GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have received confusing information about whether the Chargepoint cards are RFID (radio frequency identification) tags or not. For instance, my Plugshare app tells me a local charging station needs a "Chargepoint RFID card".

Basically, I've scanned my Chargepoint card into my phone so that I don't have to carry the card. If the Chargepoint card is read by an optical reader, this should be OK. If, however, the Chargepoint card is an RFID tag, this won't work (as the Chargepoint device will be looking for an RF signal).

The Chargepoint website does not say much about this one way or another.

So, is the Chargepoint card able to be used by optical scanning or is it an RFID tag? (Or is it both?)

·
Registered
267 Posts
Best as I can tell, it's scanned by an optical reader. If that charging location is on the ChargePoint network, you could also initiate a charging session with the phone app.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
I have received confusing information about whether the Chargepoint cards are RFID (radio frequency identification) tags or not. For instance, my Plugshare app tells me a local charging station needs a "Chargepoint RFID card".

Basically, I've scanned my Chargepoint card into my phone so that I don't have to carry the card. If the Chargepoint card is read by an optical reader, this should be OK. If, however, the Chargepoint card is an RFID tag, this won't work (as the Chargepoint device will be looking for an RF signal).

The Chargepoint website does not say much about this one way or another.

So, is the Chargepoint card able to be used by optical scanning or is it an RFID tag? (Or is it both?)
What did Chargepoint say when you called them?

·
Registered
921 Posts
Can't be purely optical as I never even take mine out of the folder it came in and it works fine.
It's also passive as there is no power source in it.

I think it acts as a tuned circuit that is detected by the RF generator in the station, which can probably sense the power drawn at different frequencies. Needs to be pretty close to activate the station, so it seems pretty weak as RF goes.

·
Registered
294 Posts
It's an RFID tag. Take a bright flashlight and shine it through the tag. You can clearly see the coil and the circuitry in the middle.

·
Registered
907 Posts
It's RFID.
At least mine is.
100% positive.

·
Registered
638 Posts
Using the card is simple, you don't even have to remove it from your wallet, it will scan just by placing your wallet containing your card against to scan plate and it will register...remember to scan your card again when completed charging to prevent text notification of vehicle not charging

·
Registered
948 Posts
Can't be purely optical as I never even take mine out of the folder it came in and it works fine.
It's also passive as there is no power source in it.
I believe it's RFID as my card tends to work better when scanning card with bar code facing away from the reader.

It also accepts credit cards that have RFID in them, below is from their web site:

"You can easily start a session with your ChargePoint card, using the ChargePoint mobile app, with an RFID credit card or by calling driver support at 888-758-4389. The 888 number is listed on each ChargePoint station and on the back of your ChargePoint card. "

http://www.chargepoint.com/faq/

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
the binks card is --look for a )))) logo some where on the card. the icon arc's more like a flash light beam

·
Registered
600 Posts
It may be RFID but hopefully it's more specifically NFC or "Near Field Communication." It utilizes magnetic resonance to power the circuits in the card. A smartphone can emulate NFC cards. There might not be any software for this application though. You might try something like "NFC Wallet Agent."

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
I was able to read the basic information from the card using my phones built in nfc reader, so it looks like it uses nfc. I was able to read the tag ID in both hex and dec. It indicates "Technologies; IsoDep, NfcA" which I presume are protocols of some sort.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It may be RFID but hopefully it's more specifically NFC or "Near Field Communication." It utilizes magnetic resonance to power the circuits in the card. A smartphone can emulate NFC cards. There might not be any software for this application though. You might try something like "NFC Wallet Agent."
RFID and NFC use the same technology. If you have an NFC phone, hold it up to an RFID reader and watch as it tries to connect.

Chargepoint sent me an RFID tag when I signed up, but I can also use NFC on my phone to start it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts