GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I assume these may get stolen or misplaced from time to time, I need one as my Volt I juts bought didn't come with one. The stock factory ones cost the same as a 240 wall unit. Other ideas, or resource for a working used one? I just got this car this week and am SOOO excited!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Evse

Congratulations on getting your new Volt. If you are interested in the latest model unit from GM, you can find them on eBay. This one is supposed to be able to use either 120v, or with an adapter for the plug 240v. It is made by Clipper Creek for GM, so it should be bullet proof. Search for p/n 23277717 or 24277224. I think I have seen some for under $300 if my memory is right.

·
Registered
508 Posts
I would buy a replacement cord for a 2016 or later Volt. It will work fine with your 2011, or any other Plug-in vehicle for that matter, since the inlet on all North American cars use the society of automotive engineers "J1772" standard.

The cord for 2016 and later will also work with a 240 V source, as well as 120 V, doubling your charging speed. You will need a 240 V outlet, and an adapter cord to get the faster charging.

GSP

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Did you look under the floor where the cord is placed when stowed?

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
Also contact the seller and ask if they still have it. There is no excuse for not including it with the car unless the car was advertised as missing it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
FOUND IT!!

Hurrah! The owner was just flipping it and even HE didn't look in the storage bin! I have it! GREAT update! Thanks for the help! CAN WAIT to have more fun driving it now!

ANY other owner tips?

·
Registered
3,945 Posts
Hurrah! The owner was just flipping it and even HE didn't look in the storage bin! I have it! GREAT update! Thanks for the help! CAN WAIT to have more fun driving it now!

ANY other owner tips?
There's two little hatches in the cargo area, one on each side. The left one has some connector access so you'll want to be careful of what you put in it. I keep the cargo cover (aka "Volt panty") in the righthand one. (Hunk of black cloth that has elastic loops that fit over the hooks in the corners of the cargo area. It ain't much, but it keeps the cargo area a little obscured from prying and inquisitive eyes, and keeps the sun off my ice cream on the way home from the grocery.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
ANY other owner tips?
This forum probably has hundreds of owner tips. Few of them are really essential. Just drive it like any other car and enjoy it. The one topic I would point out is the tires. There is no spare tire and the OEM Goodyear Assurance Fuel Max tires (if your car even still has them) are widely considered to be kind of lame and prone to blowouts. Be careful about brushing curbs or hitting potholes. Replacing the tires with something better is a good idea when the time comes. Some people have added a spare tire to their car.

Also, the best tire pressure is a debated topic, but many owners add at least a few extra pounds of pressure, which IMO is essential to get good tread wear and cornering performance. Definitely don't run them low. The recommended PSI was originally 35 for the 2011 model year, but was later raised to 38 for later model years through the first generation. I use 45.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so there IS a charger but it doesn't work. With all these people isn't there a GO TO place or guy to repair these things or upgrade them to 240v? I feel like a dope but I have 3 kids, I WANT to love this car but I cant charge it. Ebay risk, not knowing what you get or even what to look for... is chilling the thrill of ownership.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
home charger

thousands of these EV sold, the write ups often speak of charges going out after warranty. Usually a good hack or repair guy rises to the surface and is a go to source that people trust and respect.
Who do these Volt folks trust/
I have had my volt 2 weeks and am at 49.5 MPG. I WANT to be a big MPG and my driving locations is perfect for it but I HAVE to get this charging issue under way.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
So where are you located? Have you tried charging at the stealership (assuming they have a volt) or at a plug-in station?

You need to figure out if it's the EVSE or the car by trying another EVSE. Even a Leaf charger will work.

·
Registered
962 Posts
How many miles are on the car? The EVSE should be covered byt he 8 year 100k mile warranty. (150K in CA.) If you are under that, take it in to a Chevy Dealer.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
When my charger is plugged in its all green, then when I plug it in the car, the right charger light blinks red.
What does that entail? Why is that, what does it signify? What does the code mean?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
When my charger is plugged in its all green, then when I plug it in the car, the right charger light blinks red.
What does that entail? Why is that, what does it signify? What does the code mean? I tried many different outlets.

I have low miles but it IS a salvage title so they wont warranty it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts