GM Volt Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give up and want to change my 2013 door to the 2014 style. The one without the fancy release that is a lemon design.

How do I do that? I want the push to release door instead.

I have THREE VOLTS so this is really going to be an irritation if this is a consistent problem.:mad::mad:

FWIW, I've tried lubing up the pin and everything else. THE LATCH WONT RELEASE SO THERE IS NO SHOT AT PRYING IT OPEN WITH ANYTHING.

The problem gets worse as it gets colder. Here in the frozen midwest, I've had to have a space heater blowing on it for hours before it releases.

When it's warm, the actuator moves the full travel just like my other two Volts. But when the thing gets cold, it makes very little noise as it tries to move the pin and the PIN DOES NOT MOVE.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Try heating up a pot of water, put it on a stool or whatever just under the door, let the steam do its magic and return in about 5-mins. This is what I had to do when it was -33 yesterday.

Same here, its the a huge engineering oversight and a source of frustration. I feel that they should have recalled everything built after 2014, going back to the 2011s and added some sort of manual override. Or why don't they just remove the door? The charge-port jack is allegedly waterproof.

DO NOT ATTEMPT TO PRY IT. Just makes it worse.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
I feel for you. My '13 had this fixed 3 times before it worked reliably. Hasn't been a problem since.

I'm not sure if your situation is the same, but when mine would malfunction it would actually "release" it just would not spring open. I would need to pry it open--carefully--to charge. Hope your B2B warranty is still active--although this is a KNOWN issue and should be fixed as a courtesy. I would also argue it's part of the POWERtrain warranty, because how could it not if you can't physically get POWER to an electric vehicle?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hello MrEnergyCzar!
I loved your youtube videos! It finally pushed me into my 2012 Volt CPO purchase!
Mine was "up to date" when I bought it apart of the CPO program.
Do you know what kind of work they did for you? My service advisor says there is no outstanding issues or recalls for my vehicles. I'm curious if the OP also had the same situation.

·
Registered
3,440 Posts
If you press the release button and the door stays closed, it will set some kind of trouble code. If the dealer reads that trouble code, they can fix it under the Voltec warranty (not the b to b warranty). They will replace the actuator or the door, etc. That is your best bet at this point.

I don't know if it can be changed to the manual door or not, but I'm guessing that it either can't or it would require too much re-engineering that the pre-2014 models were not made for. Maybe Chevy will get tired of replacing these under warranty and issue an updated version that works better.

If mine acts up again after the Voltec warranty, I would consider possibly removing the door all together. Or at least removing the rubber boot on the door, which I believe is the problem in some cases (not yours). Or you could remove the pin and close it with velcro. Put a little knob on the outside to pull it open with. I know that would be kind of "rigged," but to cure the frustration, it is justified, IMO.

Chevy did the right thing by changing the design for later model years.

·
Registered
2,259 Posts
@ driver779. They replaced the arm assembly/actuator pieces. Now, several years later its sticking again. I just found out my kid has been pressing the charge door release on the fob and prying it open by hand. Will have to get replaced again at next oil change.

·
Registered
26 Posts
if you need to plug in the car now the hold door comes out with out hurting it so you can work on it

the doors can be swapped out and the door wiring is plug and play that says the door is open

i had to install a used finder on my car and it was a power open door and i had a 2014 push open door

it well help but pull the finder liner out where the door is to get your hand behind it and push out from the driver side door and you well see it all comes out the say way the door opens and it well be all in your hand ... the 110 220 plugs is installed on the side of the car so it well not move

i would add pics to do this but this website makes it very hard to add pics

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Had same problem on my 2013. Once it worked I stopped closing door with my fingers and used the palm or back of my hand to avoid bending hinges up or down. Not one failure in two years since. Depending on your hand height one tends to push up or down. Need to push totally horizontally.

·
Registered
72 Posts
@ driver779. They replaced the arm assembly/actuator pieces. Now, several years later its sticking again. I just found out my kid has been pressing the charge door release on the fob and prying it open by hand. Will have to get replaced again at next oil change.
I'd be interested to see what comes of this. Keep us posted! I'm going in for a tire rotation after New Years, I'll do the same. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
My 2013 has had the frozen door issue a few times but the actuator pin has never failed (it appears to be a solenoid device) and has always moved with the push of the door button or the fob button. I have a piece of foam weather stripping stuck onto the hinge side to help pop it open (it acts a bit like a bumper between the hinge and the socket to make the door spring open faster).

Down the road, after all warranties are exhausted and if failure, I may cut off the plastic point part where the door hits the pin and then fashion some sort of other connector, possibly a magnetic catch one would use for a glass door on a bookcase for example. If that would not work, I would try something simpler. Maybe even a finger hole and just a magnet. Of course, I will need to make sure the sensor still detects the charge door as opened or closed.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts