GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My brother told me he saw a dent in my flawless Volt last night, that I might not have noticed (With the silver paint, the light has to be "just right" to see it). I thought he was kidding, but when I went out to look, there it was, and after examination, it turns out that the forward edge of the charge port door contacts the bodywork when fully opened. I guess I can get it pulled out by a paintless dent removal magician, but it doesn't seem that spending $75 just to have it happen again would be smart.

Is this a design goof, or can the door be adjusted so it doesn't bang into the fender when opened?

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
My brother told me he saw a dent in my flawless Volt last night, that I might not have noticed (With the silver paint, the light has to be "just right" to see it). I thought he was kidding, but when I went out to look, there it was, and after examination, it turns out that the forward edge of the charge port door contacts the bodywork when fully opened. I guess I can get it pulled out by a paintless dent removal magician, but it doesn't seem that spending $75 just to have it happen again would be smart.

Is this a design goof, or can the door be adjusted so it doesn't bang into the fender when opened?
I just checked mine. It has about 1/4 inch of clearance between the body and the door when open. There is probably an adjustment that needs tweaking.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just checked mine. It has about 1/4 inch of clearance between the body and the door when open. There is probably an adjustment that needs tweaking.
Hmmm . . . Maybe I can talk the dealer into honoring a warranty claim, but probably should wait to adjust the door before checking out that path!

·
Administrator
19,974 Posts
Pictures of the issue?

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pictures of the issue?
Here are pix, but the door doesn't go all the way to the ding, although the edge lines up perfectly with the ding. I didn't try to force it more open to see if it would go, but it's obvious that it went all the way to the bodywork once upon a time, and I can't imagine how I could have done it.

VoltDing.jpg VoltDoor.jpg

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
I don't think this is limited to the Gen 2 as I recently noticed a similar "ding" apparently from the charge port door on my '13 as well. Plenty of clearance as you have as well. Having bought used, I don't recall having seen it at purchase since there were already a couple minor dings here and there, but it does appear there is something either in design or operation that caused it. When the port door is closed, there are no unusual gaps around the door so it doesn't appear to be an alignment issue.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Here are pix, but the door doesn't go all the way to the ding, although the edge lines up perfectly with the ding. I didn't try to force it more open to see if it would go, but it's obvious that it went all the way to the bodywork once upon a time, and I can't imagine how I could have done it.

View attachment 137065 View attachment 137057
It looks like accidental damage to me. The body-coloured cap slides over the hinge. Perhaps something knocked it while open and the edge slid into the fender. If you'd done it, though, you would have known.

That cap can also be removed by high pressure washing or drying at the car wash. It's happened to me.

·
Registered
926 Posts
When you open the charging door, do you just let it fly open and come to a stop on it's own or do you guide the door to a stop, never releasing the door from your grasp? Though based on others' mention that the cap can slide off the door, perhaps someone at dealership had done the damage and simply slid the cap back into place and given your own account that the dent is hard to see on the Silver Ice Metallic paint job, they didn't think anything of it.

Wouldn't this fall under the warranty since you can argue the cap is loose and caused damage to the paint?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Same exact thing happened to my car but in my case, my kids were playing in the driveway near the car and hit into the charging door snapping the plastic cover in half. I had it replaced at the dealer but the ding was there. I assume when they broke the door, they hit it into the body.

I've been debating getting it repaired by a body shop.

·
Registered
309 Posts
I tested mine this morning and found that I can force the door to over extend and contact the fender. Easy to dent the fender doing this. I guess the engineering choices were to make it rigid and break off, or flexible and contact the fender. Wouldn't call it a defect or a warranty repair when pushed past it's limits. Just a common insurance item.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Chevy Volt Charge Door Dent

Mine has the same problem, I have a 2017 volt, and mine has a clearance so I don't understand the dent, I am very careful with it... I took pictures of it...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts