GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While it is handy to have an illuminated charging port on the car, since I use my home 110V charger/EVSE 100% of the time (so far), why didn't the makers of these EVSEs spend an extra dollar and put a small led light on the charging plug?

Then you could both find the plug in the dark AND the charging port (before even opening the door/cover). Seems like a better solution - much simpler. All these folks who go to the trouble to put a light under the charging port door seem to be going to allot of unnecessary trouble buying equipment and rewiring their Volt's.

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
While it is handy to have an illuminated charging port on the car, since I use my home 110V charger/EVSE 100% of the time (so far), why didn't the makers of these EVSEs spend an extra dollar and put a small led light on the charging plug?

Then you could both find the plug in the dark AND the charging port (before even opening the door/cover). Seems like a better solution - much simpler. All these folks who go to the trouble to put a light under the charging port door seem to be going to allot of unnecessary trouble buying equipment and rewiring their Volt's.
This is exactly how the Voltec EVSE that came with my 2015 works. Push the button, and an LED lights up inside the plug like a little flashlight. Very handy, and I miss that feature when using the Duosida.

·
Registered
270 Posts
Depends on the EVSE Manufacturer. Some include a light, some do not. My 2014 had a light but 2018 does not.

·
Administrator
20,200 Posts
My 2011 Voltec 240V EVSE has a light in the handle.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
I use a JESLA (1st gen Tesla UMC with a J1772 grafted onto it) for our Volt. The J1772 plug has a LED bulb it it. It is somewhat dim though - and the area where we park the Volt is pretty dark. So the illuminated charge port is the real solution.

I mentioned it to Tony Williams a couple years ago. His comment was that I had an early JESLA (I bought it used from a guy on eBay), because his more recent JESLAs don't have the light.

·
Registered
897 Posts
The illuminated charge port does help.

Also we charge in our garage and I installed a light near the EVSE. It automatically goes on and off with the garage door opener lights, which are what it's connected to.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
393 Posts
The only thing I can add in favor of the illuminated charge port is that no matter where you are, or who's plug you're using, the illuminated port is always right there.

·
Registered
3,590 Posts
And you do not get calls in the middle of the night that the volt is sparking when they pull out the plug
because they triggered the light switch on the plug.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts