replacing fuses in the unit. I assume the are an in line fuse as my first quick glance I did not see any fuses but admit I focused on the frayed wiring. Here is quick pic I snap of the wires.

I have thought about contacting local dealer to see if I could get covered under warranty but think I am going to go ahead and run new wiring to the garage this week as well

Attachments

·
Registered
3,192 Posts
So I read about replacing fuses in the unit. I assume the are an in line fuse as my first quick glance I did not see any fuses but admit I focused on the frayed wiring. Here is quick pic I snap of the wires.

I have thought about contacting local dealer to see if I could get covered under warranty but think I am going to go ahead and run new wiring to the garage this week as well
Oh wow that wiring is bad. That looks like a dead short. An internal fuse certainly might have blown.

If the fuse is accessible and you are handy at soldering it might be fixable (and replacing the wires). I'm not terribly familiar with the Lear units but if there is a lot of conformal coating on the board it might be difficult.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Another option is buying a Gen2 EVSE as it supports 240V right out of the box. Took delivery of my Volt last week and already had a dedicated 240V circuit ran for it. All you have to do is buy or build an adapter plug for it and it will charge your volt at 240V @ 12A I believe.

Not sure of the price of used Gen2 EVSE's, but if the right deal comes along. I've seen where some people buy the car and the dealer tacked on a 2nd EVSE and people sometimes sell for cheap.

Clipper creek is who makes the Gen2 unit, so it's solid as a rock. If you are handy and like customization you can alwasy go the OpenEVSE route (they sell complete kits)
^^^^This^^^^ In addition, reading about Chris TX findings and being aware of his caveats and that recharging from "empty" will take 5.5 hours, not 4.5 from a ~$400 unit would be beneficial:

http://gm-volt.com/forum/showthread.php?218442-Gen2-Volt-EVSE-conversion-to-L2-L1-combo-DONE!&highlight=chris

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So looks like it is a fuse which is an in line fuse. I have cut the three wires and taken the fuse out. I temporarily spliced all wires back together with no fuse and unit powered on with all green lights. I have ordered a replacement fuse (20a 500v) and will solder everything back together with some wire heat wrap and hope it holds up. Still planning on wiring up a 14-50 outlet and picking up a level 2 charger but can still use the voltec charger when no access an outlet except standard 110

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Its alive...So got the new fuse solder in yesterday and all is working. Had to use some Gorilla glue and tape to hold the charger back together so not as pretty as it used to be but hopefully holds up for a while longer while I work on getting wiring ran in my garage for a 220 plug

·
Registered
11 Posts
Glad you got it working again! Just curious, what made you decide to forego the possibility of getting the charger replaced for free under the Voltec warranty?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Glad you got it working again! Just curious, what made you decide to forego the possibility of getting the charger replaced for free under the Voltec warranty?
Couple things:
One, I was dumb and first few post I read on this happening mentioned that GM wouldn't cover it, and read something about a fuse so figured I would just pop it open and take a look. Looking back I may have left it along and tried with GM at least. I am outside the 36k warranty so who knows what would have happened. Once I had it popped apart there was no turning back though since it does jack it from going back together cleanly.

Second is just my personality of when something breaks I like to take it apart and see how it works. Done this with computer stuff and small engine stuff since i was a kid so just my own curiosity. That being said there are plenty of times I make things worse but still call it lesson learned.

Not to worried about it since I will be getting the electric ran for a Level 2 charger here pretty quick thought when I go to sell the car it may look a little suspicious

1 - 13 of 13 Posts