GM Volt Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a 2014 Volt 4 months ago with a bout 35k miles. I have needed to use gasoline only once, when it prompted me to do the "preventative maintenance" for 10 minutes at about 2.5 months. My wife drove further twice and used gasoline for some 30 miles total on gasoline. It has charged in my garage using the included level 1 EVSE on a 15 amp circuit with no problem for 3.5 months. (Yes, the warranty ended at 3 months.)

Two weeks ago, it seemed to be charging for about 1 hour and then the horn began beeping. It had tripped the CFCI. I reset it, and it did the same again but in only 10 seconds. All of the outlets in or near the garage are GFCI and all did the same thing. Those are on 3 separate circuits. The console display showed "charging interrupted" or something like that. I began making plans for a dedicated 240V line to the garage and have ordered a level 2 EVSE.

Meanwhile, I began using another circuit, a 20 amp circuit in the mud room, which is close enough that the cord reaches without any extension cord. It has worked for 2 weeks without a problem. Yesterday, we had a brief hard rain on the Volt. When I got home, I connected it, and it appeared to be charging for about 30 minutes, and then the EVSE began making relay clicking sounds. The lights on he EVSE stayed green. The car charge light turned amber, and would then briefly turn green and beep the horn, and then go dark. The entire time the EVSE would click at about once a second. I got ready to unplug it, and the clicking stopped, and the car looked like it was charging...but for only about 10 seconds. I then unplugged everything. The J1772 looks dry, with no obvious corrosion of the pins or sockets. I left the connector door open in case there was any moisture in there that I could not see.

No circuit breaker has been tripped by the EVSE.

This morning, after giving it time to dry, I tried again, but it behaved the same. I let it click only briefly and did not give it another chance before disconnecting it. I took the Volt to a public ChargePoint station, and there it appeared to charge for at least 2 minutes, and then the ChargePoint began clicking, and repeatedly charging, stopping, resuming and beeping, and losing power. I do not see an error on the car's display. I let OnStar expire, so do not get diagnostics any longer. When I still had it, there were no errors reported.

It appears that this is not my level 1 EVSE. The connector pins "look" okay to me. My Chevrolet dealer cannot see it in less than 5 days. He has sold very few Volts, so I am not optimistic of their expertise to provide a quick diagnosis and repair. I have a 240 V line and a level 2 EVSE making their way to my garage, but am now concerned that there will be no EV there when they arrive.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
30 Posts
My uneducated, inexperienced (Volt owner 9 months) thoughts are the port may be loose. I've read a lot about Volts pre- and post- purchase and there's been a few reports of it. Symptoms similar to yours. I have no additional information, but recommend you search for charge port issues (if you have not already).

·
Registered
223 Posts
A new charge port is $80 or so and easy to swap out. If its not that it might be the charger, you can find them at breakers for about $300. My charger failed and swapping it out for a used one fixed the problem. Its not too hard to do.

·
Registered
11 Posts
My Volt EVSE that came with the car went out a few months ago. It made the same clicking/popping noise, and I got several of the same messages you described. For me nothing was wrong on the vehicle, I just needed a new EVSE. Have you tried charging through another EVSE and had the same issue? I bought a "cheap" EVSE off Amazon for under $200. Its both level one and two. Haven't had any issues since.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Was the J 1772 charge port a user replaceable part? I have not tried to see how to get to the connections from behind the fender.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was not sure if the details about the tripping of the CFCI first changed anything. I was not seeing that progressing to the EVSE relay cycling as mine has done.

·
Registered
389 Posts
There are videos about changing the port, looks extremely simple. Everything comes out the charge port door, no need to get behind the fender. Once the trim comes out I believe there are three screw holding the port in place. remove those, pull it out, unhook the connector, install the new one

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was told it was a recall problem that required only a reprogramming for a low cell. Fixed without any part replacement. Working again even using the GFCI outlet. Sweet.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Now I have wired a 240V outlet in the garage, and bought a Clipper Creek level 2 EVSE. Even sweeter now. No misbehavior any longer. Does anyone have any insight into what was causing all of this weird behavior?

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
Perhaps there was a bad ground connection at the main service panel. When the electrician installed the 240V circuit they may have checked and tightened the ground connection.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The problem went away when the software upgrade was applied, not when 240V EVSE was installed.

·
Registered
4,854 Posts
The problem went away when the software upgrade was applied, not when 240V EVSE was installed.
Software does not behave that way; work one day and then not work the next time you attempt to charge. Still sounds like there may be or have been a Volt related (not EVSE related) problem, bad house wiring or a bad Volt wiring harness or a crack in the insulator of the Volt's charging port. I hope your problem does not recur but I would not be surprised if the symptom reappears.

·
Registered
136 Posts
The earlier suggestion that a cracked charge port was the root cause still makes sense.

Dirt and moisture in the crack can be a leakage path from an AC in hot lead to ground, tripping GFCIs. Note the EVSE itself performs a GFCI function.

It may that it's not currently happening with the new Clipper Creek simply because time elapsed and things are drier, so less apt to form a conductive path in a crack.

- Lumos

1 - 14 of 14 Posts