GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ChargePoint is excited to offer Volt drivers a free ChargePoint Card! Your free card will allow you to easily access the world's largest network of public charging stations.

You can use ChargePoint Network to search for public charging stations, find unoccupied stations, check station pricing, and make station reservations. You can even monitor your car as it charges, get alerts when it's fully charged, and track your energy usage across each station.

To get your free card, sign up here: http://chargepoint.net/volt/.

Then check out how it all works here: http://chargepoint.net/how-sign-up.php.

Happy driving!

-Elizabeth, ChargePoint Team

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Thanks for the free card. However, you need to be aware and understand that 350green is running a bunch of your chargers and as of June 1, they are charging $2 per hour with a 1 hour minimum. Most Volt owners on this forum will not be using these stations at this price per hour. The free card you are offering here will be of no use at these stations.

I know this is not specifically your problem, but 350green is doing a huge disservice to the EV community with their pricing policy.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Thanks! Good to have one handy in case a free charger pops up.

·
Registered
218 Posts
The card makes ChargePoint charging stations very easy to use. However for pay chargers, You have to be careful about ending your session (you can do it with smartphone app., I'm not sure what you do if you don't have a smartphone) when your car is fully charged so you don't keep getting charged when the car is still plugged in. This makes it hard to use ChargePoint charging stations at night specifically for Volt owners who only need 4 hours of charge.

Todd from ChargePoint is helping me work out an issue I had the first time I used a pay charger. I think I understand it all now but its not as easy as it should be.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I use public charging stations when I really need to recharge the battery as long as they are free or priced at or around an equivalent cost if I had to travel on gas. Anything above an equivalent gas cost does not make sense financially. Yes, charging is greener than filling up with gas but the price has to be reasonably competitive. Unfortunately, as long as charge station owners are not allowed to charge by power delivered and instead must charge by hours/minutes, the Volt's charging capacity of 3.3 kWh on Level 2 makes it completely unattractive compared to the Leaf, Focus, etc.

·
Registered
455 Posts
Need more in Phoenix AZ. You have 2 locations. Bink has close to 300. Just saying...

·
Registered
437 Posts
This is the card you need to be able to get free charging at my local Whole Foods grocery stores. Not sure if all the Whole Foods locations use the same network though.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
If the card is now free - could it be there is a move to make more of the stations for-fee?

·
Registered
437 Posts
If the card is now free - could it be there is a move to make more of the stations for-fee?
I'm guessing this is a market share play. If ChargePoint can brag that 99% of EV owners have a chargepoint card then they can get more business from citys, national grocery chains, shopping malls, theater chains, etc ... to install stations

If they get enough market share they might even be able to roll out a "validation" program to nearby merchants. i.e. "CVS will validate (comp) your charging session with any purchase".

·
Registered
571 Posts
Got mine many month ago, never paid a dime. We have CP stations at our headquaters, but sadley not at my location. Used that station recently, as well ones at the subway station parking garage in Cambridge MA. Works great.

·
Registered
5,431 Posts
I can't sign up because Puerto Rico is not in the list of "states". The USPS treats us as a "state" for ninety years, yet many American business still consider Puerto Rico as a "country".

·
Registered
538 Posts
Cool, now can we get some stations in and around Jacksonville at a better rate (the airport is $2.50/hr; a rate that's drawing little business). A free Sema Charge station is here, but there's only one (at the Town Center Mall) :( I've been asking the local Zoo, museums, restaurants and Avenues Mall but no luck. Maybe they need help from a manufacturer.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Cool, now can we get some stations in and around Jacksonville? Sema Charge is here, but there's only one (at the Town Center Mall) :( I've been asking the local Zoo, museums, restaurants and Avenues Mall but no luck. Maybe they need help from a manufacturer.
Tell everyone you know in Jacksonville to get a free card so that Chargepoint can make the case to city hall to start installing stations.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They have a Couloumb charger in my ACE Parking garage and they charge $2.50 per hour (so that would be $7.50 for a full charge?). I've seen exactly one car (a Volt) parked in it within the past three months. Besides being a rip-off and not making any economical sense I wouldn't be surprised if this hurts the perception of EV vehicle cost. At least most garages with EV chargers offer them for free.

Thanks for the free card. However, you need to be aware and understand that 350green is running a bunch of your chargers and as of June 1, they are charging $2 per hour with a 1 hour minimum. Most Volt owners on this forum will not be using these stations at this price per hour. The free card you are offering here will be of no use at these stations.

I know this is not specifically your problem, but 350green is doing a huge disservice to the EV community with their pricing policy.

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Just signed up.. but am in Canada! We'll see if I get anything!
How did you apply? The form doesn't include provinces. I don't know if I need a CP card for the oft-chance I'm near one of the half-dozen locations in Vancouver (they're all free)

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
They have a Couloumb charger in my ACE Parking garage and they charge $2.50 per hour (so that would be $7.50 for a full charge?).
More like $10 for a full charge.

1 - 20 of 78 Posts